RTE on a UK TV Set in the ROI?

Bullseye

Standard Member
Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum, this is my first question:

I purchased a TV set in the UK (which is where I live) and installed it in my caravan, I went on holiday to Dublin and tried to tune into the TV channels, on analogue I got the RTE channels but they were fuzzy... so I tried to tune into them on the digital setting, there isn't no Ireland setting so I had to use the UK setting, I got the channels perfect sound, but no picture and a message was on the screen saying 'invalid format' the brand is Cello, just wondering if there is something that can be done about this?:lease:

Thanks in advance.

~John~

lbear

Novice Member
Andy is partly right. Saorview is based on the Nordig standard used in Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden. Unlike Freeview HD, this uses the older DVB-T transmission standard, not the newer DVB-T2 used by Freeview HD. If your set has the option to be used in one of those Nordic countries, you may well be able to receive the picture and sound but not necessarily the text services and you are unlikely to get OTA updates.

I suspect your Cello television is a badged Vestel made model and might have been designed for the whole European market but with specific software for the UK text services. Some brands lock out use in other countries, even if the set is capable of being used.

People have used a very cheap Freeview HD box to access Soarview although again the slight differences mean that text and the full EPG may not be available. The Bush Saorview box sold by Argos is almost certainly the same hardware as their Freeview HD box (actually a Vestel T8300) but with Soarview specific modifications to the software. Currently the Vestel is available badged as a Lowry Freeview HD box in Morrisons for £19.99 or Tesco are doing a different "refurbished" Freeview HD box for the same price on their Ebay outlet. I can thoroughly recommend the Tesco box for Freeview HD and it should work in Ireland however there are no guarantees it will be fully functional with Saorview. Other people have stated they have used the Vestel with a 12 volt regulated power supply fed into its DC adapter input and this may be of interest for caravan use.

winston2010

For a TV to work in Ireland it must be capable of Freeview HD, a normal Freeview TV will not pick up the channels. Irish digital is transmitted the same way our Freeview HD is.
http://www.saorview.ie/

It doesn't need to be Freeview HD, it needs to be MPEG 4 capable. However Freeview HD uses MPEG 4 so they will work.

You should have got perfect analogue pictures in Dublin from the Kippure transmitter providing your set can tune VHF, many modern UK sets can, and had a VHF aerial.

Boostrail

Distinguished Member
It doesn't need to be Freeview HD, it needs to be MPEG 4 capable. However Freeview HD uses MPEG 4 so they will work.

You should have got perfect analogue pictures in Dublin from the Kippure transmitter providing your set can tune VHF, many modern UK sets can, and had a VHF aerial.

I agree the box needs only to be DVB-T Mpeg 4. Apart from Nordiq this is used in other parts of the world e.g. NZ. Many UK model tV's will decode this. However the fact that a box/TV is DVB-T2 does ot imply that it will decode DVB-T Mpeg4 signals.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom