Running amp w/out speakers connected?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by HiFiFan, Sep 10, 2004.

1. HiFiFan

HiFiFan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Greetings All

Apologies for being a little paranoid, but I have one of those 'did I hurt my new baby ' type questions.

When setting up my new digital Sony amp, being a somewhat complex beast, I had the manual by my side, and started by initialising it as per instructions, and then moving on to setting speaker distances and then levels using the test tones.

I seemed to be doing a lot of twirling of the volume knob, with not much sound coming out of the fronts, and then the penny dropped that I had not gone into the 'advanced' settings and turned off the front speakers, as I am using preouts to another amp for main fronts L & R.

Hence the amp would've been seeing the signal of the test tone both at the preouts and hence to my main front amp, but also to the new amps internal front channel amplifiers, except that there were no physical speakers attached.

So, my moment of anxiety/query is whether running a signal through the front amplifier channels with no speakers attached would have been likely to have caused any or some harm?

Or am I having an anxiety 'moment' unecessarily?

The latest amps seem to have all manner of electronic protection, but whether it was merely a myth, or there were electrical reasons for it, in the past it was always considered a bit of a no-no to run an amp with no speakers connected.

Could someone with technical knowledge/bent please comment?

Many thanks

Cheers

John... :)

2. John7

John7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +686
    Modern amps will have no problem running with no speakers connected

Sleep easy!

Regards

John7

3. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Still not the best idea in the world. I know people who have relied on fail safes for amps and well....They've failed!
    Best to avoid it if possible in future.

4. HiFiFan

HiFiFan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Knightshade said

The silly think about it is that one has to turn the amp on before one can enter the menus and set the speaker configuration as recommended when using the preouts for the front channels. The options are 'all on' (pre-outs and speaker terminals) 'Fronts off' (front speaker terminals off, but preouts on, and all other pre-outs/speakers on) and 'All off' (All speakers off, and preouts only turned on)

In effect there is no way of avoiding in the inital setup of having some speakers 'active' whilst there are no physical spekers connected if you are using it in the manner as I am, with front preouts rather than physical speakers being connected to it.

Of course I compounded matters by running the test tones before disabling the front speaker terminals. Grrr.

John7 said:
    Hi John7 - do you have any technical knowledge you could impart here?

Why would a 'modern' amp not have a problem running with no speakers connected where an 'older' model might?

Regards

John.... :)

5. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131
    There's no option to turn the amps of when using preouts on my amp.There would be no load on the amps anyway.