Rumor: Microsoft to Release 1TB Hard Drive for Xbox 360

Germinator

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Rumor: Microsoft to Release 1TB Hard Drive for Xbox 360 - Xbox

You will probably need to take out a second mortgage to buy it considering the launch 20gb and 120gb were way overpriced.

The rumor is out there and every where. Several publications, analysts and forum users claim Microsoft plans to release a 1 terabyte (1,000 GB) hard disk drive for the Xbox 360. The reason? The new Games on Demand service, which will offer both Xbox Originals and classic Xbox 360 titles as digital downloads. Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter is one the analysts who think Microsoft needs such big hard drive on the Xbox 360 so the Games on Demand service is not held back by current storage options.

"I don't see the timing between new release and digital download being a function of anything other than hard drive sizes," offered Pachter, speaking exclusively to GamesIndustry.biz. "I think as soon as we have large hard drives - think the rumoured Project Natal 'new' Xbox 360 with a terabyte of storage in 2010 - we'll have day-and-date downloads."

Would you pay for a 1TB hard drive in order to start buying downloadable Xbox 360 games that are also available at retail stores?

Kind of OT, but is the Games on demand going to be for us UK people too ? :D

I would personally buy one if the price was right, the same for downloads on demand if the price was cheaper then pre-owned games but that is very doubtful and optimistic :rolleyes: otherwise i quite like stacking games and DVDs:rotfl:

If its released here, surely the RRP will be >£200 going on the price of the 120 gb. Its an interesting prospect though.

Some places seem to be moving the 120GB HDD for around £65 these days so it wouldn't surprise me if for £130 they gave a 500GB HDD. 1TB seems a little excessive.

When the 120 gig was first released it was roughly £1 per gig...cant see the same applying here tho!:rotfl:

Considering they used to sell the 120 for anything upwards of 70 quid i would be expecting this to be anything upwards of 200 quid. 1tb is not needed anyways its tooooooo much

Considering they used to sell the 120 for anything upwards of 70 quid i would be expecting this to be anything upwards of 200 quid. 1tb is not needed anyways its tooooooo much

But too much is good :D never run out! :)

Though i'd fill it no problem, even faster on a PC hdd :rotfl:

The 120gb one is fine for me ive got 10 or so games installed and lots of saves, dlc no need for 10 times more space :eek:

maybe its got something too do with the new sky thing?

Seems a little excessive. 250GB-500GB would be good, I don't think most would need more than that. Ever.

When the 120 gig was first released it was roughly £1 per gig...cant see the same applying here tho!:rotfl:
:eek: i hope not :rotfl:

i too will stick with discs over downloading Games OD (due to my internet connection) and you dont need more than 320GB id have said

You do know MS plans to charge full RRP for Games on Demand games.

I'll be sticking with retail as long as they still make physical discs.

+1

Anyone who is serious about their gaming should shun the download service for the sake of the second hand game market. Although i have to admit, if they offer Modern Warfare 2 a week early via download I will be all over it.

If you could start storing your own movies on it, like you can with music, and other files, maybe as network storage, then it may be slightly worth it...
otherwise no point! 120gb is more than enough for an average user!

considering the largest 2.5" sata drives available are 500Gb and the very recently annouced seagate 640gb

I think a 1tb anytime soon rumour can be considered false

however - I do agree that larger drives should be offered at prices that are reflective of the market e.g 500gb for £90-£100

+1

Anyone who is serious about their gaming should shun the download service for the sake of the second hand game market. Although i have to admit, if they offer Modern Warfare 2 a week early via download I will be all over it.
it will probably end up as a steam style thing where you can download it early and its unlocked on release

At first thought it sounds like complete overkill - and the latest step in the "My HDD's bigger than yours" urinating contest with Sony...

But if the 360 is expected to last another 6 years (if the rumours of its replacement not being due until 2015 are to be believed) then it might not be far off the mark - the 360 is really going to struggle with DVD's storage capacity in years to come, and if blu-ray isn't an option then compulsary installs are going to be a requirement - Forza 3 we know is coming on 2 discs, the floodgates might open after that, god knows how many discs MGS Rising will ship on...

considering the largest 2.5" sata drives available are 500Gb and the very recently annouced seagate 640gb

I think a 1tb anytime soon rumour can be considered false

however - I do agree that larger drives should be offered at prices that are reflective of the market e.g 500gb for £90-£100

could be an external drive that uses the ethernet socket?

At first thought it sounds like complete overkill - and the latest step in the "My HDD's bigger than yours" urinating contest with Sony...

But if the 360 is expected to last another 6 years (if the rumours of its replacement not being due until 2015 are to be believed) then it might not be far off the mark - the 360 is really going to struggle with DVD's storage capacity in years to come, and if blu-ray isn't an option then compulsary installs are going to be a requirement - Forza 3 we know is coming on 2 discs, the floodgates might open after that, god knows how many discs MGS Rising will ship on...
but then surely its an idea to wait and see what happens in the HDD market as they will certainly drop in price on the consumer side and the manufacturing side

it will probably end up as a steam style thing where you can download it early and its unlocked on release

Then there is no incentive for me. I'm out !

HSC makes a great point. 1TB is massive overkill and isn't a realistic option considering whats available on the market at the moment. 500GB is a far more likely release especially considering the new tie up with Sky.

Then there is no incentive for me. I'm out !

HSC makes a great point. 1TB is massive overkill and isn't a realistic option considering whats available on the market at the moment. 500GB is a far more likely release especially considering the new tie up with Sky.
agreed, especially if they sell the games for full price with a disc you can trade it in, but the DLs will be tied to your GT

agreed, especially if they sell the games for full price with a disc you can trade it in, but the DLs will be tied to your GT

That's what puts me off the idea, you can't trade it on when you've finished with it...

I think if MS choose to go the external route then I hope they don't go with a bespoke unit and you can choose any external HDD, which Sony allow on the PS3, so it would be seen as they're both on the same playing field. They'd probably release a specific XBox 360 edition however.

As an aside - who is the current supplier of HDD's for the 360 and what capacities do they have on offer?

That's what puts me off the idea, you can't trade it on when you've finished with it...

I think if MS choose to go the external route then I hope they don't go with a bespoke unit and you can choose any external HDD, which Sony allow on the PS3, so it would be seen as they're both on the same playing field. They'd probably release a specific XBox 360 edition however.

As an aside - who is the current supplier of HDD's for the 360 and what capacities do they have on offer?
its one model type of seagate (IIRC) as far as i know for the 120GB

I think a bigger HDD would be great ive just about filled my 120 with games and DLC but then again theres only so many games i can play on and its only my regular games im bothered about being on my HDD so i guess it would be a waste of money...

I can see a 1TB happening though games are getting bigger an HDD are getting cheaper you can buy a 1TB HDD for PC for about £60 now and im sure ive heard about a new racing game being 2 disks in size and then there would be DLC for it so i guess the whole package could be 12GB+ in size.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom