Rubbish black levels on PS3 with Panasonic 32"

charles bronson

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a UK PS3 running on a 32" Panasonic TX32LXD600.
I have tried going through all the settings on the PS3 and HDTV, but I just can't get a decent black level for watching Blu Ray or DVD.

I want the picture to have clarity and sharpness, but the picture is so light that you miss all this detail in dark scenes.

Can anyone tell me any obvious settings I might be missing on the PS3? Because watching films through my xbox 360 have very good black levels.

(I am using HDMI)

Black levels on my KDLW2000 are absolutely fine. But then I have used a set-up disk. You may want to run a digital calibration disk through your PS3 yourself to get the correct levels. What looks good to ones own eyes can in fact be completely different to how the image is supposed to look. It can make all the difference.

I get fantastic blacks on my M87, especially on the "HDMI Black level - low" option, maybe your TV has something similar?

Good blacks on a Panasonic th42px70 :thumbsup:

I dunno what it could be.. have you set HDMI RGB to full and RGB in the output settings. I have to say i get good blacks on my LG.

Just as an update to this, it is now a year later and I still have the same problem. The black levels are terrible.
Trying to watch the Godfather on blu ray is depressing as the blacks are all grey and I know it should look much better than this.

Tried fiddling with the backlight but it didn't help.

What setting do owners here have their backlight on (and general TV and PS3 settings)?

Cheers

I do not own a Panny LCD but have calibrated both my mother and brother in laws LCDs.

The backlight should be set as low as possible, contrast about 75% and brightness about 50%. Colour should be adjusted to give realistic skin tones and everything else set to OFF (i.e. Sharpeness, NR, Black level enhancer, 3D colour, advanced live action cinema sport colour control enhancer 2!!!! . Leave them all off!!!)

On the PS3 set the RGB to limited, and everything else to automatic.

Then report back. If it still looks grey then perhaps you have either a faulty PS3 or TV.

I do not own a Panny LCD but have calibrated both my mother and brother in laws LCDs.

The backlight should be set as low as possible, contrast about 75% and brightness about 50%. Colour should be adjusted to give realistic skin tones and everything else set to OFF (i.e. Sharpeness, NR, Black level enhancer, 3D colour, advanced live action cinema sport colour control enhancer 2!!!! . Leave them all off!!!)

On the PS3 set the RGB to limited, and everything else to automatic.

Then report back. If it still looks grey then perhaps you have either a faulty PS3 or TV.

Thank you very much. I will try this and will report back

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom