• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Rugby on PS3

nope, but rugby 07 is out on PS2 and it's cracking :smashin:

Moogle

Distinguished Member

Moogle

Distinguished Member
would it work on 60gb version ?

UK 60GB models have around 80% backward compatibility success. I personally can't say whether it will work as I have no experience with it. You might want to do a search of the backward compatibility thread that is stickied as there may be information confirming it one way or the other in there.

waring192

Prominent Member
i would really love a rugby game for ther ps3. Was unimpressed with 08 on the ps2. Was just a patch and quade update on 06 really.

I dont think we will see one for a while though, as rugby games are a veyr niche market and EA want money. When the ps3 has more users then we might start to see them rolling out. But not untill the PS3 has sold at least anouther 10K more.

Moogle

Distinguished Member
That's pretty much it. Rugby is a verey niche sport comapred to something like football. With the PS2 having such a large market share it's still possible to make a decent amount of money from a rugby game. The PS3 does not have a big enough user base for it to be viable. I think developers are more likely to release a new rugby game on the PS2 then on the PS3. It's anyone's guess if and when that may change.

Fastolfe

Established Member
gutted that Jonah Lomu (Rage) was only a one off..that's gotta be one of the best sports video games I've ever played:thumbsup:....commentry was a crease up and it was great when the crowd started up with swing low sweet chariot....ahh..simple things

I think it was the same team that then followed with World Championship Rugby...but it just wasn't Lomu

Last edited:

Moogle

Distinguished Member

PlasmaVirgin

Prominent Member
Does anyone think that there is any chance whatsoever of some developer actually creating a rugby game for the PS3?

I realise it's not up there with the most popular sports in the world but it is a professional sport, played and supported by more and more people each year and major tournaments like the Six Nations, Guinness Premiership and Heineken Cup are covered live by the BBC / Sky Sports and get astronomical viewing figures.

Surely there's a demand for this type of game even if it's only every couple of years? Anyone else disappointed that no one has made one or is it just me!? :D

tbeachly

Established Member
A new rugby game would be great on the PS3.

Not sure the big developers see it as a profitable market. Saying that they make MotoGP & Superbikes (thank goodness) and I am not sure that they would have as wide an appeal as rugby.

Uridium

Distinguished Member
EA's rugby series is only updated every 2 yrs. EA state that due to the smaller market for Rugby games it's not commercially viable to update every year. As rugby 2008 was released on PC/PS2 in October 2007 It's unlikely that you'll see one on the PS3 until Rugby 2010 is released I'm guessing around autumn 2010. :(

Mark Botwright

Distinguished Member
EA's rugby series is only updated every 2 yrs. EA state that due to the smaller market for Rugby games it's not commercially viable to update every year. As rugby 2008 was released on PC/PS2 in October 2007 It's unlikely that you'll see one on the PS3 until Rugby 2010 is released I'm guessing around autumn 2010. :(

Surely that would be Autumn 2009. ;)

PlasmaVirgin

Prominent Member
Would be nice if they had something lined up for the PS3 as the console has been out for a quite a while now with no news of a rugby game being developed. Maybe 2009 will see something from EA, although I'd have expected them to have announced something by now if that was the case... :(

AnthonyG

Distinguished Member
Rugby 2008 was very good for the PS2, I am not a big fan of Rugby but tried the game and liked it.

It would be good if Sony at the very least released the rumored emulator to allow you to play PS2 games on the new PS3's.

If not probably Autumn 2009 is when we will see it for the PS3.

waring192

Prominent Member
i cannot wait for one but i dont think ea will be making one as they sold the rights too someone else, or so i read

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom