Run AirPlay for audio only on Apple TV without turning on TV

amardilo

Distinguished Member
I am thinking about getting an Apple TV to stream my iTunes library from my varies Apple devices (MacBook, iPad and iPhone).

But if I want to only stream music or audio podcasts (via AirPlay) does the TV need to be turned on for it to work? Can I just control my device from a device like an iPad or are there menus I need to navigate (or does it not even turn on or stay in standby if it can't detect a TV)?

If it helps I plan to connect an Apple TV into my AV receiver via HDMI (the receiver is connected to a TV) so I can play music through my speakers.

bpsmith

It's possible in fairness. The only issue is that playback stops when you turn your TV off. All you have to do is em either turn ATV on with TV off, or press play again to continue.

You can use the Remote App to browse all of your media on your iThing and then queue up what to listen to from the App without viewing on screen. :)

larkone

Why not just get an Airport express and connect that optically to your AV receiver, the AE has an optical out. This will stream bit perfect 16/44.1 CD rips whereas the ATV resamples everything to 16/48 so is not bit perfect for audio. Then you will not need the TV on and you can control everything from your itunes.

bpsmith

You don't need the TV on with the ATV. Read the thread?

If they want to stream video or AirPlay Apps too then the ATV adds a lot more.

The re sampling is a good point, which I laboured over in other threads before, only to be shot down by people who have had both and found zero quality difference.

amardilo

Distinguished Member
It's possible in fairness. The only issue is that playback stops when you turn your TV off. All you have to do is em either turn ATV on with TV off, or press play again to continue.

You can use the Remote App to browse all of your media on your iThing and then queue up what to listen to from the App without viewing on screen. :)
Thanks. As long as I don't have to turn my TV on just to listen to audio it might be worth looking into.

Why not just get an Airport express and connect that optically to your AV receiver, the AE has an optical out. This will stream bit perfect 16/44.1 CD rips whereas the ATV resamples everything to 16/48 so is not bit perfect for audio. Then you will not need the TV on and you can control everything from your itunes.
I want an Apple TV to stream video and to mirror my iPad too. Sorry looks like I didn't make it clear why I wanted an Apple TV over an AirPort Express or something like a Sonos device.

In the cases I just want to listen to something I don't want to have to turn my TV on to do so.

However I didn't know about the audio quality issue. All my CD collection has been ripped to iTunes using the Apple Lossless audio codec so that is something I need to consider (I also listen to a lot of music on Spotify and I stream radio too so audio quality for that might not be a huge issue).

Last edited:

bpsmith

Just sat down to browse AVF whilst the missus is in the shower.

TV is Off. Powered up the AVR and set to ATV input. Powered on the ATV. Opened the Remote App on iPad and chose my track. Playing nicely now without the TV on. :)

Mine are all Apple lossless and sound is superb through my Kef Eggs. Don't know what the fuss is about compared to Express option. The Eggs aren't even supposed to be ideal for Music too, but sounds amazing combo IMHO.

ATV will work very well for you, trust me.

mikelj

I use the Remote App to listen to music all the time via ATV with my TV off. The 2.4GHz band is unbelievably crowded where I live, but with iTunes Match and my ATV wired and I can listen to any song in my iTunes library without any packet loss.

bpsmith

I use an AirPort Extreme and use the 5GHz WiFi network solely for streaming to my 3 ATV3's, because of the number of 2.4GHz networks in our new small estate. There's 18 networks in the apartment block opposite alone!

My 2.4GHz is on Channel 1 though, and I get no issues on that for the most part too mind you.

I can stream 3 separate 1080p BluRay Movies with no issues. The 3rd buffers a tiny bit prior to playback, but fine in a few seconds. Mac Mini Server is Wired though. It's all about how you lay your kit out and the WiFi channels used.

mikelj

I use an AirPort Extreme and use the 5GHz WiFi network solely for streaming to my 3 ATV3's, because of the number of 2.4GHz networks in our new small estate. There's 18 networks in the apartment block opposite alone!

My 2.4GHz is on Channel 1 though, and I get no issues on that for the most part too mind you.

I can stream 3 separate 1080p BluRay Movies with no issues. The 3rd buffers a tiny bit prior to playback, but fine in a few seconds. Mac Mini Server is Wired though. It's all about how you lay your kit out and the WiFi channels used.
I can't always guarantee 5GHz connection though (4 bed detached) and I only have the lounge and a back bedroom with a wired connection, so placing more AEs around the house isn't an option.

Edit: Plus there's loads of BT routers in the near vicinity, so that's channels 1, 6 & 11 taken.

bpsmith

Are you in an older built house? That changes everything.

Mine is a new build townhouse so, whilst I don't like the fact that sound travels between floors, I am happy to accept that WiFi signal also travels. Locating the AirPort Extreme in the centre of the middle floor helps a lot too.

Are you able to locate yours more centrally?

mikelj

No, it's a new build (10 years old). Unfortunately, I can't move my TC to a more central location (although it's not far off being located centrally anyway).

bpsmith

mikelj said:
No, it's a new build (10 years old). Unfortunately, I can't move my TC to a more central location (although it's not far off being located centrally anyway).
I still class that as a new build.

You can put it anywhere you like these days, with Powerline adapters.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom