Run in/Retention/Burn In ???

geowars2

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi im getting the panasonic 37px60 and i just want to know what all the run in, retention + burn in is all about?

Do i have to lower the brightness and contrast for 200 hours? what will happen if i dont?

Many Thanks :hiya: :thumbsup:

Just avoid leaving a static image on screen for hours and you will have no problem. Also avoid Dynamic mode, the pictures awful anyway.

There are quite a few posts on problems with retention and burn in. About 95% of these are from owners of Pioneer 436 plasmas. Panasonic plasmas are much less prone to this.

It is important to take the plasma out of its default "dynamic" picture mode and change to normal or cinema mode. Picture settings "out of the box" are not ideal for home viewing. The intensity of the picture is cranked up in the default settings so that demos in shops look better under bright shop lighting.

Brightness and contrast should be reduced. After about 200 hours the chances for retention are greatly reduced and settings can be increased. I setup my screen using DVE after 200 hours and found that my running-in settings did not need to be changed significantly to get the optimum picture.

The problem is that the majority of people don't know the difference between retention and burn. Why be concerned about retention, when it's a normal aspect with plasma, and only lasts a few minutes ?

Nick_UK said:
The problem is that the majority of people don't know the difference between retention and burn. Why be concerned about retention, when it's a normal aspect with plasma, and only lasts a few minutes ?
continued retetnion of the same image in the same location can lead to burn over a period of time. more of an issue for commercial apps than domestic but gaming or continous viewing of the same DOG can cause this

Nick_UK said:
Why be concerned about retention, when it's a normal aspect with plasma, and only lasts a few minutes ?
My experience is that retention is not a "normal aspect of plasma" - I have never seen it on my PHD8 despite occasionally showing static images for some time.

rasputin said:
My experience is that retention is not a "normal aspect of plasma" - I have never seen it on my PHD8 despite occasionally showing static images for some time.

I tought that was retention :confused:

So say I am playing a game with the health bar on the screen for 30 minutes, then I swtich to another screen with no bar for 1 sec, and then back to the health bar, will it refresh again, like the chance of the health bar burning in.

erm no it wont refresh health bar on for hour off for 30 seconds then on for an hour is 2 hours of static image (this isnt as bad as it sounds but if for example you had the same company logo in the same spot on a screen showing clips for 10 hours a day the image is static in that area for 10 hours a day. Burn is own issue retetion is another premature ageing is another none of these are isues if you buy the right screen and treat it properly

Retention is caused by the properties of the plasma gas itself, and is rather like the gas having a "memory" of what was displayed before. It quickly fades in normal use.

Burn-in is caused by the phosphor of a certain colour ageing faster then the other colours. The eye is very sensitive to brightness changes, so although this ageing may only be slight, it can be perceived by the eye. Burn-in can often be removed or reduced by displaying a negative image of that which caused the original burn, and it can often be reduced or removed by the normal ageing process.

Nick_UK said:
Burn-in is caused by the phosphor of a certain colour ageing faster then the other colours. The eye is very sensitive to brightness changes, so although this ageing may only be slight, it can be perceived by the eye. Burn-in can often be removed or reduced by displaying a negative image of that which caused the original burn, and it can often be reduced or removed by the normal ageing process.
Technically thats "advanced" or "premature" aging proper burn in damages teh phosphur to the point it wil never recover and the static image is visbile when the screen is off (this is real BURN and is very rare, even in commerical apps but i have seen it and its scary!)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom