1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Run in and black bars on DVD?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by peterakastorm, Sep 17, 2005.

1. peterakastorm

peterakastorm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a quick little question... In the run in period, the black bars at the top and bottom is ok, right? I mean black can't burn in, right?

2. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    you can get uneven wear though, when the bulk of the screen gets used and part of it isn't used. Bars in moderation will surely be fine though.

3. peterakastorm

peterakastorm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Uneven wear... I know the meaning of that, but the consequence? Will it be the same as burn in, just the "other way around"?

4. tscotsman

tscotsman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    exactly, best to expand the picture to fill the screen during the run in period

5. peterakastorm

peterakastorm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, damn... I've been watching alot of DVD movies because I thought it would be for the best! But I don't think I've been doing any damage...

6. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    screen burn isnt actually any kind of burn, its all uneven wear, so having black bars is pretty bad until you've run it in, but dont worry too much, an hour or two equalled out with an hour or two of full screen viewing will be fine :)

7. peterakastorm

peterakastorm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, thanks... I also think I'm a llittle too paranoid on that matter... I'll just watch alot of full screen tv from now on :D

8. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    I find it amazing you even have to avoid black bars on these TV's for x number of hours!!

There are almost unavoidable in these days...even channels like kiss seem to have permanent black bars top and bottom with logos and title of artist etc etc

9. Lionheart

Lionheart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the idea of the run in is to age all the phosphors at an equal rate and so anything static on the screen regardless of what it is doesnt allow this. As the phosphor are brand new and the first 200hrs is obviously when they are "bedding in" I dont think its to unreasonable to take this run in precaution. Of course at the end of the day each of us can do what he likes with our screen but personally, and as they are not exactly cheap to buy, I wouldnt take the risk....ps..of course after the 200hrs it really isnt a problem.....i just treat my plasma, now that it is ran in, as anyother tv and watch with black bars and logos without worry (42pv500)....it seems though the first 200hrs are important and static stuff should be avoided on screen for to long...there is no need to be paranoid about it though..just common sence is all the approach you need :)...pps...if you cant see any retention Peter then you are ok...just finish a run in from now on

10. stanleyntl

stanleyntl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Reading another threads entry concerning screen run in : by Jvwaard, who cites a Panasonic white paper :
    ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/pub/Panason...s/Plasma-WP.pdf

This magic 200 hrs is by no means an all clear for safe Plasma use, you have to clock up another 800hrs to reach a point whereby a screen wipe will remove any retention incurred by normal use.
    Up til then I would think it prudent to still maximise screen use - zooming DVD picture to remove black bars etc.

11. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    for me, 200hrs is acceptable, but 800hrs is too long if that is how lon the "run in" takes. maybe they should start running them in at the factory with some accelarated program.

12. phcahill

phcahill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Any chance of reposting the link to the pdf file.
    I've had no luck find it on the ftp server.

Paul

13. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    I've not been too worried about the black bars, just keeping them to moderation. If I'm watching a movie for a couple of hours and it's got bars at the top, I don't see that as a problem. Similarly if I'm watching friends or something and it's in 4:3, I'm not going to be losing any sleep.

One thing I have done though is to make sure that the good lady has anything on in a full screen mode and doesn't watch the same channel for too long while I'm at work. I think I have made her the one who is paranoid about burn but that can't be a bad thing. I would be really mad if I came home to a QVC logo burnt into the screen :)

14. stanleyntl

stanleyntl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
  15. phcahill

phcahill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks

16. peterakastorm

peterakastorm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm getting a little paranoid though... But my brightness is all down to about 10%, or lower, so when it's dark, almost all the screen is black... so I think it's ok even... of course the bars that are black all the time will be more black...!

17. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    What screen, Peter? Some are more prone than others, but paranoia is pretty much not needed these days. You hear the odd horror story, but most likely someone's not taken the beast off dynamic mode, and gone to sleep whilst their zonked out kids sit there hypnotized for 8 hours. Maybe they should get out more.

18. peterakastorm

peterakastorm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's a Panasonic PWD8... So it should be ok, right? And as I said, both my contrast and brightness settings are at about 10% if not less... So almost as far down as it can go... Still watchable though! Especially on DVD! Cable is a little so so, but I can cope for the first 200 hours ;) 50 gone so far...

19. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I usually leave PWDs set to -3 or so, brightness and contrast, initially. No need for any less, and it's usually not far off where they end up either. No client of mine has ever suffered screen burn BTW.

20. peterakastorm

peterakastorm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok? -3 only? That's far up, I must say... But right now I'm watching a 2.5 hour long movie, and I'm not able to get the black bars off... but it should be ok?

21. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    i did with my pwd7 from the outset and had no problems....enjoy your film! :)

22. Lionheart

Lionheart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no need to go to low Pete...just what u find good but below 50%...its just a guideline so dont worry ...if u cant get the black bars off try using the picture zoom settings of the dvd player...I had the same thing via HDMI when watching dvds...the TV wont work on zoom but the dvd player will