running 360 on 30" dell monitor??

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by adybaines, Sep 5, 2007.

1. adybaines

adybaines
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi to all,

i have a dell 30" monitor running at 2560x1600 and wondering if i can hook my 360 up to it to run true 1080p at 1900x1200 even that will be scaled so not sure if the monitor can do it?

My main question though is it only has one socket on the back and thats a DVI thats it and its a (dual link dvi input) apparently as its run from high spec pc's with 2 graphics cards in SLI so not sure if i buy the xbox 360 vga lead and then plug a vga to dvi adapter on it/plug it in to the monitor will it work?

anyone else tried it?

many thanks

2. DragonOfSilver

DragonOfSilver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    no, I believe the 30" monitor only supports digital dvi, or it would have a vga socket. only likeleyhood of getting a 360 working on one is to have an elite I would think.

3. Earlyflash

Earlyflash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +471
    If it's the Dell 3007WFP, you can't use a 360 on it. It's only got a DVI-D (as already mentioned), so don't see how it can work.

The 2407 however, works fine at 1080p (it's what I use).

Text from This link:

"So far, so good, then. However, the Dell 3007WFP has a vastly limited number of connectivity options when compared with the '2405. Indeed, only the mandatory DVI-D input is included, which features built-in HDCP (High-Bandwidth Digital Content Protection) support. HDCP, developed by Intel, effectively controls digital video/audio content from source to display; a form of digital rights management that encrypts content (to stop copying, presumably) and one that requires an HDCP-compatible display to view them on. It's important because Windows Vista, successor to XP, will support the specification.

All other inputs have been discarded on the Dell 3007WFP, so if you need the extra connectivity options to, say, run your Xbox 360 with, you're out of luck here. Dell also features in its integrated 4-port USB2.0 hub and multiformat media reader that covers most formats. Enough talk, let's head on over to some pictures."

4. adybaines

adybaines
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dowh....

i thought as much bang goes my plan to get an elite upstairs to have two 360's so i can game more often!!

cheers

5. ssjaronx4

ssjaronx4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    An elite should work with a hdmi-dvi cable but itll probably look like crap. Like sd on a 1080 tv as your scaling 2mp to 4mp and thats with the few games which run at 1080. Most games are 720 so will look extra rubish but it should function ok.

6. Blackbolt360

Blackbolt360

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +794
    adybaines, you can't get a VGA to DVI adapter, well you can but they cost £100+. VGA is an Analog signal and requires a conversion box to convert it to a digital signal. DVI-VGA is easy as its just a digital signal converted down to analog at the plug.

You're best bet with that monitor is an Elite with HDMI-DVI lead at 1920x1080p.