1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RTCW..The next big Live FPS...

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by Bonesy, Apr 27, 2003.

1. Bonesy

Bonesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    well, got fired up to play some Ghost Recon yesterday...

and some Brits I was playing with were raving about the reviews for the forthcoming Return to Castle Wolfenstein..

16 player games on Live !!

C'mon, lets see who's first on AVF for visit the castle on Live :smashin:

2. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    I can't see 16 players on at once can you?
    I have the demo & i'm not that keen at the mo but then i said that about Recon:D
    But i won't be getting RTCW as i'll be too busy burning up the track on moto gp2.

3. Bonesy

Bonesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    fair point, we get enough friendly fire incidents when it's just four of us... 16 would be mayhem.. talk about 'dad's army':clown:

4. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    LOL:D
    I know what you mean, but i was meaning it would have loads of lag with that amount of players on at once.

5. Bonesy

Bonesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    well, I'd guess they'd design the servers differently so that it would work better than GR? surely they must test these things before claiming it.

Or, they say they can do 16 players, on a LAN it'll work, on Live, you're dreaming.

6. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Get yourselves a PC for "multiplayer" games. It been established for years and U can play in environments that have hundreds if not thousands online at once.
    I'm currently playing Black Hawk Down on line and I've been on servers where 50 people have been playing at once with no impact on ping times whatsoever. The maps in this game can be huge so the more the merrier.
    Still I think X box live is great and will be a great success but i'll be sticking with the pc for online play.

7. Bonesy

Bonesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    fair point Hawklord, I'm just lazy, and cheap, so like my few hours of weekly gaming sanitized and consumerized and instantly gratifying... and Consoles deliver me lightweight gaming better than PCs.

I've seen some of the latest PC multiplayers, blimey, you are right they're huge.

8. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    I thought Ghost Recon was peer to peer, hence the low number of players due to bandwidth. Unreal Championship uses servers and already has 16 player games, though they can lag a bit at times (and due to the small maps 16 player DM is quite rubbish - just random death as everyone is squeezed in a small space).

9. mr chadwick

mr chadwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    for me my xbox and xbl are a godsend.cos my fred flintstone pc with its 2bob soundcard and graphics card,it would virtually impossible to play online.so xbl was a cheaper option for me.but back to the point i will be purchasing rtcw on the day it comes out.i dont fancy moto gp 2,too many ****s on there for my liking,ie deliberately knocking you off,wrong way etc.then i get frustrated when i cant catch them up and do the same to them.

give me a game where i can sneak up on someone and blow their brains out,then im a happy camper!!

also anyone know the best place to order rtcw and get it a few days early? i was going to use play247 but i think it will be in shops first.

10. -Spike-

-Spike-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    I do know what you mean Mr C but I think this is less likely on Moto 2.
    For a start this is a seperate game at around £39.99 and not in the kit so I would think only the more serious people are probably going to purchase this. Secondly I think there is an option in the sequel to stop people riding backwards.

However, after all that I think I'll probably go for RTCW over this. Lets face it if you've played the first game the sequel will probably just be more of the same, apart from maybe quite so many messing around on it.

The screen shots I've seen for RTCW do look promising.
    Does anyone know if there are any reviews yet or is it still too early?

11. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Not getting Moto 2 eh? thats a shame but your loss:D
    I think there is a review of RTCW in the oxm that is in shops now go buy it you tight git it has a 2 level demo :laugh:
    also try www.gamespot.com they might have one.

SOS anyone want to play moto 2 with me :( :D

12. -Spike-

-Spike-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Thank you for that informative and friendly reply :laugh:

Gamespot has a preview which sounds impressive. Included are lots of customisable options for XBL (one thing I like about Ghost Recon) which should add to it's longevity. The newer screenshots look good too.

One to watch maybe.

:)

13. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Not a problem mate:smashin: :laugh:

14. matiano

matiano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah I am looking forward to RTCW, had it on PC but I think it will flourish on XBL, I wont be buying it 4 the one player anyway (as good as it may be). But it sit nicely in between UC (explosions, death arrggh!) and GR (shhhhh, tension) so I think it will be my most suited online FPS yet.
    Will also be getting Moto GP 2 although prob not 4 a few weeks due to finances.

15. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah, thats where I have been going wrong with GR. I usually see an enemy and keep firing until I run out of ammo, miss completely and then get capped in the head.

No, I jest but I did have a good firefight on Red Square last night. The bit where you go into the tight passage, I opened the door and there were 5 or 6 guys in there. All my comrades gathered behind me and I went for the anti-tank missile. Unfortunately I managed to fire it into the wall about 2 feet away, wiping out all of us and all of them in one go.

Fantastic!

16. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    By the way, does anyone else suffer from the odd game where it all goes wobbly and you fire at people but not hit them etc.

Obviously a net connection problem but is it me or is the guy hosting too many players?

17. -Spike-

-Spike-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Strange I could have sworn someone posted an answer to this yesterday, still I'd had a few :confused:

Steve,

Yes I think it's safe to say we've all had that problem sometime or another.
    Generally hosting 5-6 with normal connection speeds will be ok. Of course find someone with a "bigger pipe" (1-2meg) and you can safely increase those numbers.
    Also worth bearing in mind is the amount of hits you've taken, this also has an adverse effect on your aiming accuracy.
    Your stance also comes into play here as well with laying down being most accurate followed by standing and then kneeling.

:)

18. Bonesy

Bonesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Here's a trick,

I think dependant on what gun you have, if you are running at someone and see them as they see you, quickly drop to the ground.

As you kneel and then lie down, you'll still be able to aim and fire, however you'll also confuse them and give them a smaller target. they were probably aiming at your body, which has now moved.

This technique seems to work well on the docks, especially with a gun like the OICW.

19. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    But what if their already on the ground:confused: :D

20. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jason,

The problem I occasionally get is that I see a baddy and he may stop moving. I put a few rounds into him and he just starts walking on the spot. He doesn't move around and I can walk right up to him and open up but he won't die. Then, suddenly he will turn around and shoot me! Maybe it's my connection speed but it seems fine most of the time. It appears that others are suffering too as such games will usually end quickly and the host will exit.

Great game though.

21. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    That is lag for sure, what connection have you got?
    This has happened to me a few times & i have a 600k it's down to people trying to host too many players at once:rolleyes:

22. Bonesy

Bonesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Oh, well, I don't tend to see those,

(personally, I think lieing down, hiding behind buildings and shooting from behind are all forms of cheating, spoiling it for us true Ghost Recon advocates).

23. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have various means of connecting from ISDN 64 to ADSL and it happens on all of them. I have had good games on ISDN 128 and bad games on 1Mb DSL. Like you say, I reckon it's down to people trying to host too many. I have yet to host a game as my home connection is ISDN 128 which allows me to play fine but is way too slow to host. Should be getting ADSL at home on May 21st when my exhchange is enabled.

24. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Yeah if you like to run around shooting anything that moves why not go buy unreal :p

I like to hide with a sniper rifle, because i hate getting too close much better to pop someone from far away:D

25. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    Medal of honor is the best online game i have played followed by Battlefield these are the games to get if they come out on Xbox,

26. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Problem I find with the sniper is that everyone else gets all the kills while you wait for something to come along. There are a few, like the docks where the sniper is best as you can get up on the crane and whack at will.

I have found that I prefer to be an explosives guy as you can get the SA80 or M4 for accurate single shot or burst fire and you can also have grenades or tank busters for a bit of extra fun.

Still, if you don't like the sight of blood.......

27. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135

Not true, if you learn the maps you know where all the enemy are & with that in mind you'll get the most kills because you be able to see them well before someone with a 5.56 rifle.
    Plus the sniper has better range ect: each to there own though :)

Ps me & spikey have been useing the OCIW with GL that is one gun to get if you really want to have some fun:D

Still haven't had you any games yet, i've sent you invites but you never join :confused:

28. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jason,

have you sent me invites when I have been online? I swear I haven't had any or I would be over like a shot. Would love to have a game with you guys. I must admit I'm a bit of a div when it comes to working the whole friends/ invite thing.

I'll try harder. Currently having connection problems but getting ADSL installed at home in the next couple weeks so that should improve matters.

29. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Yeah i've sent you invites this is how it works:)

You'll see an envelope in the top right of the screen
    when you see it press start on your control & you'll see friends list, go into that & you'll see the envelope at the side of my tag.
    press A on my tag & it'll say join Master killa in game just press yes & you'll join my game.

HTH

30. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK mate, I thought that was my orders.

Hehe.

Hopefully see you soon and I'll try not cap you in the back of the head in the first 10 seconds.