Running cables behind false chimney-breast

Jay1977

Standard Member
Hi,

We're having a false chimney-breast built soon with the TV mount above.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how best to run cables (tv/sound-bar) from behind the wall-mount down to floor level?

I'm not sure how it's usually done, however I'm planning to buy all cables before installation but I don't know how much access we'll have if we ever want to change the TV in the future.

Thanks

mikej

It's hard to advise without actually seeing it - is the false chimney breast completely hollow ? If so, then running cables should be fairly simple. You could potentially incorporate a cavity into the woodwork that would allow you to run current cables and also leave space for additional cables or cable swapping/upgrading in the future. PVC trunking is another option but make sure that you use trunking wide enough to allow plug ends to pass through unhindered and be careful of any 90 degree bends that might make feeding cables tricky.

Brush cable entry/exit faceplates like these make for a neat-looking installation.

You might also want to consider incorporating a double socket behind the TV (rather than burying the TV power cable in the wall) as this would allow for an easier TV upgrade in the future and also allow you to power accessories like a Fire TV Stick (etc). If there's enough room, then an electrical socket and outlet plate could be recessed in the wall in a cavity near the TV bracket if you want to use a slimline bracket and/or space behind the TV is an issue. Just make sure that it can't be seen from the front.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom