1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

running cables along skirting - tidiest way

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by mystic_bertie, Sep 22, 2005.

1. mystic_bertie

mystic_bertie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    i need to run 2 lengths of speaker cable and 1 length of a toslink cable and 1 length of coax cable along the skirting boards of my living room, is it worth buying the plastic channels electricians use for running cable and attaching this to the skirting board or is there an easier/better way (assuming it needs to go along the skirting for now).
    My skirting is white so should not look too bad with the white plastic channeling.

2. barry roubaix

barry roubaix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    providing you do it very gently what about taking the skirting off?

I'm just in the process of re-decorating my front room and have taken all skirting off to run cable behind, I'll then be fititng new skirting :rolleyes:

3. mystic_bertie

mystic_bertie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    good idea, i may be laying flooring in the near future so that would be a good time to do the skirting.

for the meantime though i need to tidy the cables so may got the plastic chaneling

4. chrisw

chrisw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +262
    One idea I've had is to hinge the skirting boards - don't know how feasible this is, but am moving into a new house on Monday and will let you know if this is possible or not - if you're interested?

Barry - how much are you paying for your skirting board - I'm trying to budget for my lounge and seem to see some wildly fluctuating prices - from about £2/m up to £8/m

5. barry roubaix

barry roubaix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've no idea Chris! We are having a new floor layed and the fitter is sourcing the skirting board, getting the same profile as the rest of the house and cutting the length. He's dropping it off for me to paint then he will fit after. Should make life easier

6. chrisw

chrisw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +262
    Looks like a weekend at B&Q / Wickes / Travis Perkins / Homebase for me then :-(

7. mystic_bertie

mystic_bertie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    go to a saw mill or builders merchant and you should get it substantially cheaper.

8. chrisw

chrisw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +262
    FYI - I saw a skirting board in Homebase that was designed especially to hide cables - was quite pricy but was pretty good.

9. loadsofleads

loadsofleads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :D :D That's a good'un :D :D

Best thing to do is this, get yourself a planed 2/1 batten and fix this at the height of the skirting directly on the wall (5",6" etc) Then get another 2/1, this time rough cut (cheaper) and place that at the bottom. When you fix your skirting on the battens you'll end up with a nice 1" gap behind your skirting for loads of cables, if you screw the skirtings into place you will be able to take them on and off as you please. Then it's just a matter of drilling holes where you want the cables to go in and out :thumbsup: