Rumor-Is-Microsoft-cheating-their-sales

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really and im sure nintendo and sony do the same, im also pretty sure that all sorts of companies do this be it electrical, household, manufacturing etc......its all about keeping those shareholders happy even if it means 'massaging' sales figures.

Not really and im sure nintendo and sony do the same, im also pretty sure that all sorts of companies do this be it electrical, household, manufacturing etc......its all about keeping those shareholders happy even if it means 'massaging' sales figures.

Hope not otherwise these company’s will be heavily fined and the directors sent down..... Enron anyone? You can not lie to shareholders.

Sony's figures are sent from Warehouses I believe and MS's figures are sold to retailers, MS have never said as far as I know that the 10 million odd are install base/end users.

No disrespect to Kalel for posting this but as a gamer I only care about games not who sold what and how many.

I'll leave the sales figures to the industry men.

Just makes me want to :boring:

Companies lie and cheat all the time... what's new?

'That being said, would you buy from Microsoft, or any other company for that matter, if they were cheating their sales?'
I don't give a damn how many they've sold or whether they lie, I enjoy playing the games so who cares which console has sold what amount :suicide: .

I make baked beans.
Shops order 10 million baked beans.
I deliver 10 million baked beans.
I've thus sold 10 million baked beans.
Or does my company only get credited with baked beans sales once a customer goes into a shop and walks out with a tin, at least one link in the retail chain away from me?

Are you suggesting that, at night, I send out secret lorries full of baked beans and force the shops to take them against their will?

"Hey, Luigi, why you turn up at my store at this hour of the night?"
"Bill says you gotta take 'em Stan"
"No, Luigi, I've got no room, can't he wait until after the end of the tax year?"
"Bill says your having them Stan and you can tell your PS3 fanboy staff to keep quiet or they'll sweeem with the feeshes"

Of course sales people are going to do the .... "Hey it's coming up to my year end, you're buying 1000 consoles, I can do you a great deal on another 200 if you order now to be delivered by the end of March". If that's "stuffing" then welcome to the world of sales.

Enron was a bit different, they were rolling up the next 5 or ten years worth of sales into the current year!

Hope not otherwise these company’s will be heavily fined and the directors sent down..... Enron anyone? You can not lie to shareholders.

All companies massage their figures and neglect to add information or suger coat what the customer and shareholder wants to see, its not illegal. Its amazing what you can do with a set of statistics a spread sheet and a few accountants.

This is common practice.

This thread is a waste of time if you ask me, moreover that article is.

Slim

'That being said, would you buy from Microsoft, or any other company for that matter, if they were cheating their sales?'.

I pretty much assumed that most truly major companies were involved in this kind of thing in one way or another.

if the guy reckons thats news, wait till he finds out the easter bunny isn't real, or his dad dresses up as santa at christmas

thats how most companies measure sales. they take an order from the customer, which is a store or wholesaler in this case, and ship them the goods and invoice them, thus completing the sale. the consoles aren't sold on a sale or return basis. the stores won't buy anymore unless they can in turn sell the stock they have to consumers

it's not like the record business where "the charts" are/were/supposed to {delete depending on your romantic notion of the charts} reflect retail sales to customers/fans/idiots {delete as you wish} and the sales are recorded using point of sale systems. most manufacturing companies wouldn't have a clue how many units were sold in stores, unless they had a direct tap into stock control systems

whoever wrote that story sounds like they don't have a clue. who really cares how many units were sold to consumers as opposed to retailers? in the end they are all going to be sold to consumers anyway. what really matters is if the games are going to be good, and the format is going to continue to survive (if thats more important to you than just playing the damn game)

what kind of backlash does the guy think is going to happen? the retailers know how things work, but even if they were so dumb as not to know, all they care about is shifting units and making a profit. a product is either successful and profitable to them and they will keep stocking it, or not and they won't. to think retailers carry stock for moral reasons is like thinking gw bush is a caring sharing kinda guy

does he really think people would stop buying a product simply because of a technical aspect of declaring sales that he personally objects to?

the guy should become a politician. don't the tories need someone to replace the idiot thats in charge at the moment? he sounds like the ideal chap, turns nonsense into a good chat

It's all you're seeing on games sites these days... Sony sold X in the 1st week, Wii sold X last week, 360 sold X at this time last year compared to PS3 selling X blah blah blah.

I cant think of anything less interesting.

N4G.com are one of the worst offenderes for it.

Why this info is of any concern to the average gamer is beyond me :confused:

If someone has sold 10,000,000 units to a retailer or distributer, haven't they been paid for 10,000,000 units? Doesn't the shareholder only care about what they've been paid for? They aren't going to get any more when the customer buys the unit from the retailer. This really is a silly article.

If someone has sold 10,000,000 units to a retailer or distributer, haven't they been paid for 10,000,000 units? Doesn't the shareholder only care about what they've been paid for? They aren't going to get any more when the customer buys the unit from the retailer. This really is a silly article.

the shareholders couldn't care less if you were destroying the planet and killing the young and elderly as long as they were making a profit out of it. the only number they read on the shareholders brochuer pack is the number on the dividends cheque. they probably don't even know what a xbox or ps3 is, and don't even want to know

it's one of the stupidest articles i've read that isn't on the onion.com

Rofl that's the funniest "news" article I've ever read.

Welcome to business!

And to the person who mentioned Enron, well if it wouldn't get me banned I would be amusing myself greatly right now at your expense. How the hell do you think any manufacturer gets its sales figures, you think they write to the retailers and ask them how many of their products have been sold?

Right there's been enough discussion of sales figures recently so before this thread goes like the others I'm closing it...:thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom