Ruark Passive cross over not working. Please help a new guy.

empty123

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Please be gentle, I’m new on the forum.
I’ve a pair of Ruark Prologue II which have been great. Until a house move, when they sat there untouched for over a year.
One of the tweeters stopped working.
I took it to my local AV shop where they replaced the tweeters but to no avail.

I’ve nothing to lose, so recently gained access to the passive crossover. I have a multimeter but no idea what to do, not electrically minded!

Help!

Attachments

• FEACBA16-2145-4942-B251-9245D4A05DDC.png
    FEACBA16-2145-4942-B251-9245D4A05DDC.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 45
Hi all,
Please be gentle, I’m new on the forum.
I’ve a pair of Ruark Prologue II which have been great. Until a house move, when they sat there untouched for over a year.
One of the tweeters stopped working.
I took it to my local AV shop where they replaced the tweeters but to no avail.

I’ve nothing to lose, so recently gained access to the passive crossover. I have a multimeter but no idea what to do, not electrically minded!

Help!
Personally i would contact Wilmslow Audio or Falcon Acoustics to get a service or crossover rebuild. They have the right tools and stuff to check a crossover properly.. its not just a capacitor or 2 and a resistor here and there that you can check.. there are inductors there too.

Thanks.

I’ve just done a continuity check. It’s the yellow thing!? Capacitor?! Anyone got a clue if you can get a replacement? Or how to interpret the numbers on the front?!

Attachments

• D56DA315-C891-46CC-9A44-BAB0CB170573.png
    D56DA315-C891-46CC-9A44-BAB0CB170573.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 39
Thanks.

I’ve just done a continuity check. It’s the yellow thing!? Capacitor?! Anyone got a clue if you can get a replacement? Or how to interpret the numbers on the front?!
Yeap.. Wilmslow or Falcon Acoustics stock all that stuff :)

Check the drive units first. You should see a resistance of about 6-10 Ohms.
The capacitors will measure open circuit, as they only conduct AC above a certain frequency and you meter will use DC to carry out the test.

Capacitors of that type rarely fail, but they can age and change value. Tweeters can "blow", but surely the hifi shop will have checked this when they fitted the new one?

Have you checked the simple stuff first? Are the linking bars in place and tight?

If the tweeters were of a different brand and model, its likely the crossover would have to be adjusted also.

I have the same speakers and I am looking to upgrade the crossovers and came across your post.

The cap looks to be a 6.8uf 160v, you could grab a couple of something like clarity caps csa 6.8uf 250vdc or if you want to go cheaper something like dayton audio.

I would replace both speaker caps to keep them the same.

Before you replace anything though I would bypass the crossover and make sure all the drivers are working.

You can just run some speaker wire from your amp and touch them against the pos/neg on each driver to make sure it works.

If you are going to the effort to replace I am looking to replace the yellow cap and the blue cap at the bottom with clarity caps and the white sandcast resistors with mundorf mresist supremes but I don't know the values yet.

The inductors are already aircore so will leave them alone.

If the tweeters were of a different brand and model, its likely the crossover would have to be adjusted also.

They probably replaced like for like they are morel mdt39 units which you can still purchase from a few places.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom