Runner who cycles

finbaar

Established Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about this earlier. I'm a runner, I've done a lot of running for a lot of years. But I did buy a cheap racer a few years ago and got talking to some commited cyclists.
The thing that struck me was that I wanted my cycling to be difficult. I was happy to my cheap bike that took effort to ride. But they wanted to spend many many hundreds of pounds (or several thousands in one case, I seem to remember the bike was £6k) on a bike as they wanted the best possible performance.
I couldn't understand why you would want to do that. I took the racing tyres off my bike and put slower, higher resistance ones on to make it harder to pedal. It was all very marginal in my book.
What I've never been able to establish is how much difference a £6k bike makes over a cheap one. Surely losing some chunk and getting fit would be more beneficial? Can any keen cyclists let me know how much faster spending 10 to 12 times as much on a bike would make me? Or how good you would have to be to notice a difference?
I'm certainly not saying those of you who are good wouldn't notice a difference btw, I'm on about the

I was thinking about this earlier. I'm a runner, I've done a lot of running for a lot of years. But I did buy a cheap racer a few years ago and got talking to some commited cyclists.
The thing that struck me was that I wanted my cycling to be difficult. I was happy to my cheap bike that took effort to ride. But they wanted to spend many many hundreds of pounds (or several thousands in one case, I seem to remember the bike was £6k) on a bike as they wanted the best possible performance.
I couldn't understand why you would want to do that. I took the racing tyres off my bike and put slower, higher resistance ones on to make it harder to pedal. It was all very marginal in my book.
What I've never been able to establish is how much difference a £6k bike makes over a cheap one. Surely losing some chunk and getting fit would be more beneficial? Can any keen cyclists let me know how much faster spending 10 to 12 times as much on a bike would make me? Or how good you would have to be to notice a difference?
I'm certainly not saying those of you who are good wouldn't notice a difference btw, I'm on about the

Does a Ferrari make you a better driver? Does buying expensive pans make you a better cook? Are £3,000 speakers REALLY worth the difference over £500 ones?

People buy nice things because they want them and can afford it.

Does a Ferrari make you a better driver? Does buying expensive pans make you a better cook? Are £3,000 speakers REALLY worth the difference over £500 ones?

People buy nice things because they want them and can afford it.
And that's the issue I think. Running is a means to the end, or rather running it self is the key part of the activity. But with cycling the bicycle is the key part of the activity. Having a "good" bike is important even though you can't actually feel any benefit. It seems so alien to me, I just can't under why you would any to do it.

I’m the opposite - a cyclist who runs. As with many purchases, its a case of diminishing returns. My estimate is that the sweet spot for a new cycle is in the £2-3k range - benefits above that are usually marginal. It’s hard to answer the cost question as the price could be attributed to different components - anywhere from the frame, to a groupset to carbon wheels, with different characteristics. (I always advocate not skimping on the frame because everything else can be upgraded easily enough). Better to focus on your fitness and riding style (aero position) as a fast rider will always outpace a fast bike. That said, tyres do make a difference as you‘ve found. One YouTube racer (Cam Nichols) advocates the slowest heaviest tyres such as Schwalbe Marathons for training.

Ultimately, for me it comes down to enjoyment. I enjoy the feeling of a swift handling bike and find heavy tires detract from the experience.

And that's the issue I think. Running is a means to the end, or rather running it self is the key part of the activity. But with cycling the bicycle is the key part of the activity. Having a "good" bike is important even though you can't actually feel any benefit. It seems so alien to me, I just can't under why you would any to do it.

Do you run in heavy boots to make it harder though? If you wear running shoes then what’s the point ;)

I’m the opposite - a cyclist who runs. As with many purchases, its a case of diminishing returns. My estimate is that the sweet spot for a new cycle is in the £2-3k range - benefits above that are usually marginal. It’s hard to answer the cost question as the price could be attributed to different components - anywhere from the frame, to a groupset to carbon wheels, with different characteristics. (I always advocate not skimping on the frame because everything else can be upgraded easily enough). Better to focus on your fitness and riding style (aero position) as a fast rider will always outpace a fast bike. That said, tyres do make a difference as you‘ve found. One YouTube racer (Cam Nichols) advocates the slowest heaviest tyres such as Schwalbe Marathons for training.

Ultimately, for me it comes down to enjoyment. I enjoy the feeling of a swift handling bike and find heavy tires detract from the experience.

I use Marathon plus on my heavy aluminium knocking around/commuting bike. When I get on my <7kg ‘best’ bike with eTap it feels lovely. I don't care who’s faster or slower, when I pass someone they could have just ridden 100 miles and be cooling down for all I know. Or on a zone 2 ride. Or just not care. Like you, I ride for my own enjoyment :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom