Run speaker wire "under" the underlay & carpet in room above ceiling for Atmos speakers to avoid lifting floorboards up?

brad123

ok question: I've cut holes for all 4 ceiling speakers, now instead of running the cables under the floorboards of room above from these which would mean lifting up all the floorboards in room above can I not drill a hole above the hole for the speaker in the floorboards above then thread cable through and run it along the floorboards to the corner where amp is, drill small hole through floorboard and ceiling below and thread wires through to the amp in room below, then place the underlay and carpet back on top. We are getting new carpets and underlay in the room above where the ceiling speakers go. I'm thinking if thin enough speaker wires I'm hardly likely to feel the wire under the carpet am I? So this saves having to lift up all the floorboards..

nheather

Distinguished Member
You'd be surprised how small a bump you can feel under foot even with thick underlay and carpet.

Easiest way to decide is to try it - lift a corner of the carpet and underlay and put a small piece of wire down. Then see if you can feel it when walking on the carpet with bare feet.

It is going to depend on how thin the wire is.

Cheers,

Nigel

mushii

You also risk damaging the cable, walking on it, even on underlay. Lifting the boards, with a floorboard saw should only take an hour or two. Much better job especially after you spent all the time getting the ceiling fitting right.

John7

Don't forget that as your new ceiling speakers have breached the fire barrier (plasterboard ceiling) and you have a habitable room above, you will need to install fire hoods to the speakers.

brad123

Yep won;t take any risks in that respect for sure. Where to source ones not too expensive though.

mushii

Fire Hoods are not cheap unfortunately. Sometimes nearly as much as the speakers themselves.

Luminated67

ok question: I've cut holes for all 4 ceiling speakers, now instead of running the cables under the floorboards of room above from these which would mean lifting up all the floorboards in room above can I not drill a hole above the hole for the speaker in the floorboards above then thread cable through and run it along the floorboards to the corner where amp is, drill small hole through floorboard and ceiling below and thread wires through to the amp in room below, then place the underlay and carpet back on top. We are getting new carpets and underlay in the room above where the ceiling speakers go. I'm thinking if thin enough speaker wires I'm hardly likely to feel the wire under the carpet am I? So this saves having to lift up all the floorboards..
Of course you can do this, it's the most logical solution. What I would do though it buy yourself the flat speaker cable as it was designed for this very job and cost little more if any.

Supersonic

I ran my surround speaker wires under the underlay. Flat wires, as above. They came with sticky backing so they would stay put and also could be run up the walls.

However, I did run them around the edges of the room to avoid their being walked on too much.

Still going strong 15 years later.

Just thought - can you fish the wires from the speaker locations to the planned hole above the amp? Saves lifting floorboards.

When I put in my atmos ceiling speakers I only had to lift one board in order to go across a few joists. The rest of the run went along the joists inside the ceiling void.

As for fire hoods, I used these (IIRC, there are other sizes):

HTH