Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Runco VX-1000c verses Sim2 HT300+

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by scooby_doo, May 6, 2003.

1. scooby_doo

scooby_doo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Which one’s the better projector?

I first saw the HT300+ on demo at the Bristol Show and thought the picture looked fabulous, no jagged edges, the colours were rich and vivid, the blacks were impressive too. All the reviews I’ve read on it subsequently, and the many opinions posted on this forum agree that it’s a great projector. The only real gripe being the noise from the colour wheel.

So, I was all decided on getting one until I saw the Runco. And my impressions (apart from “my god, it’s huge“) were the same as the Sim. I’ve only managed to find one review on it and there’s very little mention of it on this forum (well, that I’ve managed to track down anyway)

The problem I have now is deciding which one to get. I’ve no way of comparing the two on a like-for-like basis i.e. using the same screen and DVD player. So what do I do?

Is one clearly better than the other?

2. scooby_doo

scooby_doo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Oh dear. :( Do I really have to make the decision all by myself?!

Fair enough. Now then, how does that saying go....oh yes.....eanie-meanie-minie-moe.....;)

Seriously, is this a subjective thing? I know it is with audio but is it with video too?

Does anyone know of a dealer that stocks both so I can audition them side by side?

Any views gratefully received.

3. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    I think it is fair to say that Sim2/Seleco it the better known name in the UK. Certainly this brand has more dealers, so there are more reviews and opinions on this brand simply because more people have seen it.

If we were in America then the positions would be reversed, but in the UK at the moment Runco's distributor has appointed only a few dealers for the products. I also think you'll find that shops stock either brand, but not both, which will make it tricky to get a side-by-side dem or even some objective advice from the retailers.

Both product ranges are good. As an ex-Owl guy myself I know there's a lot of very high quality engineering under the bonnet of the 300+, stuff that most dealers don't even realise is there. Perhaps the Runco has similar unsung merits. Speak to good dealers for both products to get the full story.

If after that it comes down to just fan noise, then your choice is made.

Good luck

4. scooby_doo

scooby_doo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks for the reply Chris, you’ve explained the mystery of why I could find relatively few opinions on the Runco compared to the Sim. I’ll just have to do some more spade-work I guess.

Thanks again.

5. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    Never compared them but I must admit a sneaking admiration for the 300+, it maight not be the best in every area but everything about the projector is consistently high in quality and it has no real achilees heel. It is well supported in the UK by the OWL crowd.

6. scooby_doo

scooby_doo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I too am impressed with the 300+ and it was definitely "the one for me". But seeing this damn Runco has thrown a spanner in the works. Perhaps I should have stayed in that day!;)