Rugby on BBC1 HD

BAN5HEE

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Anyone watch the Springbok\Wales games on Saturday? The HD quality was awfull! At some points the focus was even out! :mad:

It alamost matched the quality of the Welsh team

Anyone watch the Springbok\Wales games on Saturday? The HD quality was awfull! At some points the focus was even out! :mad:

Are you sure you were watching HD?

Just because it was on BBC1HD, doesn't necessarily mean it was originated in HD.

It wasn't shown in HD, I commented in another thread.

aaah that would explain it then. But yeah was a very poor game anyway....

Unless it was a tiny letterbox image on the screen then it would of been Upscaled.

Many SD broadcasts that are shown on HD channels have better PQ, that is what was meant by upscaled. The BBC broadcast this at the same awful quality as the SD BBC channel.

The particularly galling thing for me is when the announcer says "now on BBC One and BBC One HD", which for many viewers, (not geeks obviously), will think it must, therefore be in HD.

If they were unsure it might be in HD, when switching channels they will see an on-screen graphic proclaiming BBC One HD, which only further confuses things.

Add to that the fact the channel has had numerous incidents were the EPG failed to correctly identify whether the programme was HD or not, and even some presenters who claimed the show was HD when it wasn't, and you can understand why the public might be confused.

I haven't even got on to when the programme is correctly listed as HD, announced as HD, filmed in HD, broadcast in HD, but still looks, well pretty poor.

john

It's not just me who thinks the quality of the SD picture on the BBCs rugby coverage is rubbish. I am sat here watching the Ireland v NZ game and the quality is atrocious.

Many SD broadcasts that are shown on HD channels have better PQ, that is what was meant by upscaled. The BBC broadcast this at the same awful quality as the SD BBC channel.

Then using the term upscaling is incorrect, All of the SD content is upscaled. I do not know the details but I would of thought it most likely that the up-scaling algorithms used would be the same for all of the SD content.

The poor picture quality is down to the source footage and how it was filmed and nothing to do with the upscaling.

However I do agree that it is very misleading to have all of this upscaled content on the HD channel and not label it as such, at least itvHD have the info in the EPG, whereas the BBC provide no info to differentiate between native HD and upscaled SD content.

I'm not a rugby fan but watched some of the match on Saturday 13th November and noticed that, while the long shots looked fine, almost every close-up was out of focus. If that's the best the Beeb can do, then I'm not surprised that BBC HD is below par.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom