1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rubbish picture quality?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by RussJ, Jan 6, 2004.

1. RussJ

RussJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I'm thinking of buying a new 32" telly with a budget of about a grand and have narrowed it down to the usual suspects - Panny, Philips and Loewe - thanks to the good advice on this forum.
    I dragged the missus down to John Lewis at the weekend to have a first look and I have to say we were both distinctly underwhelmed by picture quality of all the sets.
    I appreciate that the distributed feed isn't going to show them off at their best but all seemed to suffer a sort of "pixillation" around movement. This didn't seem to happen with the cheaper sets on display.
    Is this a feature of 100 Hz TV's and will I always get this when viewing analogue stations?
    I have a freeview box and live in a high strength area (almost line of sight to Tacolneston transmitter) so I can get good quality digital signals and I also have a Pan E60 recorder.
    Would appreciate any advice - it could be an expensive mistake!

2. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,305
    Do whatever it takes to get a proper quality source connected to the tv- a DVD of any type would be a good start. Most stores pipe through a ropey rf feed to all the sets, giving the picture that you see. You may be pleasantly suprised.
    I'll also add that the Alders in Oxford got brownie points from me as they had made something approaching an effort to secure a good picture for all the sets

3. ELV

ELV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    When i was testing 36" tv's a few years ago i took my dvd player into JL to test the sets with a few of my fav films, The Thin Red Line etc, It's the only way to compare them really,they even dimmed the lights for me, the biggest shock though was the amount of people that suddenly stopped and started marvelling at the picture quality. In the end I bought the tv from S&V a PHILIPS 369525C on the basis of that test and am very happy with it.The comments about the 100hz, in my opinion it's a trade off you get slight haloing effect on sports but the plus point like stable picture far outweigh these.100hz has to be done right or it can make things worse imo, as i have said try the sets with a descent source and try to get a footy match or something simillar and see what the results are. I would'nt go back to 50hz.Oh and i would try the DNR options aswell as turning them off can greatly improve the picture.
    P.S I think more people watched The Thin Red Line that day than went to see it at the cinema.

Ta Very Much

4. GagHalfrunt

GagHalfrunt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The last time I went to Comet I was appalled by the picture quality from TVs I know are good.

I'm sure that these video splitter things that they use seriously suck.

Get them to connect a DVD Player directly (using RGB) if you want decent quality. This will give you a proper test.

5. whitcat

whitcat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I find that 100Hz TVs seem to show up any imperfections from a weak signal so only use digital sources with mine - I haven't bothered to tune the analogue stations in.

Before buying, I wasn't too impressed with ropey analogue feeds. In one shop I asked for a Sky Digital feed to be temporarily changed to 16:9 but the shop assistant was reluctant to get rid of the hideous stretchyvision on the £1000 sets, his reason being that the 14" portables wouldn't look as good.

I would agree to taking the DVD player with any favourite films to the store.

You could take the Freeview box along too - if the TVs have an aerial feed and the store's area can get Freeview. I did this to get a realistic idea of how day-to-day TV viewing would appear, to see how the TV would perform with digital TV artefacts, cope with aspect ratios, etc.

If it's the weekend and the store is busy, they may not be too keen with you fiddling about. I was recommended to go in on a weekday morning but found weekday evenings after work quiet enough and some staff quite helpful when it's not busy.

James

6. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    What is worrying is when my 6 year old daughter notices how bad TVs are!:eek: