Running AV cables in Garden Office

KauriTree

Standard Member
Reaction score
I am in the fortunate position in having a garden office (3 x 4m) built which will also double as a home cinema. The installation is happening in October 2021 and I want to run HDMI (fibre/hybrid fibre) CAT 6, speaker wire (vandamme blue series) plus pull wire to from one end to other finishing with brush face plates at either end.

I will keep them clear of the electrics when I run the AV cables which I hope to do before the boards go up during installation. My question is around running the cables through the stud wall, is my only options to drill through the stud wall? Also do the AV cables need to be supported?

Sorry for all the questions from a newbie.

You can run conduit within the studs and then run the cables within the conduit - there are guidelines about where you should and should not install 'hidden' cables to avoid any unsuspecting person drilling or cutting the cables at a later date.

Long HDMI cables have a nasty habit of being damaged, failing or becoming obsolete so ensure they are easy to replace and definitely avoid any form of terminated plate if you are planning to carry 4K UHD, HDR, Atmos etc, brush plates are a good shout as any break in the cable run is a potential signal fail point.

Are you planning for a Display or a Projector?

Joe

Thanks Joe. Am planning for a projector. Good shout on the conduit and will have a look for the guidance re: hidden cables

For electrical cables there are regs. But if you run them 2" back from the finished face then I think that's within regs. Rules from corners, edges of room, direction from sockets. It's simple stuff but look it up.

Running ducting is a very very very good idea, if you can put some string in it if you can to make pulling your cables through much easier.

Always make a 'scheme' or diagram of where your cables run for future reference.

When I do offices I tend to have rockwool in-between the studs and celotex ( 12mm ) over the stud before the plasterboard as it also acts as your damp layer. I would then run my cables at about 3" into the 4"by2" and it kind keeps the rockwall in nicely.

Would I run ducting ? Yes, but just for a few items. So, when I'm running HDMI or RCA to Sub's ect. Make sure you can get the cable ( HDMI ) through your ducting - I kid you not.

I would tend not to do so for speaker cables going to appropriate places. Set it up for what you want ( and a bit more ). If your doing x.x.4 also set up for x.x.6

Just use Amazon basics speaker wire. I've got that with my MK Sound stuff. Load of faff anything more than that and you won't hear a difference IMHO.

If you are able I'm tempted to run MDPE pipe as long as you don't have any bends. It;s smooth inside and easy to pull cables.

If your running data cables, try to run a few more than you need to sockets / areas. It's cheap wire and you only need to terminate it if one of your normal ones fails ( snagged or bend or chaffed ).

Run screened data cable. I've always done Cat 5e and can happily run UHD 4K video superfast data transfers ect. Equally, if it all goes odd, you can run ethernet over power upto your office.

For electrical cables there are regs. But if you run them 2" back from the finished face then I think that's within regs. Rules from corners, edges of room, direction from sockets. It's simple stuff but look it up.

Running ducting is a very very very good idea, if you can put some string in it if you can to make pulling your cables through much easier.

Always make a 'scheme' or diagram of where your cables run for future reference.

When I do offices I tend to have rockwool in-between the studs and celotex ( 12mm ) over the stud before the plasterboard as it also acts as your damp layer. I would then run my cables at about 3" into the 4"by2" and it kind keeps the rockwall in nicely.

Would I run ducting ? Yes, but just for a few items. So, when I'm running HDMI or RCA to Sub's ect. Make sure you can get the cable ( HDMI ) through your ducting - I kid you not.

I would tend not to do so for speaker cables going to appropriate places. Set it up for what you want ( and a bit more ). If your doing x.x.4 also set up for x.x.6

Just use Amazon basics speaker wire. I've got that with my MK Sound stuff. Load of faff anything more than that and you won't hear a difference IMHO.

If you are able I'm tempted to run MDPE pipe as long as you don't have any bends. It;s smooth inside and easy to pull cables.

If your running data cables, try to run a few more than you need to sockets / areas. It's cheap wire and you only need to terminate it if one of your normal ones fails ( snagged or bend or chaffed ).

Run screened data cable. I've always done Cat 5e and can happily run UHD 4K video superfast data transfers ect. Equally, if it all goes odd, you can run ethernet over power upto your office.
Thanks Paul. Very clear. Most appreciated

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom