Running a single speaker?

foxmeister

So I’m now in swing with a full house renovation, and whilst I have floors up etc, I realise I bought stupid when I bought an extra ceiling speaker for my bathroom that I don’t need

So, the idea, I have a Yamaha AS500 setup in the living room and it runs a pair of Dali Zensor 3 for stereo, but the amp has the allowance of adding another pair of speakers, so I was thinking if I could add the ceiling speaker in the kitchen and run off the amp, would it be fine? Basically it’s just for fill when entering and leaving the kitchen etc, and it’s right next to the liv room so won’t be to gain volume or anything like that

The issue is the speaker is an 8ohm, I’m sure it’s not advisable to attach a speaker to one output or am I wrong? Or can I connect it bridged to see 4ohm? Or is it not worth bothering with it, any advice appreciated

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
If it's going into the ceiling, you can purchase a single stereo speaker for these types of situations which uses both channels in place of you having to worry about using a mono speaker and worrying about breaking things. Hope that helps.

Do note that kitchens can be harder places to hear good quality sounds, so do expect more of a background experience in place of hi-fidelity :)

AmericanAudio

AVForums Sponsor
If you are running just a single speaker in the room then you really should be running a 'dual stereo' speaker to ensure you get both left and right channels.

Usually these have two speaker pair connections and the bass/mid driver is summed and the tweeters are kept separate. Then the better ones allow you to force the tweets to point out, away from each other to further separate the channels.

We would use Monitor Audio, SpeakerCraft or OSD in our installs.

foxmeister

It’s more a case of having this speaker sitting here doing nothing, and just to see if it could be utilised whilst I’m doing some work

I don’t intend on adding new speakers into kitchen so if it’s not worthwhile using the one I have, I’ll just leave be

Will just put it up for sale probably

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
I wouldn’t recommend using a single speaker, but if you do change your mind, you can still use one speaker which is designed as a single stereo speaker. This has two tweeters and one main driver allowing you to keep everything in check

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs of 2021, plus our favourite & memorable reviews of the year
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom