Running cable through or around new fireplace.

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by pilon, Jul 5, 2015.

1. pilon

pilon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Hi all,
    Just a quick'ish question (I hope) I'm thinking about having my old fireplace taken out and a new fireplace put in, maybe a inset log burner.
    The problem is my TV is on the right hand side of the fire place and my AV receiver is on the left. Also my speakers are positioned either side. Currently I have Speaker cables, Optical and Hdmi cables cut into a channel in the mantlepiece, and then running down the walls either side of the chimney breast.
    Does anyone have any thoughts about the best way to run these cables with a new fire. The new mantle will be limestone and the hearth will be granite.
    Hope that all made sense, I have been looking for info on this and other sites but unless I want to mount my TV above the fire place there is not a lot of info.

Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

2. Jamie

Jamie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,405
    What's the floor in the room, if it is a suspended wooden floor I'd put a length of waste or soil pipe under the floor to create a cable duct, a big enough pipe will allow future cable to be pulled through. I've done similar and left a few lengths of cat 5 that I can either use as network cable or use to draw through extra cables, once I get to 1 length left I use the final length to pull through another spare and whatever other cable I need. I used 4" soil pipe so plenty of room for expansion.

3. pilon

pilon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Its a suspended wooden floor, I did think of that but I'm not allowed to cut any holes in the carpet, Wife friendly also not sure whats under the hearth, if its on top of the wood or brick down to ground level.

4. Jamie

Jamie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,405
    It's probably brick down to ground level. My pipe goes around the hearth and then I have single socket size brush plates right in the alcove behind where your rack and TV stand sit on the floor.

5. pilon

pilon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    That sounds like a good idea, I like your idea about using the last length of cable to pull more through, that wouldn't of crossed my mind until it was too late.

6. Jamie

Jamie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,405
    It was more a pleasant coincidence as I ran a few spare cat 5 for the purpose of being cat5 and then damaged a HDMI cable. When I use the catt5 to pull a cable through I pull the cable and another cat5 through.