1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ruark Eilogue R

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by paiger, May 14, 2001.

1. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone got any experience of this one as a main? I am looking to get some with a Dialogue R as a new centre to replace my old kit. As I already have pretty good rears I would like to run the epilogues as mains for a while till I have saved up for some Ruark floorstanders.

Any comments welcome.

S

2. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,403
    Had Dialogue Ones and am very pleased with them. Ruarks are good speakers which aren't as well known as they should be. Reviews like the latest in What Video where the Prelude / Dialoge and Epilogue system beat systems from lots of leading manufacturers will help bring them to people's attention.

3. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, read that. Like the B&W as well but the I think the ruarks are a bit more retro. I have found a review of epilogues as mains and they say they are pretty good. Sevenoaks sell them as well.

4. Stupot43

Stupot43

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Hi Steve,
    Sorry, can`t help you as regards the epilogues but I have been running Prologue One `R`s and a Dialogue One R now for over 12 months.They are very, very good speakers. Dissapointed with them at first, but you must give them a good running in period before you judge them and I suspect that would be the same for the Epilogues. Now I have upgraded the rest of my kit (Arcam 10 amp with DAVE module/Arcam 10p 3channel power amp/Arcam 9p power amp)they really do "sing". They are very articulate speakers,do not expect bone crunching bass but what bass there is -and there is some- is nice and tight. They can sound a bit lean in the midrange but the top end is sweet.What reports I have seen about the Epilogues have been good - but if you have a big room I suggest you look at other options,and if you like headbanging music they may not suit. But if your leanings are towards accoustic music and vocals they are superb.I use the Prologues with a Rel Strata III sub - but only for movies. Ultimately you MUST audition them and have a home demo to be absolutly sure. Hope this has been of some help.

5. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thamks for the comments. I have them now and am impressed. I too was very dissapointed when I first got them but they get better and better. Bass control is awesome for a compact and acoustic music is superbly done. They will do for now. I am considering getting Prelude R's for mains. I hear they are front ported and I need to site them close to the back wall. How do you prologues respond to positioning?

You are right about headbanging as well, it comes out as a complet mess. Shame really but I think I'd rather have perfect Eva Cassidy and compromise a bit on Ozzy and Motorhead.

Regards

Steve

6. Stupot43

Stupot43

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Hi Steve,
    Unfortunately I haven`t much room to play about with for different positions. As my room is fairly narrow I had to go for the Prologues because they are magnetically shielded whereas the Preludes are not - unless they have changed the spec. As it is the Prologues are about 14" from the back wall and about 12" from the side wall and slightly toed in to face the listening position. I am now considering upgrading my rear speakers which at the moment are Polk M3MkII. Not sure whether to go for the Epilogues to make a total Ruark system or possibly go for Kef TDM 34`s or of that ilk.

Another lover of Eva Cassidy - what a talent.

7. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would certainly recommend the ruarks, they are good enough for mains. I have kef cresta rears at the mo and to be honest they are junk. Cheap though I spose. As for shielding, I think my mains would be far enough away from the tv to not cause any problems.

I think it's a real shame that Eva didn't live long enough to get proper recognition. I would love to have a top quality recording of some of her work.

Steve