Rubicon 8 or KEF R7 with RX-A6A Yamaha

ED1000

Novice Member
I am considering between two sets of speakers - as it is difficult for me to get a hold on the Rubicon 8 demo unit (listened to the Rubicon 6) I will appreciate any feedback here concerning the sound of each from owners /other experience. i do own a Mission M34i with Yamaha RX665 - both sound flat , not able to get clarity and are the reason for the below upgrade.

AV receiver: Yamaha RX-A6A
Surround Back speakers remain

First Option Rubicon:
Rubicon 8, Center Rubicon Vocal, Sub K14-F, Atmos front 2X Alteco C1.
Second option KEF:
KEF R7, center KEF R2C, 2 X Atmos front Q50A, Sub KC62

thanks!

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Does any local dealer have BOTH Rubicon 6 and Kef R7 in stock for demo? Preferably with the new Yamaha unit so it would be as close to home situation as possible in shop. Rubicon 8 adds third 6,5" driver and bumps up the sensitivity and power handling. I assume your reasoning for going with Rubicon 8 model is due to have fairly large room, correct? And also looking for fuller meatier sound for music listening, correct?

I will let people who have heard the speakers comment them more, but what i will say though is you are building some type of atmos system and you have selected fairly poor subwoofers for cinema purposes. If you didn`t know there is no reason for you to buy those models you listed, there is no matching subwoofers to speaker brand requirement. Even if you would want to go that route i`m little puzzled as you have chosen 14" Dali sub and 2x6,5" tiny Kef sub while having fairly large main speakers, so this doesn´t make much sense. For movies the Kef sub would be very anemic considering you don´t have small room as per your speaker choice. The Dali sub has fairly high port tuning and is overpriced for what it offers and lacks.

You are lucky to have SVS dealer in the Israel which is going to have models you want. What to choose depends of your use (movie/music%), room size with possible openings, how loud you listen, budget of course and any size requirement plus finish preference. Have a look them:

For the Atmos part just a reminder if you plan to put the modules on top your main speakers you would ideally sit between 3-4meters away max. from main listening position and your ceiling type would meet these recommendations by Dolby:

For optimal performance, the ceiling should be flat (not angled or vaulted), with a height between 7.5 and 14 feet (2.3 to 4.3 meters), and made of an acoustically reflective material (drywall, plaster, hardwood, or another rigid, non---sound-absorbing material).

Naturally you can mount those Q50/Alteco C1 also high up on your front wall as "front heights" which in most cases gives even more enjoyable results.

ED1000

Novice Member
thanks for your answer.
main problem is than those high end speakers are rarely available for Demo here.
cannot compare them as done with low end speakers in the same shop.
Therefor and hence my question to the forum.
I agree with your valuable feedback on Atmos. this is indeed my plan. I am siting 3.5 m and will either mount on top or up on the wall.
Sub: I know the Dali is over priced but I am also am aware it is a good product and works well with Rubicon. I was offered B&W 610 sub but after some reading was more confused. my room is 25 sqm and opened on the side to dining etc. of additional 25 but the main living room is indeed 25 m.
I am building a system meant for Stereo use and home cinema.
I wanted only one receiver to cover both and not mess with separate amp for stereo.
Today I have an Omega Audio sub which does the job but will replace it as i believe I can get more.
the "tiny" sub is indeed what I was offered as recommendation by KEF (500 -1000 watt) shop as a new technology that will take over the marker going further but I may choose another regular Sub that makes more sense. ..

ShanePJ

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
In reality, the differences are going to be massive and I really would recommend auditioning them to trust what your ears tell you. You may find that both speaker options don't excite you as much as you may have thought

Both Dali and Kef at this level produce great speakers although for the woofers, you would be better looking at dedicated subwoofer brands like SVS just to name one. With the Yamaha on your list, you should also add other AV Receiver from the likes of Anthem, Arcam, Denon and Marantz to that mix as you might find one of the other brands with either of these combinations excites you more

If you are looking purely at cinema sounds to, also add M&K to your audition list as this brand help spawn surround sound and they know a thing or two about producing great sound speakers

ED1000

Novice Member
I will check on the sub once more.
I like Yamaha as I own it and the review is great hence will remove this out of the equation.
Yes the Rubicon 6 sounded good and clear which I like but was offered to upgrade to the 8 for a fuller sound - and I think this makes sense.
I will listen to the KEF R7 but cannot compare and thus will appreciate some sound experience feedback …

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
thanks for your answer.
main problem is than those high end speakers are rarely available for Demo here.
cannot compare them as done with low end speakers in the same shop.
Therefor and hence my question to the forum.
I agree with your valuable feedback on Atmos. this is indeed my plan. I am siting 3.5 m and will either mount on top or up on the wall.
Sub: I know the Dali is over priced but I am also am aware it is a good product and works well with Rubicon. I was offered B&W 610 sub but after some reading was more confused. my room is 25 sqm and opened on the side to dining etc. of additional 25 but the main living room is indeed 25 m.
I am building a system meant for Stereo use and home cinema.
I wanted only one receiver to cover both and not mess with separate amp for stereo.
Today I have an Omega Audio sub which does the job but will replace it as i believe I can get more.
the "tiny" sub is indeed what I was offered as recommendation by KEF (500 -1000 watt) shop as a new technology that will take over the marker going further but I may choose another regular Sub that makes more sense. ..

You don´t necessarily need to hear the specific model so it would help if you can listen even the Kef R3 or R5 as you know R7 adds better low end and overall fuller sound. You just need to listen some R serie to get idea where they stand vs. Dalis. Try to use similar av-receiver you going to buy in the demo when you listen any of these speakers. Yamaha RX-A6A or A8A ideally or Marantz SR8015 / Denon X6700H.

Dealers are good talking with new technology and high watts, but all those are meaningless if the subwoofer has small physical size as KC62 isn´t doing much of anything in your room (movies). Waste of money.

You need to consider the whole space so 25+25sqm = 50sqm. We can promise you that neither the KC62 or B&W 610 won`t give you the feeling you are looking for with latest blockbuster movies!

I have linked you SVS direct site in Israel. SVS is probably most known subwoofer manufacturer in the world. You get much better overall bang for buck over the ones you mentioned including build quality, performance, support/service and warranty. If you can accept larger box/cylinder and mostly use subwoofer with movies i would highly consider these models which would all be upgrade from Dali K14 aswell. Buy subwoofer from company that has specialized building them 20years like SVS and you get your moneys worth plus the experience with latest blockbuster flicks you are dreaming of.

ED1000

Novice Member
Thanks- as said the sub might change though the Dali is good but expensive….SVS is optional such as SB3000.
Regarding Dali vs Kef? Any feedback?

ED1000

Novice Member
You don´t necessarily need to hear the specific model so it would help if you can listen even the Kef R3 or R5 as you know R7 adds better low end and overall fuller sound. You just need to listen some R serie to get idea where they stand vs. Dalis. Try to use similar av-receiver you going to buy in the demo when you listen any of these speakers. Yamaha RX-A6A or A8A ideally or Marantz SR8015 / Denon X6700H.

Dealers are good talking with new technology and high watts, but all those are meaningless if the subwoofer has small physical size as KC62 isn´t doing much of anything in your room (movies). Waste of money.

You need to consider the whole space so 25+25sqm = 50sqm. We can promise you that neither the KC62 or B&W 610 won`t give you the feeling you are looking for with latest blockbuster movies!

I have linked you SVS direct site in Israel. SVS is probably most known subwoofer manufacturer in the world. You get much better overall bang for buck over the ones you mentioned including build quality, performance, support/service and warranty. If you can accept larger box/cylinder and mostly use subwoofer with movies i would highly consider these models which would all be upgrade from Dali K14 aswell. Buy subwoofer from company that has specialized building them 20years like SVS and you get your moneys worth plus the experience with latest blockbuster flicks you are dreaming of.

I listened today to the SB-3000 . it sounds nice. also listened to a ported subs is was too big and I need white. moreover stereo is important for me. I will therefor either go for that one or the K14-F. is the Dali ported or sealed? one thing I can say is that Dali looks nicer in white color but both are OK.
I still did not get to see any report comparing both subs. (price is similar).

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
I listened today to the SB-3000 . it sounds nice. also listened to a ported subs is was too big and I need white. moreover stereo is important for me. I will therefor either go for that one or the K14-F. is the Dali ported or sealed? one thing I can say is that Dali looks nicer in white color but both are OK.
I still did not get to see any report comparing both subs. (price is similar).

Dali is ported and with fairly high port tuning so it`s bit questionable for movies even if it has 14" driver due to dropping fairly steeply below 30hz and especially knowing it`s not cheap! Most people would take the SB3000 in a heart beat or two SB2000 Pro`s (white) optimally placed over K14F.

SVS has better support and longer warranty also. It is highly praised everywhere who has heard it. Of course it has to work hard in your room as it`s so large, but definitely that one over the Dali!

svs_sb3000_subwoofer_1615055880_2765cffe_progressive.jpg

Last edited:

ED1000

Novice Member
I have seen very good feedbacks on the Dali specific sub as well. for sure the SVS has good PR!
anyone with a Dali K14-F who can add some valuable info? BTW two subs are not an option for me.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom