1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Runco CL-500

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by karl, Aug 4, 2002.

1. karl

karl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My local Av dealer has just started stocking Runco projectors and is raving about them.

He suggested they are better then the Sim200 and 300 models.

I was going to get a demo of the CL-500 - approx £5000 but I did not have enough time on Saturday.

Has anybody seen this PJ ? Are they any good or is my dealers profit margin better on these ?

The CL-500 hasa built in scaler/de-interlacer which he states is so good it makes using progressive scan input unnecessary.

I hope to have a demo myself - maybe next weekend.

Any views ?

Thanks

Karl

2. meva

meva

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    This, apparently, is the same projector as the Benq 480w with one difference, the Benq should be be much cheaper. I e-mailed Benq last week about U.K availablity ( although I doubt i'll get any reply )

3. paublo

paublo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have briefly demoed this projector and agree that it was better than the SIM 2 HT200, I cannot agree that it would be better than the HT300.... perhaps in colour etc but not in terms of resolution as the HT300 has a resolution of 1280x720..

Runco will always be more expensive than other similarly spec'd projectors, but I enjoyed demoing the unit and it is still on my shortlist...

You must demo these things... Other DLP's have given me a headache with the colour fringing or "Rainbows", this projector did not... Colours were good, my only negative being the lower resolution of the panel 848 by 600.... and off course the cost....

Go and test it, then let us know what you think....

Paul.

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    Paul,

Did you compare it to a SIM2 HT200 or a Sim2HT200DMF. The latter uses the six segment colour wheel and same DMD array as CL500.

Gordon

5. paublo

paublo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    the original HT200...not the DMF.. hence my comments about bad Rainbows etc...

I have heard of other dealers stating that the Runco was 'nearly' as good as the HT300, but will take that with a pinch of salt.

The colours were strong and black levels good, very quiet... but expensive.... dont mind paying for quality..... but still expensive...

6. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
  7. paublo

paublo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Gordon, do you have a particular problem with the Runco ? or just that it is a much lower resolution panel than the HT300..

I read your comments from the Cedia show, it must be difficult to rate projectors in such an environment...

Just interested...

Paul.

8. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    I have no problem with Runco at all. In fact, I actually like them. SS had a Runco CRT on dem for 2 years....and a Runco scaler for several months....

Actually at CEDIA the use of HiDef material showed exactly why the HT300 is superior to the CL500 (AND IT SHOULD BE AT THE PRICE). Not only that they went out of their way to get a great enviroment for showing the device (much better thatn most folks rooms)When looking around it must have been apparent to most folk that the VX1000c had a superior contrast range and colour gamut to the CL series. This was not a small difference to my eyes. The HT300 also has a large colour gamut that almost matches that required for the DTV specs as laid down by the ATSC. I doubt the CL500 matches it. Colours were no where near as saturated as they could be or were on the VX series. THe contrast wasn't there either with the images having a washed out sort of look compared to their bigger brothers. This is to be expected though due to the technolgy on board. HT200DMF v CL500 could be interesting. I'm also not a fan of the occasional rainbows and the halo given off around these things.

The dem I'm more interested in is a CL700 against a VX1000c against an ht300. with NTSC film sourced material I'd expect the VX1000c to be superior with less artivfacts, due to hte fantastic ability of the PFP controller in this regard. With PAL and Video based stuff I think it'll be a different story. The CL700 and HT300 have 2:2 pulldown for PAL film sourced material yet the VX1000c doesn't........

Runco usually get a pasting in forums such as these and in some cases it may be deserved. Not always though. They have pioneered many of the things that manufacturers now make as standard in their kit. My comment was directed more at dealers who have little or no understanding of what makes a good image but that will make ridiculous comments like product the one you mentioned.

Gordon

Gordon

9. karl

karl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the responses - I will try to get a demo.

Any more views ?

I have also heard good things about Toshiba MT5 = Infocus LS110. Is this a compromise ?

Thanks

10. paublo

paublo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Gordon,

.... I have read most of the pastings that Runco get on AVS etc..... hence the comment...

The larger Runcos and the HT300 must be very impressive because I had no problems with the CL500... just the price... if I could source it for 3-4k, then it would compare to other projectors in that area.. ie the 11HT and TW100....

Thanks..

p.s. How do DLP's fare when ISF'd when compared to LCD's.... is there as much scope for improvement... sorry in advance for diverting the thread...

11. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    I haven't had a good play with greyscale on DLP's to comment much. I thought the difference on the Sharp9000 used at last weekends HiDef event was pretty worthwhile. I wanted to have longer to play but pressure of work got better of me.

I hope to have more time with HT300's in a month or so. I may have a play with StereoStereo's HT200DM if they haven't sold it off dem yet.

Gordon