Ruby Review in Widescreen Review

Boris Blank

Prominent Member
Reaction score
The first hands-on review of the Ruby will be released onto the WSR website this coming Friday (21st). See here for details http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=6379377&&#post6379377

You'll need to subscribe to see it though. Online subscriptions are dirt and well worth it for reviews such as this one. http://www.widescreenreview.com/index.php

Price confirmed as being $9,999 by the way :thumbsup: Obviously we need to see this in action but I would think that (specific needs aside) the market for any other home projector at this price and above just died a quick death.

Paul

£5691 :rolleyes:

I'm emigrating!!

it's apparently going to be £8k here.... is that still the case?

I really hope that this pj lives up to the expectations, if it does then your comments on the $10k market could well come to fruition.

Mike,
Vat will have to be added onto the $ to £ conversion so not quite as cheap as may first seem but yes, as far as I am aware the UK price of £8k still stands. Probably won't know the final cost until nearer release.

Word has it that Sony intend flooding the market with these (and the SXRD TV sets) so prices may fall but not anytime soon I would think.
Paul

PaulB said:
Mike,
Vat will have to be added onto the $ to £ conversion so not quite as cheap as may first seem but yes, as far as I am aware the UK price of £8k still stands.
Paul

Thanks for the info

£6686 inc VAT then, still enough for a decent scaler...

Plus that is NOT going to be "Street" price in the USA

No point in going on though, that's the way it is for now, it seems to be changing slowly.Compared to the £8k price of , say a SIM single chipper just a few months ago it's a cause for celebration.

I just have to think much longer and harder about spending £8k rather than £5-6k with the market moving this quickly..

£5330 inc VAT, and it isn't even launched yet :( :( :( :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Maybe that trip to the States isn't such a bad idea after all- I could get my sis Stateside to ship it to an east coast hotel and still save money.

As for warranty- My HS50 took 6-7 weeks to be returned from Pencoed in Wales- Can't see how sending it to the States would take any longer...

The street price in the US is under $8500, also available for around 8500 euros in Europe.

Jeff said:
The street price in the US is under $8500, also available for around 8500 euros in Europe.

What???!!! Hmmm, well I'll be interested to see if the UK price drops yet again - first we were told it was £10k, then we were told it was £8k. Courier delivery from Europe is only about £80 (personally I'd be inclined to pick it up in person!) so thats a £2000 saving plus it will have a proper warranty

Well, at least we have a viable option to importing from the States if the somewhat ridiculously inflated UK price is maintained. Still not clear why the price was so high to begin with!

Well spotted Jeff :thumbsup:
Paul

The EC route seems to be the one, if the price doesn't drop.

The new Crystallio scaler is being imported to the UK for pretty much the same price as the US is getting it for, so it can be done

We dont know what the price is yet in the UK. We may be pleasantly suprised. I am looking forward to this one which may make me finally give up my 8 inch CRT and being 1080p it is a future proof as you get.

I saw the Ruby and the Qualia 004 yesterday in a local av-show. I was especially impressed of the PQ of the Qualia and the Ruby was not too far behind the Qualia in PQ!

MSRP for the Ruby will be 9.994 euros in Finland. The Xenon lamp is said to be good for about 2.500 hours and the lamp will cost about 1.090 euros. Any takers for my Barco :hiya:

It would be nice to see the Ruby before I make up my mind. Does anyone know if it will be featured in any UK av/hifi show in the near future?

It does look very impressive both tecnically and from what Greg says his impressions are. It doesn't seem to enhance image noise either (such as from bad DVD transfers)which is something I'd need to see before I'd consider buying one.

Impressive contrast with the iris on and especially in auto mode, though there is some white compression (crushing) at times apparently when in auto. It's possible to reduce the compression by adjusting/reducing the contrast control, at the expense of overall image brightness and contrast, but with some measuring gear I wouldn't be surprised if this could be done without a great deal of compromise.

Can't wait to see it in action. Gordon? Elliot? :)

I made the mistake of not taping a cushion to my jaw when I saw the Sim2 C3X and I've a feeling I may need to do that with this pj as well.

Gary.

If only the Ruby would be a bit brighter, I´d be getting one.
I want a bright pic when I´m playing Nintendo or watching golf and I want an aprox. 115" greyhawk that can handle a little ambient light.... dissapointingly the Ruby just isn´t bright enough, 1100 calibrated lumens or more would be the ticket.

When will the Ruby be available in the UK or Europe ?

All these lumens figures and foot lambarts confuse me. Just what is a good screen for it. I have a Dalite electrol 92" wide screen for my 8 inch CRT in a totally light controlled room. Will that do???

What lumens is a 8 inch barco?

I think James (crteaman) said they're around 220/250 ANSI lumens, so you will be getting about 6.7Ft Lambets to 7.6Ft Lamberts of reflectance on your screen if it's 16:9. The aim for cinema levels of reflectance is 12Ft Lamberts (a CRT TV will be around 36FL), but quite often a cinema will be closer to 9FL or less. Having a good black level can make the whites look brighter on CRT so the lack of lumens isn't necessarily an issue, especially as the eye will compensate in a darkened room.

Gary

mikeaitch said:
Thanks for the info
£6686 inc VAT then, still enough for a decent scaler...
Apparently, the Ruby does have a proper 1080i-capable per-pixel motion-adaptive and telecine de-interlacing. It's just that the dozey sales people didn't quite realise it when it was launched. Marantz S4 and Sharp 12k have similar capability, so we shouldn't be too surprised. Similar PJs (1080p DLPs?) will have to have it to be competitive. They need some way to justify their much higher prices over the 1080p RPTVs.

Nick

Given that Sony have now added details of the VPL-VW100 and the VPL-HS60 to the UK web site.

How long will it take for these products to be released?

Foghorn

I heard it was December but you are probably talking January before they come in volume. Everything stops for the festive season

UK price likely to be < 5k I just cant believe it :eek: best news all day HDTV UK and stuff
at that price I'll be hanging one from my ceiling :clap:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom