Rules for alphabetizing your collection

liquidsoap89

Established Member
Reaction score
So I thought I had it all figured out... Things were perfect! But as it turns out I'm starting to run in to some less than ideal situations.

Right now, numbered movies go first, then a-z. Sequels go after the previous movie, even if the first letter is different, The Dark Knight comes after Batman Begins. Godzilla 1954 goes before Godzilla 2014, etc.

Now... Should prequels -which are typically made after the original- go BEFORE the original? Something like Rise/Dawn/War before the original Planet of the Apes? Or should they be a separate trilogy starting at R? Or do they go after POTA because they were made after it?
Same thing with Prometheus. Before the Alien Quadrilogy? After? What about after AVP?
Batman v Superman (I know), after Man of Steel? After TDK trilogy?

These are the important questions scientists should be trying to solve!

My rule is very simple, numbers are still spelt by letters so stay alphabetically linked and sequels and prequels etc all still go by their name as well unless I have consolidated them all into one case to save space and then it is by the first film title (Produced not prequels) , as I say it is simply done for me :laugh:

I put mine in the letters right place but timeline trumps it eg the Star Wars prequels will come before the original trilogy even if they said something like on the prequel Star Wars:The Beginning and on the original set Star Wars:A New Hope.

So I thought I had it all figured out... Things were perfect! But as it turns out I'm starting to run in to some less than ideal situations.

Right now, numbered movies go first, then a-z. Sequels go after the previous movie, even if the first letter is different, The Dark Knight comes after Batman Begins. Godzilla 1954 goes before Godzilla 2014, etc.

Now... Should prequels -which are typically made after the original- go BEFORE the original? Something like Rise/Dawn/War before the original Planet of the Apes? Or should they be a separate trilogy starting at R? Or do they go after POTA because they were made after it?
Same thing with Prometheus. Before the Alien Quadrilogy? After? What about after AVP?
Batman v Superman (I know), after Man of Steel? After TDK trilogy?

These are the important questions scientists should be trying to solve!

I understand your pain. I try to hold onto the fact that others may be worse off (although I can't imagine how). Nevertheless, you can't be too draconian with your alphabet.

Batman films are batman films- put them at B in release order
Planet of the apes films start at P in release order
Ditto Alien/ Lord of the Rings/ XMen
etc etc etc.

It's not as if you're going to have trouble finding them is it:
"the dark knight isn't in the Ds! Where on Earth could I have put it??" :eek::)

I put mine in Genre order I.e. (Super heroes), then by studio, Marvel, DC comics and then in release order and using batman as an example batman vs superman is at the end..

Although, when it comes down to star wars, I have the prequels first..

There isn't a perfect solution but this is ok with my OCD ;)

And I thought it was just me! Love this thread :)

And I thought it was just me! Love this thread :)
You're going to love me then; the few discs I own are randomly put in a disc 'wallet' (I've thrown the cases away to save space) and as I rent I tend to only have three discs at a time on top of my AV rack.

Life is too short to worry about such things. :)

To the OP - I will always but prequels first so that Star Wars read episode I first etc same with Star Trek.

Although I do have James Bond and a Batman films by title. Hmmmmm...

Last edited:
You're going to love me then; the few discs I own are randomly put in a disc 'wallet' (I've thrown the cases away to save space) and as I rent I tend to only have three discs at a time on top of my AV rack.

I have around 500 blu rays, got too complicated and took up too much space so decided on using wallets only.

I now just add my latest film to the next available space in one of my wallets.

I now use mymovies app, this has a location tab on it. Each folder has a colour name, and each insert has a number. If I want to find a film I go into my app, lol for the location and simply open up the relevant folder to the right page number. Now takes me seconds to find the film I want to watch.

You can also filter your searches in the app, by whatever you want. Say you wanted to watch a sci fi film with a Dolby atmos track, it then gives you your movies that fall into the category.

Works brilliantly!
IMG_3779.PNG
IMG_3780.PNG

For the majority of my collection it's films with numbers first (ie 2001/2010/2012) then titles in alphabetical order with the exception to this rule being film series like the Nolan Batman Trilogy, new Planet of the Apes Trilogy and X-Men films which have them in their release order although I don't have Prometheus next to Alien or BvS after Man of Steel.

I do have several other categories though, all the MCU films are grouped together in release order, same goes for the Godzilla films, Disney animated films, Pixar films and finally Star Trek series in production order (TOS/TAS/TNG/ENT)

I put mine in Genre order I.e. (Super heroes), then by studio, Marvel, DC comics and then in release order and using batman as an example batman vs superman is at the end..

Although, when it comes down to star wars, I have the prequels first..

There isn't a perfect solution but this is ok with my OCD ;)
This sounds like a nightmare! Where would you put a movie like Sunshine, or The Invitation... Movies that change genres half way!? And what about a movie like Spiderman Homecoming? A Sony movie made by Marvel Studios. Or in your case does Marvel just cover all Marvel related stuff (ie Marvel Studio's MCU, Sony's Spiderman, Fox's X-Men)?

giphy.gif

Some good posts here, [emoji12]. Made me laugh.

I am a mixture of random and organised. Located anywhere, Tarantino movies together, Stuff I won't watch for a long time at the bottom, popular stuff at eye height, 3D together, same for Immersive Audio and Demo disks.

New stuff is on a shelf of their own, and I have films that my kids must watch for their "movie education" grouped together. Of course, they don't.

And DVDs are sat their waiting.....and waiting, and occasionally watch one.

Another vote for MyMovies App - great filters, and tracking of Watched. It reminds me of how bad my memory is getting when I realise I watched a film less than 6 months ago and still jump at the scary bits.

This sounds like a nightmare! Where would you put a movie like Sunshine, or The Invitation... Movies that change genres half way!? And what about a movie like Spiderman Homecoming? A Sony movie made by Marvel Studios. Or in your case does Marvel just cover all Marvel related stuff (ie Marvel Studio's MCU, Sony's Spiderman, Fox's X-Men)?
Haha, I still keep the Spider-Man's together because they are originally Marvel characters........

I have lots of films that are mixed genres, and they just go together in purchase/release order..

It can be a nightmare to find some, but I'm ok with this :)

What "rules" do the shops use?

I'll admit that I rarely go into CEX and both HMV and Zavvi have left Brighton, so it's kind of difficult to have a definitive reference point.

Maybe there isn't one, you just use the system that best works for you. But yes, it is tricky with prequels that follow a story narratively but are released after the originals, like "X Men: First Class" or "Star Wars" Episodes 1, 2 and 3.

I have had several variations of "order" in my collection. Separated by Genre, Director, etc. I even arranged them by production year, which was good, it helped show how bad some years were, for movies I like.

But I shrunk my collection recently, now it's simple. GoT steelbooks and MCU movies separate, the rest is straightforward A-Z, numbers first.

Films that start with "The" do they go in the T section ?

I tend to ignore that bit so 'The Amazing Spider-man' is under 'A' and 'The Dark Knight Trilogy' is under 'D'

By this logic though where should 'The Ultimate Matrix Collection' go? under 'U' or 'M' :rolleyes:

I'm liking the idea of putting certain franchises together now, namely things like the MCU, Disney and Godzilla films. Then they could be ordered by release date, regardless of whether it's a prequel/sequel/side story. Of course that means I'd have to decide where the Marvel movies get placed (Iron Man starting that series in "M"? LUNACY!), but this still looks like it'll solve more issues than it'll cause.

Last edited:
"The" and "A" are ignored. I'm torn on whether ignoring "A" is a good idea or not, because "A" can sometimes feel like an important word in the title, but it's a rule I'm living with.

I'm liking the idea of putting certain franchises together now, namely things like the MCU and Godzilla. Then they could be ordered by release date, regardless of whether it's a prequel/sequel/side story. Of course that means I'd have to decide where the Marvel movies get placed (Iron Man starting that series in "M"? LUNACY!), but this still looks like it'll solve more issues than it'll cause.

I just have the MCU films at the very end so ironically my standard collection ends with the X-Men films then there is Iron Man/The Incredible Hulk/Iron Man 2 etc

vd42QN.jpg

On the shelf beneath these I have the Gamera/Godzilla/Mothra films then all my Anime releases so its purely a Japanese BD shelf.

I am very strict, numbers before letters, a to z, ignore titles starting with 'the'.

Then when I can't find a particular title I look in the 4K section followed by the box set section or the silly large collectors titles section or on top of the disc cupboards or in any of my childrens bedrooms or where my wife might have decided to put it or where I might have put it on a whim or because I didn't put it away last night so it's still on the av rack or that this week I decided that a title starting with 'the' should be in the 't' section but never and I mean never outside of my house because I do not lend films to anybody.
When you have over 1500 blus then it pays to be very strict except when you're not.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom