running a projector outside

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by paintballman, Mar 14, 2006.

1. paintballman

paintballman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wish to run my projector outside but as I am in the UK the weather is not always the best :( I was thinking of using a plastic box with a hole in the front (to allow the image out lol. This should stop it from getting wet but I was also worried about the cold as it could drop to about -1 at night. Would this affect the projector or would it just keep it cool??:lease:help

thanks a lot in advance :D

ps i have a 3M MP8640

2. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +189
    You'll need to ensure adequate airflow to allow the fans to work or you'll cook your PJ so quite a large box would be required with various ducting for air intake/expulsion etc.

Creating a weatherproof seal around the lens might be a issue. You could cut a hole and then silicon mastic in a piece of glass to project out of.

If the projector is on all the time then I would imagine that a cold outside temp might actually help it to keep the bulb cool.

3. paintballman

paintballman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i was thinking of having some small hatch type opening's to help with air flow. i am going to use a couple of storage box's, you know the type that stack on top of each other, as the cover and the base.

Thanks for the help :D i will post some pics if it works out lol :p

4. JorisS

JorisS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    May I ask out of curiosity what it is you plan to do? And where you plan to have this pj standing, so in case my Sony blows out some day I know where to get a cheap replacement? :rotfl:

No but seriously, airflow is the major issue I guess, as cyberheater already mentioned. On top of that the light from outside... so what exactly is the purpose?

5. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Yea, do tell

6. davee

davee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Your main problem is going to be condensation in the pj. I'd probably give it a week in winter tops.
    Are you going to be sitting outside watching it? takes reality viewing to a whole new level :rotfl:

7. Fusewire

Fusewire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    I want to do something similar to this too alltough not in winter - just for the summer months and I would take the projector inside when not in use, is it possible or is this wishfull thinking ?

I was thinking of various sport being projected onto a screen at the end of the garden (Would be projecting a distance of around 10 metres)

8. throwit

throwit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    i put this up at projector central...here it is, here

to stop the projector overheating it needs fresh air - you can't really run it in a confined space, and even if you tried to run it in a confined space, there would be condensation entry points like where the cables go in

for our most excellent english weather i'd recommend five things...

waterproofed connections either plumbed in to a covered outlet or able to be put in the dry

only run the unit under a cover...could be a shed or garage with an open door, could be a dog kennel !...could even be an umbrella if properly waterproof and only use in gentle non-wind blown rain (if you live where there is sideways rain, do not use your unit outside in such weather)...not that you'd want to

get a humidity monitor and place very near the projector, to monitor if you're within tolerance (such info would be in manual)

run the projector inside on even slightly damp/cool days, to warm it up for five minutes so that once outside it gets no condensation in it

when not using it, take it indoors whilst still warm, for the same reason

9. swapped

swapped

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    You haven't described your situation / layout - couldn't you just project from inside?

I was messing about with an old projector a while ago in my conservatory, projecting happily onto the closed vertical blinds in there...

When I stepped outside to fetch something from the shed, I was surprised to see a strong (if reversed) image on the blinds from outside, that from a reasonable viewing distance (to reduce one's awareness of the joins in the blinds), would be very watchable - and made me glad I hadn't thus broadcast any 'indelicate' images to my neighbours!

So my suggestion is to project onto a screen indoors at the window, in rear-projection mode.

10. paintballman

paintballman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi throwit im on that forum as darknight :D HI:hiya:

i plan to have a movie showing at a BBq we are having. we all play paintball and have a movie of a huge game we played in last year so we are going to have a BBq and a movie :D the reason i cant project it from in side is... well just all wrong lol there are no windows doors etc to project from :( it would only be for one night and it would also be under a gazeboo. so it would only be out for a few hours.

run down

Pj running for 4 hours max
    Pj outside under cover
    fans to provide "fresh" air

urm i dont really know what else you guys need to know i have never done this before :S

11. throwit

throwit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    "nice" !

sounds like you'll be fine mate :)

best to warm it up and shut it down indoors first

and if you've got something sturdy you can place it well up and under the gazebo, that should see you safe

enjoy

12. swapped

swapped

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    LOL!

I think your biggest risk has less to do with dew forming in the projector, and more to do with drunken staggerings knocking projectors onto the grass...

I used my projector at a BBQ, but it was in the lounge keeping the various kids occupied with a Bug's Life, while the adults made sure the sauvignon blanc didn't go out of date.

13. JohnnyScot

JohnnyScot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    What about charades in the garden? You could then just all act out your favourite movie! :rotfl: