1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rubbish NTL picture

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by handsy, Jun 21, 2005.

1. handsy

handsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Tried everything, e.g. checking STB settings for RGB, adjusting settings on TV, rebooting STB...still very 'noisy' picture.

My new Samsung LE32R41B is showing off the crap picture from NTL for sure. Should I call NTL CS and moan, or try changing SCART lead from STB to TV ? Current SCART is unbranded, gold-plated jobbie...

Any help really appreciated :)

2. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    A new scart cable may help to some degree but there is an element of rubbish in rubbish out.

Until just over a month ago I had NTL too and having now moved I was able to go to Sky - using the same scart cable there was a massive improvement in picture quality (which has increased further since I put a sky+ box in and now use s-video into my AVR - my TV has known issues with RGB signals)

It has previously been said that NTL use a lower bandwidth to other suppliers like Sky and therefore it is not surprising the picture quality is lower. Phoning the Cust Serv department didnt do me any good - they cant do anything about it.

The one suggestion I would have is to try looking at a channel like BBC News 24 as this tends to have one of the better picture qualities (still not amazing but much better than the likes of sci-fi or such) If you still get the same amount of noise then it may suggest that there is something that can be done - if it does show an improvement then it is probably just a case of NTL not giving a quality product (IMO)

3. pcookie

pcookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I've had NTL for about 5 years and recently changed to the Samsung box. Much more reliable in terms of freezing, crashing etc, but the picture on some channels is noticably worse with blocking and picture artifacts. And that's visible on my lowly 28"Philips! Roll on getting my SonyHX910 with freeview. NTL's days are numbered.

cookie

4. handsy

handsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Just had some fab advice from a guy at work who is the guru for anything Digital TV.

His opinion on LCD TVs showing poor quality on signal, is that they come packed with features such as :

o Dynamic Contrast
    o Dynamic Brightness
    o Digital Noise Reduction

...which add additional (unnecessary) processing to an already compressed signal.
    Turn 'em off, turn 'em all off !

I did, and I am impressed by the difference. I now control the PQ by adjusting just brightness, contrast, and colour.

Try it yourselves :)

5. degringo

degringo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    may i suggest a visit to www.nthell.co.uk someone on there should be able to help. ntl Engineers frequent that forum