Rumour shutdown - Eight more Xbox One myths addressed

alphaomega16

Distinguished Member
PS seems to be a "should I play killzone" and the answer in my mind is always no

Only played the first one of that, not sure if I finished though.

Jacket

I don't get the 1080p stuff, the 360 can do 1080p 60fps but that doesn't mean it would look any good, of course the x1 can do it but I think the focus has been on the level of its graphics not the resolution.

Waynej

Distinguished Member
Yeah, the fanboys jump on the 1080p news to mock the Xbox One is a bit of a joke. Sure, a lack of 1080p games at launch may be disappointing, though I recall reading devs were frustrated with Microsoft and their driver changes following the upclock.

So maybe there are issues with the launch window of some games, Killer Instinct being 720p I find surprising for one. We know Forza 5 is 1080p 60fps, and I would be surprised if COD Ghosts was less than 1080p native. A lower resolution to aid in better visual effects and frame-rate is better than looking at a bland high-res game.

For those of us with ageing gaming PC's for example, we can tinker with texture quality, effects and resolution to get a better quality visual performance. My PC's GPU is 512mb, and I have 4GB Ram - this is very dated now. I can run most games on High at 720p, whereas in 2007 I could run games from then on High at 1080p. So there's no way in hell that a console with 5GB RAM dedicated for gaming can not do 1080p. The difference this time is that Microsoft is not insisting on resolution like they tried to do with 360.

If Battlefield 4 were to be 720p native for example I would expect it to look like the PC version on Ultra at 720p, and given the amount of action, vehicles and players on-screen, with a focus on frame rate, I'd be happy with 720p for a normal TV viewing distance.

I read that PS4's Killzone is 1080p 30fps for campaign. Assuming Sony does not mandate 1080p, Guerilla could have chosen frame rate performance over resolution. But that's their decision, and I get it, it's their flagship launch title and it does look rather stunning at 1080p. But would Sony fanboys be disappointed if it was 900p and 60fps instead? I'd prefer close to the best of both worlds myself.

Last edited:

King Tones

Distinguished Member
Nothing can help it "Take Off" people are not going to suddenly like playing kinect games just because the console comes with a kinect.

With electric bills keep going up people are not always going to watch TV through their kinect just because they can use the features it offers, I will be turning it off and changing source and switching off at the wall like I do now with the 360 when I am not playing a game.

Personally myself I put Kinect on the same level as 3D, its just a fun factor fad but where I am atm I have no problems with using 3D if I had a TV or any equipment that played it but as for the kinect I just dont have the room.

Maybe one day I might change my mind but as it stands now this is my opinion and I am sure everyone would disagree with me.

There is more to Kinect than just Kinect Games and you dont watch TV Through Kinect.
That will be using the HDMI in on the Console.
Kinect may not take off and you might be right but I am glad they are including a Free Kinect when you buy a Xbox One console, its a HD Skype Camera, a Voice Control Remote, A Harmony type remote and also gesture control and can be used for games. Cant argue with that when you are getting it for free.

I have the current Kinect and use it and maybe not that much for games but it comes in handy and the mrs loves it.
It will be used in my house alot and am sure lots of people are thinking the same. Already we are hearing positives about it in games like BF which is not even out yet and dev's have not even got to grips with it.

Exciting times imo and MS are doing the right thing including it in the box.
Everyone will have one and when a feature is released that appeals to people that dont use Kinect they can just plug it in and try it out.

zt1903

Distinguished Member
I don't get the 1080p stuff, the 360 can do 1080p 60fps but that doesn't mean it would look any good, of course the x1 can do it but I think the focus has been on the level of its graphics not the resolution.

It is NOT the case that XB1 can't do 1080/60 - Forza is proof enough of that. It is more the case that XB1 has a hardware handicap that means that going forward not many games are going to be native 1080p - everything other than Forza is an early sign of that.

The techy side to this is discussed at length in the "PS4 is noticeably faster" thread.

The PS3 and XB360 could both do 1080 but the reality was that very few games were even 720.

kav

Distinguished Member
@ Tones, the Camera threads on the PS4 forums are very revealing regarding just how angry people got about MS bundling Kinect - many people are willing to pay the same price as the X1 for a PS4 bundle including a camera, yet expressed outright hate for the Kinect. The main explanation for this is that one company is offering choice, while the other isn't. In the long term, MS have got to make Kinect 2.0 a success, whereas Sony can just piggyback on what MS achieve with Kinect. MS have a lot more to prove because of that.

The PS3 and XB360 could both do 1080 but the reality was that very few games were even 720.

And the best bit was, hardly anyone noticed (outside of internet arguments).

Last edited:

King Tones

Distinguished Member
@ Tones, the Camera threads on the PS4 forums are very revealing regarding just how angry people got about MS bundling Kinect - many people are willing to pay the same price as the X1 for a PS4 bundle including a camera, yet expressed outright hate for the Kinect. The main explanation for this is that one company is offering choice, while the other isn't. In the long term, MS have got to make Kinect 2.0 a success, whereas Sony can just piggyback on what MS achieve with Kinect. MS have a lot more to prove because of that.

Yeah I really did not understand the hatred tbh. Its like MS touched them in their no no place.

Most things now come with crap you dont want or never going to use.
From TV's to Cars, to Phones and Tablets.
Its technology it might not be for you but no need to get your knickers in a twist.
Should be interesting to see where it goes and what we get out of it. But already I can see the positives of the Free Kinect ;)

I know people put the price tag of £80 on it as its £80 more than the PS4 so they should just unbundle it and give the option but for £80 you are getting a hell of a lot. I would of paid £80 just for the function of saying " Xbox Record That "

There is so much it can do and make stuff easy to use. I know I have mentioned it before but I hate having to teach the mrs how to use stuff in the frontroom. If she wants to play her fitness game she just has to tell the xbox to turn on and it will sign her in without a controller and she can select her game and get toning up without any hassle. Then if she wants to watch ' Hart Of Dixie ' on Netflix she just tells the xbox to load up Netflix and select from her shows. And none of this is in game stuff.

zt1903

Distinguished Member
And the best bit was, hardly anyone noticed (outside of internet arguments).

8 years of digital foundry face offs and forum wars testify otherwise :p

To be fair though, we were coming from non-HD gaming on CRT televisions to (upscaled) HD gaming on HDTV so even those ugly ass sub-HD graphics looked great!

RedAl

Distinguished Member
Yeah I really did not understand the hatred tbh. Its like MS touched them in their no no place.

Most things now come with crap you dont want or never going to use.
From TV's to Cars, to Phones and Tablets.
Its technology it might not be for you but no need to get your knickers in a twist.
Should be interesting to see where it goes and what we get out of it. But already I can see the positives of the Free Kinect ;)

I know people put the price tag of £80 on it as its £80 more than the PS4 so they should just unbundle it and give the option but for £80 you are getting a hell of a lot. I would of paid £80 just for the function of saying " Xbox Record That "

There is so much it can do and make stuff easy to use. I know I have mentioned it before but I hate having to teach the mrs how to use stuff in the frontroom. If she wants to play her fitness game she just has to tell the xbox to turn on and it will sign her in without a controller and she can select her game and get toning up without any hassle. Then if she wants to watch ' Hart Of Dixie ' on Netflix she just tells the xbox to load up Netflix and select from her shows. And none of this is in game stuff.

It wasnt so much hatred in my case, more annoyance that I wanted to stay with the Xbox brand but felt like i was being held to ransom in effect. I`m nto saying I was and if anyone says "but no-one forced you to do anything" i`m going to punch a kitten. I`ve had no complaints about gaming on my 360 over the years. Apart from my first unit getting the RROD after a couple of years. Other than that its been a great journey. I have no complaints about Live or online play and as such I just wanted to stick with Xbox but the kinect was a step too far. I dont do motion or voice control. I just dont see the excitement or point of it all when I can do as much with a controller while kicking back in my desk chair. I have 2 seperate TV`s and sky boxes in the house so have no need to watch TV or use any of the functionality that comes with the X1. I use my home pc for my music needs as its connected into my hi-fi (as is my 360) so the media side of it is wasted too. I dont need to use Skype either for video calls. My Galaxy Note II phone is more than adequate for that and even then I have no-one i wish to have a video call with anyway.

As a result of the above I just decided Sony`s PS4 suited my requirements far better and for £80 cheaper. And ironically enough I am getting the mega bundle which includes the camera but I`m getting it because of the value for money and the included Killzone game plus extra controller. The camera will no doubt provide a giggle for 30 minutes but after that I can see me either selling it or sticking it in a cupboard. I am embarrassed enough dancing, let alone acting out minority report in my gaming time. I also dont really fancy talking to the console either. My missus takes the mick enough as it is over my gaming. If she caught me talking and waving to it she`d kill herself laughing. No, for me its all about gaming the old-skool way. I`ve no doubt its an exciting time for those who are interested in all the motion and voice control. It just doesnt excite or impress me on any level.

zt1903

Distinguished Member
On the eight myths:

1. is a Myth, sort of. Kinect will gather data, perhaps not as bad as some of the more lurid theories suggest, but more data than you need to play a game. It won't be done secretly, but it likely won't be done that transperently either.

2. Is a Myth. XB1 can do 1080p gaming, it just doesn't look like it's going to be as standard due to hardware constraints.

3. Time will tell. If XB1 with bundled Kinect doesn't make it's numbers then who knows.

4. Is a Myth. No one has really suggested that they don't have exclusives or 1st party, only that they're not as good as Sony or Nintendo.

5. Time will tell.

6. Unproven. Severe cutting back of scope of launch is highly suggestive that there are not enough production units to support the bigger launch. "Yield issues" doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the ones that come off the production line, just that there aren't enough of them.

7. Has anyone even been talking about this apart from for 15 minutes after the concept video.

8. Unproven. MS did not obviously seem to care much about Indies until Sony made a big play of it AND it got a big positive reaction. If it had "always intended to make publishing on Xbox easier for smaller dev" then I would have expected that there might be some actual indie launch titles rather than talk of a programme being established. Time will tell but MS appear to be on the right track now.

Last edited:

King Tones

Distinguished Member
It wasnt so much hatred in my case, more annoyance that I wanted to stay with the Xbox brand but felt like i was being held to ransom in effect. I`m nto saying I was and if anyone says "but no-one forced you to do anything" i`m going to punch a kitten. I`ve had no complaints about gaming on my 360 over the years. Apart from my first unit getting the RROD after a couple of years. Other than that its been a great journey. I have no complaints about Live or online play and as such I just wanted to stick with Xbox but the kinect was a step too far. I dont do motion or voice control. I just dont see the excitement or point of it all when I can do as much with a controller while kicking back in my desk chair. I have 2 seperate TV`s and sky boxes in the house so have no need to watch TV or use any of the functionality that comes with the X1. I use my home pc for my music needs as its connected into my hi-fi (as is my 360) so the media side of it is wasted too. I dont need to use Skype either for video calls. My Galaxy Note II phone is more than adequate for that and even then I have no-one i wish to have a video call with anyway.

As a result of the above I just decided Sony`s PS4 suited my requirements far better and for £80 cheaper. And ironically enough I am getting the mega bundle which includes the camera but I`m getting it because of the value for money and the included Killzone game plus extra controller. The camera will no doubt provide a giggle for 30 minutes but after that I can see me either selling it or sticking it in a cupboard. I am embarrassed enough dancing, let alone acting out minority report in my gaming time. I also dont really fancy talking to the console either. My missus takes the mick enough as it is over my gaming. If she caught me talking and waving to it she`d kill herself laughing. No, for me its all about gaming the old-skool way. I`ve no doubt its an exciting time for those who are interested in all the motion and voice control. It just doesnt excite or impress me on any level.

But Al no one was forcing you to........:devil:

Best punch that kitten as your missus said thats the only pussy action your going to get anytime soon :D

I understand peoples reasoning completely, its not for everyone.
It was more the hatred of them not creating a box to peoples specifics requirements that was quite funny and the hate for the spycam.

Everyone is different and nowt wrong with either console, its great we have been given the choice. I would be interested in a PS4 if the games lineup interested me.

RedAl

Distinguished Member
But Al no one was forcing you to........:devil:

Best punch that kitten as your missus said thats the only pussy action your going to get anytime soon :D

It was more the hatred of them not creating a box to peoples specifics requirements that was quite funny and the hate for the spycam.

Everyone is different and nowt wrong with either console, its great we have been given the choice. I would be interested in a PS4 if the games lineup interested me.

That made me laugh out loud you swine. I can always rely on you to hit me where it hurts :rotfl:

And like you I am glad Sony took a different approach. I dont believe that motion gamin on the PS4 will be adversely affected. It sounds like an awful lot of people bought the Mega Bundle with Camera so Sony will know that as will devs. The trick is will one major dev take a huge punt and try to make a game that utilises the camera enough to persuade more people to give it a try. The reward for being the first one will be immense.

I look forward to everyone`s thoughts in November and December as to how they`re getting on with the Kinect and the way its changed their console use/gaming. :thumbsup:

KirkSi

Distinguished Member
There is more to Kinect than just Kinect Games and you dont watch TV Through Kinect.
That will be using the HDMI in on the Console.
Kinect may not take off and you might be right but I am glad they are including a Free Kinect when you buy a Xbox One console, its a HD Skype Camera, a Voice Control Remote, A Harmony type remote and also gesture control and can be used for games. Cant argue with that when you are getting it for free.

I have the current Kinect and use it and maybe not that much for games but it comes in handy and the mrs loves it.
It will be used in my house alot and am sure lots of people are thinking the same. Already we are hearing positives about it in games like BF which is not even out yet and dev's have not even got to grips with it.

Exciting times imo and MS are doing the right thing including it in the box.
Everyone will have one and when a feature is released that appeals to people that dont use Kinect they can just plug it in and try it out.

Exactly, everyone hears Kinect and thinks they have to be stood up jumping around and waving their arms about. This version of Kinect can be used in lots more ways than that. If you don't fancy playing the jumpy wavy games then fine, but that doesn't mean you won't use Kinect at all.

jjgreenwood

Foster

Distinguished Member

alphaomega16

Distinguished Member
Exactly, everyone hears Kinect and thinks they have to be stood up jumping around and waving their arms about. This version of Kinect can be used in lots more ways than that. If you don't fancy playing the jumpy wavy games then fine, but that doesn't mean you won't use Kinect at all.

It does if I can use the controller to do the same thing.

alphaomega16

Distinguished Member

Never did buy into the whole spy cam thing myself.

McKnuckles

It does if I can use the controller to do the same thing.

Ah, but that's where you are missing out! The best "Game" example of Kinnect I can think of with my current Xbox 360 was with Mass Effect 3. You *could* play the game with the controller, using the radial pop-up menu to select orders for your companion characters or you could just use the controller to blaze away with Shepherd and yell out "Liara - Singularity" every now and then to use the Kinnect voice control to get the companion characters to act. The latter really enhanced the game experience & was seamlessly integrated.

Kinnect 2 + more adventurous developers (and the fact that *every* XB1 will have a Kinnect 2) means that many games could benefit from some nice enhancements.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom