Ruark Audio R5

New Forester

Established Member
Reaction score
Not sure this is the right place to post this because this has multiple uses. This is an all in one box. The main features are described here:

I installed this today so these are my first impressions. It was easy to set up. I have connected it to my LG TV using the optical connection. And I have used a line in to connect my Echo. It has DAB and FM radio, music streaming for Spotify, Amazon Music, Tidal and others. Plus phono for a record deck. And bluetooth.And a CD player. I cannot think of much it cannot do. I bought this after I found that the new B&O Soundstage was not compatible with my TV.

So far, I have listened to FM radio. Asked Alexa to play music and radio. Watched some TV. Played a Star Wars movie on my DVD player. Played some Youtube music from TV. And all I can say is WOW. I have not adjusted any default settings. I don't claim to be an audiophile, I know what decent sound is. This has it in spades. At £999 this is not cheap. But if you are looking for a simple single box music set up I doubt you will find anything better than the R5.

After a few weeks, I'll post again. But for now, I am very happy.

I's hard to find it in USA. I previously had an Ruark Audio R1. R1 its' incredible good for it's size and it sounds amazing. I sincerely advice Ruark Audio not to discontinue/or change the line of R1. Again, it's so well balanced for one/mono single speaker design and it sound phenomenal in a small/medium/or even large size room, don't want to go into details but I love it. I have no idea what exactly can make it so good/ the cabinet design? or the full-range driver?! Anyhow I ended buying an additional R5. And sincerely sounds OK/decent but I am not considering audiophile. Stereo separation is just ok, overall image is ok. But listening to radio is overall a really good experience compared with any radio on the market. But is not something that would attract you to say let me play this CD! What I really like on R5 line is the easy way you can listen to almost anything/any source. Internet Radio source and browsing thru the phone app they provide is really good. The app its fluid and well optimized/easy to go thru the options. You can listen to absolutely anything plus Tidal/Spotify/Amazon Music etc. I like the remote/the way to control it also. A few years ago I found a really good deal on new Bang Olufsen Beoplay S3 (I am assuming was the end/or discontinued product) for 90$ a piece free shipping. And as an idea the sound on those two Beoplay S3 was with no exaggeration at least 3 times better than R5. Is no reason in even comparing them. Not to mention the price 10xtimes cheaper. Well I end-up returning them just because /the Bluetooth/network implementation was horrible. All other buyers reported same issues. Basically anything streaming was seconds delayed/and not synching, which was a mess in watching any video/any youtube or anything. But listening to music, oh boy sorry to say, R5 was crap compared with two Beoplay S3.
In my humble opinion R1 is best thing Ruark has :)

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom