Rumble Fish - Limited Edition Blu-ray Review

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD discs' started by The News Bot, Jul 30, 2012.

1. The News Bot

The News Bot
      News Supplying Robot

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +446
      “Every now and then, a person comes along who has a different view of the world than the usual person. It doesn’t make them crazy. I mean... an acute perception, man, that doesn’t make you crazy. However, sometimes, it can drive you crazy – acute perception.”

A potent example of remarkably effective style over substance, Francis Ford Coppola’s experimental mood piece, Rumble Fish, was a Box Office disaster upon release, but has gone on to become a much-loved cult classic in the years since. Boasting a cast of young actors who would almost all go on to become household names, and featuring one of Mickey Rourke’s best golden era performances, it blends striking black and white visuals with a daring percussive score, resulting in the director’s most atmospheric work since Apocalypse Now.

Read the full review...

2. MJeeves

MJeeves

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +224
      Thanks Cas. Awesome and informative review. :thumbsup:

3. BRW

BRW

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +135
      10/10?! Guess thats another one for the list.

Great review, sounds like a great movie. I like Mickey Rourke but have never seen this. Looks very different!

4. Casimir Harlow

Casimir Harlow
      Blu-ray Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5,593
      If you like Rourke but have only known the recent comeback version of his former self then I highly recommend you check this out, as well as Angel Heart (and then others like Diner, Pope of Greenwich Village and Year of the Dragon).

Now if only I could get ahold of a copy of Barfly...

Glad you enjoyed the review :thumbsup:

Thanks, Cas

5. Casimir Harlow

Casimir Harlow
      Blu-ray Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5,593
      You're welcome mate, glad you liked it :thumbsup:

6. MJeeves

MJeeves

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +224
      Kinda related in a "not so related" kinda way... "KILLSHOT" a thriller based on Emoe Leonard's novel and starring a reunited Diane Lane and Mickey Rourke was released today. To see these two great actors (only 30 years later!) it is a flawed film but quite interesting and even flawed Rourke and Lane is better than most.

Can't wait to get my mits on the RUMBLE FISH steelbook. :thumbsup:

7. Casimir Harlow

Casimir Harlow
      Blu-ray Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5,593
      Ha! I totally overlooked that connection when I saw Killshot, perhaps because Rourke never shared the screen with Lane in Rumble Fish, or maybe just because of the years separating the two films.

I agree that Rourke is watchable in almost anything (Passion Play?!) but I had problems with Killshot.

Firstly, I'd read the far superior Elmore Leonard book already, so, with Rourke attached, I expected much more.

Second, I was VERY concerned about the fact it was shot in 2005, screened in 2006 and then re-edited with new scenes shot (and Johnny Knoxville's character completely ripped out - for good or for bad), and then released quietly straight-to-home-formats at the end of 2008. That's not a good sign, and somebody clearly messed this film up. I'd have liked to have seen the original cut for comparison. Test audiences may have found it 'too confusing' but test audiences have also been known to order "more Channing Tatum" for films too ;)

Poor Rourke hasn't had an easy ride of it. Considering Rumble Fish, Angel Heart etc. etc. it's still shocking to see him - to this day - struggling with films which are far below his worth. Glad he's returning to Sin City though, Marv was really the first major step in his comeback and it's a character that he was simply MADE FOR. Can't wait to see him do the prequel, in fact I'm gonna dig out the novel right now...

Cheers for the comments mate :thumbsup:
      Cas

8. MJeeves

MJeeves

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +224
      Yes Cas. I remember following the production of the film quite closely as I am a HUGE fan of the Elmore Leonard novel, Diane Lane and Mickey Rourke (so I had triple interest). From what I gather... the problem was that the test audiences found the films "geography" confusing (the fact that Diane Lane and Thomas "The Punisher" Jane have to enter the witness protection programme and move around alot). Also, apparently, the test audiences couldn't "handle" Knoxville as the somewhat serious and sinister Ferris Britton character. For this reason... the Weinsteins ordered John Madden to re-shoot the Diane Lane/Johnny Knoxville parts with another actor but Lane was already busy doing other work so they had to wait for her to be available again. In that time, Tarantino decided to remove his name from the project in protest at Knoxville being cut out. Eventually, the film was re-edited with additional story drafts and dialogue overseen by a dying Sydney Pollack and Anthony Minghella. The Weinsteins were still not happy and wrestled the film away from Madden. They gave the film a small theatrical release in the US but due to zero promotion it sank without trace. It was released in the US on home video to coincide with Rourke's success in "The Wrestler".

This interesting article ( Shelved! Why ‘Killshot' Deserved Better | Film School Rejects ) goes into more detail about how badly things can go wrong with a film. Having said that I actually like "KILLSHOT" BUT do recognise that it is flawed. I too would love to see it released in it's original un-molested form. I too would LOVE to see Mickey Rourke and Diane Lane get the parts and scripts that their talent deserve.

Cheers Cas.

9. Casimir Harlow

Casimir Harlow
      Blu-ray Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5,593
      Great article, cheers for the link.

Shame you can't even watch the 2006 trailer anymore - of course we'll likely never see the original version of the film itself either!