Rumoured price?

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by tazpc, Mar 24, 2006.

1. tazpc

tazpc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Rumor: Sony PS3 Will Retail For $389.99

According to an EB Games empolyee, the PS3 will sell for $389.99

Earlier today we received an email from a reader who took some time to head over to his local EB Games Store in Toronto where he had the opportunity to chat with the store manager about the PS3. Strangely enough, the EB manager seemed to know a fair bit about the PS3 launch and reluctantly let a few things slip.

When asked when someone can pre-order the PS3, the EB employee replied that EB Games stores in Canada will not even consider taking pre-orders until the E3 is out of the way. Adding that pre-orders could start in June.

He also slipped in a couple of dates. One being November 11th as the PS3 launch date, and November 22nd as a possible Nintendo Revolution Launch date

Perhaps most interestingly, the store manager revealed that they already have a SKU for the new console. When asked what price tag will be attached to the SKU, he replied $389.99(CDN). Considering the costs of manufacturing the PS3 are enormous, a price tag under $400 seems rather surprising. According to the Eb Games store manager, “each PS3 sale is being subsidized by the big Blu-ray backers including the big movie studios, so at the end of day Sony can undercut Microsoft and not lose massive of amounts of money per unit.”

Of course we can’t verify if any of this information is true, but if it is, a $-400 price tag would be great. However with the GDC now all but over the next time we hear anything official from Sony likely wont be until the E3 in May.

Taken from
    http://www.ps3news.ca/03232006/21/rumor_sony_ps3_will_retail_for_389_99

2. rss

rss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    When Sony announce the pricing then you can believe it. Until then, it's a guessing game.

If people are that worried about the price, budget £500 and if there is any left over, get yourself a game or two!

3. Bilbob

Bilbob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +294
    My word, that 'store manager' was remarkably well informed about the intracacies of marketing and brown goods' subsidies and pricing structures...

And apart form the obvious ones (IE, those owned by Sony for eg...) then why would the studios subsidise the ps3? What do they have to gain from the success of BR? They don't make commision, they just want to sell films...???

4. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    A bit like in Waynes World where the doorman knows everything about the record company's mr Big and where he's going!

Anyway if that price is true it will be amazing. $389.99 Canadian is $333.77us and only £190! The only way it's genuine is if you don't get any leads, hard drives, controllers or psu in the box.

5. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,473
    Didn't Sony themselves say it won't retail for less than US$425 just a couple of days ago...?

6. PioRow

PioRow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    £190!!!! Lets round that upto £300, now that would be a price I could live with.

7. danvitale

danvitale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    Yeah. £300, the figure Ive been telling you for ages and you wouldnt believe me. ;)

Row, I own you. Never forget that young Padewan.

8. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,151
    Where did you see that?

9. Mickus

Mickus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    Isn't that the " NO LESS THAN 50,000 yen /$425 " rumour than done the rounds a while back?

10. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,473
    Major Nelson quoted it specifically on his podcast... I've not done any reading around, but he mentioned it like it was confirmed news.

11. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,151
    Oh I see, I was just wondering about that as I hadn't seen that myself. It's not surprising if it's true though as there's a lot of technology in that box!