Ruark crap service

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by rigman, Mar 21, 2003.

1. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Have got a pair of Ruark Solstice speakers (£4600 retail). Over the past wee while the left speaker has developed a hiss on the voice coil (dome). Since I bought them (20 months ago) I have moved up to Scotland. Well thats okay I thought 5 year warranty should sort it, return to base and all that.

I phoned them up and they suggested I take them to alocal hifi dealer and I quote "it should not cost that much to fix you will only have to pay them for their time" When I complained and said it looks like the warranty is not worth the paper it is written on they suggested "removing the voice coil and sending it back to them" Do they just unplug then I said? No they said you will have to de-solder it and if you damage the surrounding finish getting it out just get something of the same colour and rub over it

So basically due to their lack of interest I have had to very carefully remove the voice coil and send it back to them at my own expense and then when I get a replacement resolder it back on.

Last time I ever buy a pair of Ruarks :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

Darren

2. narabdela

narabdela

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    That's bloody ridiculous. Did you not consider applying
    some legal pressure?

:mad: :mad:

3. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    rigman....I spoke to Ruark this morning on your behalf,and the reply was that the guarantee covers replacement of blown drive units,but NOT return of the units to Ruark themselves.
    They also said that normally,servicing/replacement would be done FOC by your original dealer,but since you have now moved,the cheapest course of actionwas to simply remove the unit and send it to them for replacement.

There certainly seemd to be genuine sympathy for your complaint,and willingness to try and minimise costs.

The gentleman I spoke to is called Rob,and he would be happy to speak to you again if you wish....he does remember your call,and did add that you seemed reasonably content with the arrangements as stated.

4. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,474
    I personally know Rob and can vouch that he's a decent guy.
    It's a bit unfair to say one thing to Ruark and then another on here.

5. mattheu

mattheu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    'It's a bit unfair to say one thing to Ruark and then another on here.'

Thays not entirely fair either, if I'd paid so much for a pair of speakers and had a less than grovling help after 20 months, I'd feel none plused and might take a passive tone with the manufacturer, then later feel agreived and post so. The charge incurred at the new dealer should be cover under warrantee, it seems all a bit poor show no matter how 'nice ' a guy he is.

6. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to hear of your problems but I feel I have to say that when I bought my Ruark Preludes one of them had had the internal bracing come loose and was sounding very off colour... anyway, I was told to take the pair back to my dealer.

Next thing I know I've had a phone call and email from Ruark being very apologetic and a brand new, matched pair of Preludes were delivered to my doorstep.

I understand that not all cases will be the same, but in my case they acted superbly and speedily.

7. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Well those who has expressed sympathy thanks for that.

Alexs2

please do not take anything on yourself for my behalf again. Why would you be straight on the phone to them bubbling me for starting this thread. Do you have some links with them?
    Please do not PM me saying I have broken the rules. If you have anything at all to say then post it on here. I am not interested otherwise.

The account I posted is correct. I phoned 3 times expresing my reluctance to undertake the task of having to remove the unit and I said I would willingly pay for sending the top half of the speaker back (the speaker is in two halfs). I was asked to keeping attempting to remove the unit which I obviously did in the end.

Yes Rob does seem to be a nice guy. My complaint was when I was told to take it local and pay for repairs. Then having to dismantle it myself, not in what manner I was spoken to.

I phoned them earlier and my drive unit has arrived and will be looked at on Monday. Hopefully it will be replaced or repaired and returned very soon.

Spectre did you even read my post or just alexs2's

If I have broken a rule then please feel free to delete this thread

Darren

8. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    Thank you for your feedback rigman.

I have NO links with Ruark(or ANY other company for that matter),and said that your comments were somewhat close to Rule 2,in a PM which you have chosen to air here.

I should also add that the full details of your calls listed in your second post were not in the first.

My intention was to help if possible,not to elicit hints of links to commercial concerns.

My input to this thread is thus complete...please address any further complaints to the moderator feedback thread.

9. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    alexs2

I ask again

Why would you take it on yourself to phone Ruark as you say "on my behalf" if it was not to stir the ****?

Due to this I see either of two things happening

1.. Ruark take the hump and I get my faulty one back which will cause me more grief. or
    2 .. Ruark give me an excellent service from now on and redeem themselves by getting a new or fully working unit back to me with their compliments.

Either way I will update as to what happens. Hopefully it will be the latter.

Believe it or not I am considered by all that know me to be a nice guy that is probably why Rob thought I was okay with the suggestions (I did not start to rant) but I ask anyone here....

If you had a fault with something which costs a lot of money and is under warranty, would you be happy to be told by the manufacturer to take it to someone else and pay them for their time?

I rest my case

Darren

10. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    As before,I thank you for your reply....I have nothing further to add other than to reiterate a genuine wish to help if at all possible,and certainly have no wish as you put it,"to stir".

It's a pity this has been taken the wrong way...I certainly cannot imagine a company as reputable as Ruark simply giving you a faulty unit back.

11. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    rigman, he was trying to help you :rolleyes: for - very probably - the last time.

Mike.

12. nutcase_1uk

nutcase_1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Presumedly you purchased the speakers from an authorised dealer and returned the warranty card within the specified time? Looking at the guarantee for my Vita 100's, it states that both parts and labour are included in the 5 year warranty.

Also that to claim the faulty speakers should be returned either to Ruark, the original dealer or any other authorised dealer. It does say shipping is at the cost of the owner.

Does your guarantee say the same?

13. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,474
    I choose NOT.

14. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +186
    Bitching aside, he has received pretty poor service and i'd be narked if I received the same from a reputable company :thumbsdow

15. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    tomson

thanks for that you obviously are among the minority of people that can understand what I have written.

Flimber

how do you figure that? Axexs2 still has not answered my question and just says he has nothing further to add. He would say that as he is backed into a corner.
    You did not get the PM which was a bit stronger than the reply he posted here.

Alexs2

Please explain how your actions could have possibly have helped?
    I am at a total loss

Spectre

Thanks for that opinion. You run this forum yet you stoop so low as to insult me publically. Is that really the right conduct of someone in your position?

Well thats me with a ban I suppose

Just like to say thanks to all those people that I have chatted with in the past and all the help and advice I have had. I hope any advice and opinions have helped thosse whose threads I have contributed to.

Darren

16. nutcase_1uk

nutcase_1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Obviously I'm to be ignored here? Trying to be impartial and find a solution. Never mind...

17. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    To rigman,I am genuinely sorry that this has caused so much offense.....as I said before,that was not the intention.

In a last comment I will say that I rang Ruark on the basis of rigman's complaint,looking to see if their guarantee might have some way of covering all the costs incurred.
    I,and many friends have previously found them to be very helpful,and was quite surprised to see a serious complaint regarding them.

A 5 year drive unit guarantee is quite generous,even if postal costs may be incurred,although having to pay for a dealer's costs may rankle.

The PM,which rigman is of course free to publish,only reminded him about the forum rules,and was hardly strongly worded in respect of some of the things written.

There is one other consideration,in trying to move this back on topic,and that is that one or more components in the crossover may be responsible for the hiss...perhaps an out of spec resistor or a dry joint.

18. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,474
    You started it with your 'did you even read my post' insult.
    I'm not unsympathetic. If I'd spent a lot of money on some speakers (I infer from the choice of words that you got them for less than £4,600 but they must still have cost a lot), I'd expect a 5 year parts and labour warranty.
    I have issue with you because alexs2 called Ruark to try and sort out the problem for you. This itself was wrong IMO as it's interfering in your business. His motives, however, I believe were genuine and rather than appreciate this you repeatedly insist on giving the guy a hard time.
    Perhaps a better response might have been something like 'Appreciate the intention but I'd rather you didn't interfere as I'm quite capable of resolving the problem myself' and leaving it at that.
    I think that in the end if you had taken the speakers to a local Ruark dealer, the issue might have been resolved much less painfully and without the need for you to fire up the soldering iron (which is rediculous IMO).

19. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Alexs2

due to your last message and that a few people who obviously know you better than I do are willing to speak in your defence I am willing to accept that you had my best interests at heart.

I will also say sorry to you for my accusations and for having a go at you.
    I think Spectre is right suggesting the response that I should have written.

Thanks for your last suggestion regarding the fault. I did think of that and that was one of the reasons I wanted to return the whole top unit rather than just the driver. If they find no fault with the driver then I will have to pay to ship it all back to them again so end up paying twice for the postage. When I suggested it may be that to Rob he said it was extremely unlikely to be the electronics. Maybe they have encountered this problem in the past with other Solstice speakers.

Spectre

My snap at you was due to you saying it was unfair for me to say one thing on here and another thing to Ruark. I did not rant at Ruark when it was suggested I take it somehwere and pay for repairs and maybe I should have blown a gasket but with resolve I ended up getting some service although I was still not happy with having to dismantle my speaker myself. Lots of people post their experiences on here. I probably should have known better and just kept my mouth (keyboard) closed.

I judge companies by their service. Companies like Musical Fidelity and Lexicon have been excellent when I needed them. I pay hi end prices for my gear and I should get nothing less than hi end service if there is a problem.

I did not pay the full £4600 as they were the dealers demo pair. When I auditioned them at home they sounded to me anyway as good as a pair of Nautilus 802's which I had demoed the previous month and the decision to buy was a no brainer. The final price was no far short though but to me it was a bargain as I was not having to spend £6000 for the 802's.

Well thanks for not banning me I enjoy this forum very much but I will be very careful with what I post in future.

Darren

p.s

Nutcase1 sorry I did not ignore you on purpose. The answer to your questions is yes.

20. nutcase_1uk

nutcase_1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I wonder if them being ex-demo made a difference to the cover? Don't know, it shouldn't do really, just it may have started when the dealer started using them. Either way, the guarantee terms should be the same, and you shouldn't have to pay labour. Bit late for that now though.

21. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    Rigman...thanks.....I'd like to reiterate my apologies for having caused such aggravation,and appreciate your apologies also.

Like yourself,I enjoy the forums very much,and agree completely with your comments about high end service.....I hope all this ends well,with the speakers(and all our feelings!)returned to normality in good time.

22. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    I will drink to that :smashin:

btw alexs2

Nice kit you have there.

Ruark will be phoning me tomorrow after they have tested the driver. I will let you knaow how it goes

Darren

23. narabdela

narabdela

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    [inappropriate comment deleted by admin]

24. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I must say that I have found Ruark to be excellent. They even gave me some impartial help in sourcing a pair of Prelude R's now that they are out of production. As it was I found some myself but was pleased that they didn't say 'buy the new ones instead'.

On the other hand, if I was paying £5k for a pair of speakers, I would expect top end service. Return to base would be nice. In this case, Ruark have honoured their warranty so they have behaved entirely properly. It's just that you might expect a better warranty to start with.

As it is, I would definately buy Ruark again but there is no way I would ever take a soldering iron to them. I'd probably melt the whole thing down.

25. mattheu

mattheu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Spectre

I am stunned by your 'you started phrase'

This could start a whole raft of this type of reasoning.

Quote'I'm not unsympathetic. .

Then you say you have an issue with him:

'I have issue with you because alexs2 called Ruark to try and sort out the problem for you. This itself was wrong IMO as it's interfering in your business. '

But agree that he interfered in his business

Then you tell hime how he may of answered

Perhaps a better response might have been something like 'Appreciate the intention but I'd rather you didn't interfere as I'm quite capable of resolving the problem myself' and leaving it at that.

Then you call him or his actions rediculous?

'I think that in the end if you had taken the speakers to a local Ruark dealer, the issue might have been resolved much less painfully and without the need for you to fire up the soldering iron (which is rediculous IMO).'

I'm not quite sure why you haven't retracted it or apologised.
    You have rather undermined your position (IMO).
    Maybe you had a bad day.
    We all learn from our mistakes though I suppose.

Mattheu

26. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Update

Well they did not call yesterday so I called them today and was put on to Rob (who is a really nice guy). He initially said they tested the voice coil and found no fault. He then put me on hold for an update from the service dept and after a few moments he came back saying they had had it on test for 24 hours and found a fault which is intermittent so it is a good job they gave it a longfer test.
    He promised to send a new one to me which should arrive tomorrow. Have bought the best solder I could find and will put it back together and let you know what i think.

Bottom line

Service is improving :clap:

Darren

27. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    Good news there,rigman,hope it all goes together OK,and works well when it's done....some seriously expensive and delicate DIY!

28. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Well it arrived and after a bit of confusion over which terminal is the positive and which is the negative and a whole lot of swearing over the soldering I now have the fantastic sound quality I remember. The only trouble is that the brand new one is nice and shiny (soft dome) and the other one is a bit duller but I am sure that after a few weeks of dust gathering then the new one will match the old one.

One interesting thing is the driver is actually made by Dynaudio.

So the service was okay in the end and Rob is a nice guy but I would have been a whole lot happier if I had sent the top half of the speaker away and it was returned with a brand new driver already installed instead of me having to do it.

Darren

29. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    Glad it all went together in the end,rigman,I know what it's like to have a few wires,and not know which one's the positive!

I agree with your comments about the top half of the speaker,but hate to think what the postage would have been,even by Omega or similar....if it was like when my TV was delivered,I can just see it being heaved into the back of a van,and dumped out at the other end as being too heavy!

Interesting about the driver origin...many speaker manufacturers have drivers made to their own spec by other companies....I suppose making your own represents an immense investment.

Glad it all ended well though.