RTE compatible PVR

bmcg01

Novice Member
Reaction score
hi

i'm trying to get a PVR for my elderly father to replace his old vhs recorder.

the problems are: firstly, he lives in the north of Ireland but his aerial/reception comes from south of the border - this was to enable him to pick up the RTE broadcast - & likewise w/the digital switchover, he receives the Republic of Ireland transmission of RTE so certain stuff isn't locked out.

secondly, he received today this: Buy Bush Freeview HD Smart Digital TV Recorder - 500GB at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for Digital TV recorders. & it seems to be a piece of shit. any time it gets tuned in the RTE channels of channels drop off after a few minutes. (i've read elsewhere it may be to some limitations of only being able to have 100 channels on the list? well i tried deleting channels but still the RTE channels dropped off after a couple of minutes.)

i've already been to this thread Need advice for a good PVR that's SIMPLE to use....... | AVForums but it really wasn't what i was looking for as i kinda want a stand alone PVR box for him or a smart box that has wifi (his tv isn't near the router). tbh smart/catch-up isn't a big issue - he just wants to be able to record things like he did in the 1980s!

can anyone please advise?
he has another Bush box but that's just a freeview Hd box & it receives RTE with no drop out. we had it connected to the VHS but the problem w/that was he couldn't watch a different station while recording.

tl;dr - is RTE from the republic of ireland compatible w/any PVR or will this always happen?
i was thinking about getting him that hitachi from argos but even it looks dodgy..
humax hdr-2000t or panasonic dmr-hwt130?? or prob just avoid argos altogether..

DMR-HWT130 works fine for Freeview and Saorview based in ROI. But you won't get detailed program synopsis for the Saorview channels on the EPG. HDR-2000t also works fine but there may be a problem keeping both EPGs live at the same time. In such case if you have a program scheduled to record on FV and you are watching a SV channel it will not work. So if you can live with the no program synopsis then the Panasonic is better. I have a similar Panasonic.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom