1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

running an A/V system without a sub?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by lotusman1, Nov 15, 2004.

1. lotusman1

lotusman1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    i am thinking of changing my mordaunt short thx select package to a monitor audio setup using S10s as main speakers as iwant something a bit more musical.My only problem is the girlfriend does'nt really want another "box" in the lounge so a seperate sub could be out of the question,so would turning the sub off in the amp setup and using the s10s only would they create enough bass for movies?

regards marc.

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    It all depends on what kind of films you watch and how loud you like them. If you are mainly into dialogue based films you would probably not even notice the absence of a sub but it is in action films where the sub comes into it's own.

3. lotusman1

lotusman1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    most of the films i watch tend to be bass heavy!And living in a detached house i like it loud!I could maybe sneak a sub in as long as it's compact.

regards marc.

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    BK Electronics, B&W ASW675, Velodyne SPL range - in price order are all fairly compact subs. If you like bass heavy films played loudly you will most certainly notice the difference without a sub even with bassy speakers.

5. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Marc u won't be satisfied if you leave a sub out of your system the MA's are good but do not drop low enough to "Feel the Bass"

John