running cable along joists - how to get past noggins?

richard plumb

Distinguished Member
When I was putting my screen up in the ceiling, I came across a noggin between the two joists. Had a look and it wasn't nailed to the joists or the floorboards above, so I knocked it out with a hammer to make room for the screen.

Now I've come to lay a HDMI cable from my projector to the wall, going up into the ceiling and along the ceiling space (parallel to a joist). But I've hit another noggin.

First, can someone explain why there are noggins between my joists? I don't remember them being mentioned in any DIY books I've looked through. They don't seem to follow a pattern - for instance the one where my screen went was the only one for the whole length of the joist (about 4m) and it didn't seem to be load bearing in any shape or form.

Secondly - whats the best way to get past them? I'd like to avoid lifting the carpet and cutting the (tongue and grooved) floorboards upstairs just for hiding a HDMI cable. Although I do have an electrician coming in to wire up the projector power and he'll be raising floorboards anyway. But I'd like to get it done before that if possible.

Dave

Distinguished Member
Noggins are there to stiffen the floor structure and stop the joists flexing sideways too much. They aren't load bearing at all but do make a difference in the overall integrity of the floor.

To get past it you can either cut a notch in the top or bottom or just drill a hole straight through it. It's best not to take it out all together if you can avoid it.

B

BobbyPowers

A power drill with a size 18 spade bit should give you a big enough hole for the HDMI cable and not weaken any joists too much. Probably best to drill the hole as close to the middle of the joist as possible, you wouldn't want to cut your nice HDMI cable whilst nailing floorboards down...

Kitch

richard plumb

Distinguished Member
The nogging you have found sounds like what is called `Bridging`.
Do a search for `herringbone strutting`

Or follow this link :- http://www.haringey.gov.uk/note07_-_domestic_timber_floors.pdf

Hope that helps:thumbsup:

From that it looks like solid strutting. Although it only has to be a certain depth, it feels like its the full depth. I'll wait for the electrician now - he'll have to deal with it anyway, so I'll get him to do the HDMI cable at the same time.

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom