RTINGS review of 55” X85J suggests 43” may be IPS (again!)

automatom

I was really hoping 2021 would bring the perfect 43” TV for me but it’s looking like Sony have skimped on the 43” model again. Has anyone managed to get their hands on one to find out? I’m sure the adjustable stand X89J variant has been available in some regions for a couple of weeks now…

thedude

Distinguished Member
Looks like people moan at the price of higher end smaller TVs with the concept no one buys them. Even avforums seem to be on that ship.
I’m in the same boat currently and fancy this tv too but finding stock or even a review is scarce.

automatom

I noticed Sony have dropped the 49” this year and everything starts at 50”. My living room is fairly small and I’m not one for having an overbearing TV, but at the same time I’d like it to be at least on par spec-wise with the bigger screen sizes - especially when its been sold under the same blimmin model number!

luke80

I noticed Sony have dropped the 49” this year and everything starts at 50”. My living room is fairly small and I’m not one for having an overbearing TV, but at the same time I’d like it to be at least on par spec-wise with the bigger screen sizes - especially when its been sold under the same blimmin model number!
At least with 50" we're guaranteed to get a VA panel (the irony is that the 49" 85 series model was the only 49" TV I was aware of to already have a VA panel...

The move from 40" to 43" has destroyed the concept of a bedroom TV (which inherently operates in low light conditions) because the latter is almost always IPS. There will likely be 42" OLEDs but most people won't be splashing the cash for one of those when/if they eventually launch.

The worrying thing for me are some of the Rtings reviews of 2021 Sony TVs suggest IPS panels at much larger sizes that we typically thought ourselves 'safe' from beyond LG (and Philips in some cases).

N1ck

I know that the viewing angles of VA screeens aren’t as good as IPS but with VA being superior when does the viewing angle of VA become The same as viewing IPS?

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom