Rumours of PS4

AML

Truth is as soon as they finish one console they are already working on the next. Same for any other company. This is probably one reason why they dont seem to be focused on the current console.

The PS3 will be here for at least 5 years. Sony want it to last for more like 10, but I dont think thats very realistic.

Considering that the PS2 is still outselling both the PS3 and the 360 I doubt sony will move all their attention to the PS3 for a while.

So far the machine is out in US and Japan, still to come out in the EU and there arent many games on it.

Its way too soon to be talking about the next PS.

jmacc

Distinguished Member
2010 yeah right.. add 2 years for delays then another year for pal version...

runam0k

It's a bit early to be talking about replacing the future-proof PS3.

This reminds me of Phil Harrison blabbing on about the possibility of PS4 not having an optical drive... That's one way to promote Blu Ray!

D

Deleted member 92943

jotch

Novice Member
The PSone pretty much lasted 11 years with Sony announcing cease on it's production in March of this year and the PS2 is still outselling all consoles except for the DS at the present time, just like when the PS2 was released and the PSone was outselling everything at the time, personally I think Sony are in a good position with the PS3 and I truly believe that it will be just as successful as it predecessor.

I remember reading all this kinda rubbish when the PS2 came out "PS2 is rubbish", but now it's "PS3 is rubbish".

Anyway if you do the math....PSOne 1994/5, PS2 2000, PS3 2005 with delays 2006.....PS4 2010, not really a stretch of the imagination. Sony have been saying for a while that they believe that these products have a lifecycle of 10years so expect to see the PS2 knocking around for another 3 years at least.

Smak

I remember reading all this kinda rubbish when the PS2 came out "PS2 is rubbish", but now it's "PS3 is rubbish".
I remember it well....

Originally Posted by Time.com
First, however, a reality check. PS2 can't actually use any of those connections yet. It can't go online (that's supposed to happen next year). For now PS2 is a fancy game machine, mixed with a lot of hype.
"Sony is a dinosaur," says Kimihide Takano, an analyst at Dresdner Kleinwort Benson in Tokyo. "PS2 is like a bud growing out of the dinosaur, but it's not big enough to save the dinosaur."

Originally Posted by Time.com
Developers say the standards and software in both GameCube and Xbox have chopped in half the time it takes to program a game--at least compared with the PlayStation 2, whose "emotion engine" system is so arcane that it has left a lot of developers badly burned. "PlayStation 2 is like a Maserati: looks great, but every time you take it in for an oil change, they have to take out the radiator," says Lorne Lanning, CEO of Oddworld Inhabitants, who led his Oddworld game from PlayStation to Xbox in mid-development. "The Xbox is more like a BMW."
Originally Posted by CNN.com
Chris Gilbert, an executive vice president at Sega of America Inc., said Sony's diminished PS2 shipment was terrific news -- for the Dreamcast manufacturer.

"Once the cheering subsided, we wanted to hammer home our message with retailers and consumers," Gilbert said. "You can have it all in one place with the Dreamcast and you don't have to spend the whole weekend looking for it."
And history has a way of repeating itself, you think the Time would be a bit more careful with their words....

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1570831,00.html

The big story in computer games this year was HOW TO BLOW A HUGE LEAD, by Sony. Its PlayStation 2 was the champ in the last round of the console wars. This time Sony bet on a chip called the Cell and a disc format called Blu-ray. They're probably awesome, but how would anybody know? The PS3 is hideously expensive--it goes for up to $600--and Sony manufactured only a piddling few hundred thousand for the U.S., fewer for Japan. Plus it's hard to write games for; the launch titles were lame. You know you're in trouble when you get beat by something called a Wii.
Reporters love to blow things out of proportion.

Miyazaki

Novice Member
I bet the PS4 will have an "emotion" engine, that can produce 'Toy Story' like graphics.

WelshBluebird

Novice Member
I bet the PS4 will have an "emotion" engine, that can produce 'Toy Story' like graphics.
lol.

While I agree sony has overhyped the PS3 and PS2, don't forget other companies do it aswell. And it was actually MS who said the xbox could do toy story like graphics (Sony may have said it about the PS2 aswell, but people need to realise that its not just sony who overhype their stuff).

runam0k

I remember it well....
PS2 won for some very clear reasons:

- Third party exclusives such as GTA and VF (both now multiplatform)
- DVD as an established tech (cf Blu Ray, an emerging and competing tech)
- Low, family-friendly price point (how quickly can Sony get PS3's price down?)

No quite history repeating itself IMHO but time will tell. Fascinating stuff, whatever happens.

Y

yorkshire_boy

No quite history repeating itself IMHO but time will tell. Fascinating stuff, whatever happens.
I thought VF was ps3 exclusive?

Smak

I think you missed my point, I was refering to comments made by the press not the success of the console.

Smak

What site was that info from, cant believe I missed that?

Miyazaki

Novice Member
The PS4 won't have any motion sensing technology, as that is last generation.

It will have a "vibration reality" device inside the controllers that can transmit the perception of motion in real time.... Or rumble, as we all call it.

The PS4 will also have a HD-DVD drive built in and will be able to stream media from a windows PC.

The PS4 also includes an extension port for a conservatory, and has 3 bedrooms. No need for central heating as the 578 CPUs in the core max processor provide all the heat you need. The PS4 requires planning permission, and comes with all the relevent application forms.

Gran Turismo 6, Metal Gear Solid 8 and Ridge Racer 15 will be the launch titles.

Edit: GT6 has been delayed to 2015

The latest video from AVForums

The Best Movies and TV Shows Coming to Netflix in November 2020: Tom's Thumbs.

Latest News

Tom's Thumbs: What is coming to Netflix in November 2020
  • By AVForums
  • Published
Melco anniversary edition N10 library announced
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for November 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Denon, Marantz and Yamaha AV receivers hit by HDMI 2.1 bug
  • By Andy Bassett