• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Rubbish cinema sound

JamesP1701

Prominent Member
Just to vent really!

Have just got back from watching Captain Marvel at the Showcase in Nottingham. This marks the third time I've had to complain about the sound quality - quiet, unbalanced and as if someone had put a muffle filter on.

Now I know I'm a bit of a cinema fan, but it can't be right that my very average set up at home sounds way better than the local cinema.

It frustrates me more than anything as it seems the cinema is doing a real disservice to the filmmakers and their original vision.

What do other people make of it?

SteveAWOL

Distinguished Member
Yet another reason I don’t mind paying a fiver uplift to watch blockbusters in IMAX, as studios do seem to take more care producing the IMAX version of their films than likes of Dolby Atmos.

Probably also helps that IMAX use Audyssey to check the speakers in their auditoriums on a daily basis, doubt the other screens get any regular checkups judging by how inconsistent the presentations can be.

lucasisking

Distinguished Member
Just to vent really!

Have just got back from watching Captain Marvel at the Showcase in Nottingham. This marks the third time I've had to complain about the sound quality - quiet, unbalanced and as if someone had put a muffle filter on.

Now I know I'm a bit of a cinema fan, but it can't be right that my very average set up at home sounds way better than the local cinema.

It frustrates me more than anything as it seems the cinema is doing a real disservice to the filmmakers and their original vision.

What do other people make of it?

I felt the same about Fighting with My Family; just dreadfully anaemic sound. It may have been on one of the smaller screens though, and not one of the two that are outfitted with Dolby sound systems.

IMAX is on another level (as is, I understand, the Xplus Dolby theatres) but getting to one is just cost prohibitive for me due to where I am.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom