Rum

Been consuming Myers’s Dark Rum recently. Potent stuff. I’ve read on the whisky thread how some prefer the higher ABV marques as 40% can feel a bit thin. Not with this stuff, it’s fully flavoured rum, like a cross between Jamaican funk and Navy rum. Not at all subtle, but I’m loving it neat all the same. If you mix it would be great with coke or as a dark and stormy.

Lidl's liberte spiced rum is decent too @ 15 quid a bottle... had the dark one ages ago, but the spiced one is real nice..

Being so impressed by the Duppy Share, I espied a spiced version, lower ABV but also very tasty in deed

I know, fancy talk for a Friday night…..I’ve got a Amazon basket I’m looking with around £200 of rum in it, need to reduce that slightly

yep, i was at tesco and bought some various rums the other week - tho, only a few bottles... but that lidl stuff is decent for the price...

the 'normal' duppy share comes in at 24 quid (first option that came up when i searched for it..) -
link and looks nice..

as a rule i don't normally pay more than 20 quid for a 'normal' bottle of rum, but rumbullion is a bargain if it comes down to 25 quid again.. :)

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
yep, i was at tesco and bought some various rums the other week - tho, only a few bottles... but that lidl stuff is decent for the price...

the 'normal' duppy share comes in at 24 quid (first option that came up when i searched for it..) -
link and looks nice..

as a rule i don't normally pay more than 20 quid for a 'normal' bottle of rum, but rumbullion is a bargain if it comes down to 25 quid again.. :)
The basket did have many bottles in it not 1 or 3

I ditched the Amazon basket, for fear of getting shot, so went with a Diplomatico Reserva instead.

Well, I had, and it went, a bottle of El Dorado 15. It was a birthday gift (Ta), which I may not have got for myself after immersing myself in the general sugar dosing debate.

However, it really is one of the finest rums I’ve had. Sure, it’s demerara rum but the sweetness isn’t confected like some of those ‘solara’ aged styles. Maybe a little less of the over ripe banana than I remember from old. But yes, took me back 20 years. And yes, take the 15 over the 12.
Love to have the money to try the 21 yo. 25 is going for silly money, one for the yacht owners.
El Dorado 15 is one of my favourites. I picked up a bottle of 25yo, years back in the Caribbean. Seem to remember paying $40 for it! Probably the nicest rum I've ever had. I also find the 5 yo great with mixers. (fever tree ginger ale, lime and ice). Aldi had it for a limited period a few years ago.

Wray and Nephew Overpoof, you'll probably taste a difference to bacardi

Taste not the only difference you'll notice, steady hand with Wray and Nephew Over proof.

I know spiced rum is often frowned upon or looked down upon by some, but I really enjoy Old J's. Think it's around £21 a bottle at Morrisons. Basically the same recipe as the original Sailor Jerry's which was superb before they changed the recipe. Going to buy myself a bottle of Old J's Tiki Fire (75% ABV) for christmas which is the original stuff but at double strength.

I know spiced rum is often frowned upon or looked down upon by some, but I really enjoy Old J's. Think it's around £21 a bottle at Morrisons. Basically the same recipe as the original Sailor Jerry's which was superb before they changed the recipe. Going to buy myself a bottle of Old J's Tiki Fire (75% ABV) for christmas which is the original stuff but at double strength.

Certainly not frowned upon here!

I love my golden run more and have had some fairly pricey bottles but I still love old j, really impressive for the price with a nice vanilla flavour

Certainly not frowned upon here!

I love my golden run more and have had some fairly pricey bottles but I still love old j, really impressive for the price with a nice vanilla flavour
Good! A few other online communities (such as the rum section of reddit) do seem to have a negative attitude towards 'spiced' rums. Always thought it was a little snobby.

75abv...damn

let me google that :D

I like an alcohol that kicks my ass enough to sip it over an hour or more..

I seem to remember having sailor jerry and not minding it, then again and finding it sickly. Maybe that was due to the formula change then.
Santa Teresa have an orange rum liqueur which I enjoyed. Rockstar Rum have a pineapple handgrenade tiki style drink which is fun 65% so the alcohol leavens the sweetness. I’ll check out that 75% old J .

Grab a bottle of that 75 and let me know 😁 easy to find in the uk, struggling here.

I ended up buying another bottle of that Plantation overproof. It'll keep me warming in the coming cold spell (if it lasts that long!).

Sometimes, strong and simple works. I’ve been on a whisky thing recently as the UK supermarkets have been rubbish with stocking rums lately. Asda culled a few more interesting ones for a range of kopperburg flavoured crap.

I may Amazon some plantation. You must be able to source from LMDW where you reside? That option got more pricey when Brexit finally hit us.

Yeah I have them bookmarked, but always end up on amazon. Habit!

Going for a browse now :D

Some of their offers were so good that they beat everybody. Case in point being Pussers Gunpowder Proof, they’d mark it down to €23 about 2 or 3 times a year.

Bumbu ended up in the basket today, tried it with a couple of ice cubes you can almost chew on the bananas. Plus it’s a very cool looking bottle.

link and looks nice..

Rumbullion is around £25.00 on Amazon at the moment, my order arrived today well packaged and all wax drips intact.

I also snuck a bottle of Monkey 47 gin and Talisker Stormy Sky because why not?

Not tried rumbullion as I don’t usually go for sweeter/spiced rums. That said, what’s it like? Just because I’m a fan boy of pussers gunpowder, the top abv spiced version of that one kind of interests me.

Not tried rumbullion as I don’t usually go for sweeter/spiced rums. That said, what’s it like? Just because I’m a fan boy of pussers gunpowder, the top abv spiced version of that one kind of interests me.
I’ve not tried the overproof version, but the regular 43% is Christmas in glass with a warming pleasant profile. It’s not going to blow your socks off, but neat with a little ice and I am set.

I’ve not tried the overproof version, but the regular 43% is Christmas in glass with a warming pleasant profile. It’s not going to blow your socks off, but neat with a little ice and I am set.
Special offer on Amazon today so I'm counting on you :D

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom