Ruark Prologues - bass problem

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by deang, Feb 7, 2002.

1. deang

deang

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got Ruark Prologue 1 fronts in my HC setup, with a Denon 1602 amp and DV4100OSE DVD player. When I first set the system up, I got a nasty overbearing bass drone from the Ruarks, particularly with some music CD's. I tried everything; speaker positioning, mass damping, cables to no avail. I then looked at the amp setting and reset the fronts from Large to Small and it improved no end. Although I'm a lot happier with the sound, I'm still concerned that I bought what I considered to be 'large' front floor standers (42hz - 22khz FR) but they cant handle the bass like they should.

Any ideas?

:confused:

2. spikeyboyo

spikeyboyo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How long have your speakers been running ??? they do require at least 30 hours run in time. It does say in the box the speakers came in (well it did mine) that the speakers require at least 30 hours run in time.

I just left mine playing at medium volume with MTV for a couple of days whilst at work.

I bought mine about 1 1/2 months ago and there excellent - base nice and tight, no booming and plenty of it as well which is nice as i can now turn off the sub for music (which did cause some boom).

There was another guy on here who replied to my post when i was asking about these speakers prior to buying who said hed bought a pair (prulude) and thought he'd made a big big mistake at first, but once they had run in he was more than happy.

If they have been run in the other option you could try putting 1 ltr of Kiln dried sand in the bases (theres a little plastic cap that pops off the back) make sure its kiln dried sand though.

What size room do you have them in? also were u using the sub as well, if so try turning the sub off - set amp to direct mode and then you can turn the sub off pressing select on the remote and scrolling through until u come to the sub and then just lower it until it turns off - this will only turn the sub off in direct mode. Although it might sound silly as well but you do have the speaker in phase with all the others dont you ? especially the sub

Id love to hear how you get on as im soooo impressed with these speakers, especially as id been looking at them for over a year and then got em for half price at sevenoaks :) so if you want you can email me direct at: [email protected]

Spike

3. deang

deang

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Spike - thanks for the reply to my question.

I've had the speakers since November last year - yep mine we're half price at Sevenoaks too!! I've played them quite a bit - at least 5 hours a week so I guess they're run in by now.

The room I have is about 12ft by 25ft so it's a bit tunnel like, but with soft furnishings and the drone doesn't change wherever you / the speakers are, so I'm sure it's not the room.
    Are you running yours from an AV receiver? If so, are your's set to large or small? This seemed to make all the difference. I've already put some mass loading (soundbytes) in the bottoms of the speakers to stabilise / damp them a bit (about 1.5 ltrs in each)

When set to large, the speakers suffer from the over-bass in stereo mode without the sub on, so I don't think it's anything to do with that. They're also bi-wired with OK cable (Mountain Snow atlas 1).

thx

4. spikeyboyo

spikeyboyo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im running mine with an AV amp the Denon AVR-3300 - my room is about 14ft x 14ft - i originally had them set as small but then changed them to large as i prefer the sound that way - but i dont get any bass drone.

Im at a loss as to what could be causing it :(

Spike

5. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Borrow another cable and try it, just to see what happens, forget bi-wiring for the test...

6. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No such problems with mine set to large. I find them brilliant. Have you got really thick cables, like the ones that were fashionable 10 years ago? Try a thinner one if so, QED silver or something. At the end of the day it may be down to the geography of your room and if it sounds better on small then use that. No rules, just what sounds good and I'm sure they kick the living crud out of most settups.

S

PS: I think I'm the guy spikey is talking about. They should be run in by now.

7. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a quick thought although I'm sure you have considered this. I think the prologues (mine are preludes) are rear ported. This means they need to be 12" off the wall or you will get boomy bass problems. Check for a little hole in the back of the speaker.

S

8. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also, if they are rear ported, they should come with a foam plug to use if you think you have too much bass, or if it is not far enough from the rear wall...