• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Running a projector off an inverter from a leisure battery, power use and which projector

Gibbo the Geek

Established Member
Hi all.

I'm looking for some help selecting a projector for use in a motorhome, as well as occasional use at home. I want something that works for family movie nights when we're away. Key questions I have are around running it from a leisure battery, and then which projector to get.

Powering it - I'd estimate that much of the time we will be on electric hookup, but not always, and so i'd like an option that is flexible and can work off grid. I know there are several projectors that run off a battery (Nebula Mars 2 pro), but i'd still want to be able to charge it for repeat use and so will need to sort power. I have a 110Ah leisure battery with solar charger in the motorhome and plan to either run or charge a projector off of a sine wave inverter connected to this. My understanding is that I want to avoid discharging the battery below 50% and ideally keep it above 80%.

The Mars 2 pro (LED) for example draws 57W, but the HD144X (LCD) draws 205W. So the 12V battery would see from 3 hours use (assuming 100% efficiency which won't happen but gives me a ballpark).

W hours/Voltage = Amp Hours

LED (57*3)/12 = 14.25Ah
LCD (205*3)/12 = 51Ah

First question, I think this rules out an LCD projector in favour of an LED which should work fine assuming I find a decent sine wave inverter?

Second question, assuming the above is correct, what projector would people recommend?

Ultimately I'd like it to be HD.
Short throw, we'll be sat about 1.5m from the screen with the projector/screen about 1.45m apart, straight on. Auto horizontal keystoning would be a nice option though.
Almost all use will be in a motorhome or late at night in situations where blinds will be closed and so there will be low ambient light.
I don't particularly care about inbuilt speakers so long as it can send sound to a bluetooth speaker.
Ability to stream from downloaded content in netflix on a USB-C device without internet would be great but if I have to run a firestick or chromecast on the HDMI and I can.
I'd like to keep cost below £550 ideally for the projector.

There seem to be a few to choose from that get good reviews.
Nebula Mars 2 pro
Xgimi mogo pro
Viewsonic M1+ or M2
LG cinebeam PF50KS or 550G

thanks in advance.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom