Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Ruark Prleude problems

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by paiger, Dec 13, 2002.

1. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just took delivery of a pair of second-hand Ruark Prelude R's. They are in mint condition generally but I have to say I am dissapointed as they sound muddy and coloured compared to the matching Epilogues I already have. I seem to be lacking detail somehow.

When I got them the terminal plates were missing as they have obviously been bi-wired. I solved this by stripping an extra 3cm off the speaker cable and running it through both terminals. Is this a bad idea and if so what should I do?

Is it possible that the tweeters are damaged in some way? The seller seemed a sensible chap but who knows? I also figured that my sony 1080 may not be running them as well as the Epilogues but doubt this.

Any ideas? I'm also wondering if they are actually run in properly as my Epilogues sounded seriously naff for a week or so when I got them.

S

2. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Paiger - when I first bought my Preludes I had a similar experience, the sound was nowhere near what I'd heard at demo or was expecting.

Turns out the drivers were fine, it was the internal bracing that was at fault. One way you can check if this might be the problem is if the front speaker grilles fall off easily. If they do, it means the cabinet isn't holding together as tightly as it should. You can also rap your knuckles on the cabinet, if it doesn't provide a dull, damped sound and is more 'echoey' then the same problem has occured.

Ruark exchanged my set for a new pair and were incredibly quick to offer apologies and a no questions asked swop-out.

I was told by their MD in a personal letter than they had experienced problems with a batch of glue used by their cabinet makers... could be that the ones you just bought have been transported about a bit more than the norm and the bracing has come loose.

Who knows, you did get them very cheap... maybe the seller knew they were shot?

3. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Feel better now. I noticed as I was playing that they were gradually getting better but I thought it might be just me. So, while I was out on a job I left them on with VH1 playing at reasonable levels.

Just got back in to find that they have sorted themselves and sound great! Kick drums in particular are so much better than with the epilogues. I still have a bit of looseness in the bass but I have yet to fit the spikes and I have wooden floors which makes it worse. All the colouration in the upper mid has cleared now and clarity has returned.

I can only assume that they have spent the last 24 hours in a cold truck and took time to acclimatise to my living room.

They look great though and I'm well chuffed. I just hate that sinking feeling you sometimes get when you wait for ages for something, finally find it and then it dissapoints. I knew they were good because I demoed the whole range a year ago when I got the rears and centre.

Phew. Off to order some decent cables now to replace the Cable Talk 3.1 I have had for years. Something a little thinner I think with banana plugs and as the biwire plates are missing I may as well get a biwire cable, not convinced it will add anything to the experience but it will solve one problem.

S

4. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Of course, it depends mainly on your source components, but with my Preludes, I went through about 6 cable solutions before finally sticking with Nordost Superflatline Gold Mk II. Excellent speed and clarity. Certainly worth a try if you can.

Glad your Preludes are OK though :)

5. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers I'll check them out. Long time since I bought speaker cables so no idea what I'm looking for. May try to borrow some tomorrow. The Preludes are getting better all the time. Backed off the bass a bit as I had it cranked for the epilogues and it's cured a lot of the boominess.

S

6. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow, still getting better. Listening to a few CD's and there's stuff I have never heard before. How strange. I can only think it was a temperature related problem or maybe they have been in the box for weeks in a cold, damp place. Dunno.

I love 'em. Off to try some movies now.

S

7. Sessen Ryu

Sessen Ryu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    I brought some Ruark Prologues and the bridge plates were missing. After much research I decided to single wire them (concluded it wasn't worth the extra expense unless bi-amping) - so I made a quick call to Ruark and they sent me some brand new bridges free of charge - arrived next day. Great customer service.

Incidently, I use Silver Anniversary with Airlock banana plugs and am extremely happy with the combination. Brought from hi-fi junkies and saved myself well over sixty odd quid high street stores such as Sevenoaks & Audio T (free delivery also). They cut the desired lengths and fitted the airlocks on FOC.

8. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I figure I may as well biwire them. I only need a couple of 2.5m lengths so it's not going to be that much more. Trying some cables next week.

S