Rss315ho-4 setup advice

gary3529

Standard Member
Looking to build two small subs to go in the front corners of my room

Room is more of a second lounge than a dedicated room so I’m trying to keep it looking discreet

Max size I’ve got to play with is 60w 51h 19d cm so about 40l

Been having a read up the last few weeks but don’t currently have access to a pc so been unable to try and get my head around winisd
but with the volume I’ve got to play with and the depth constrain I’m thinking of going with a xls10 in each box but thought I’d see if anyone had any other suggestions. There is the Dayton audio rss265ho-4 and possibly the rss315ho-4 that i think will work in this size box but unsure if there worth spending the extra over the xls10

budget would like to keep it under £200 each driver

Thanks

simonb3665

xls10 will give a naturally flatter response but would be more limited in total output. Pretty much a bk xls200 with that driver/volume.
Personally, I would be tempted to cram in as much driver into the box as possible. I'm sure you already know, but the bigger the box the easier it is to do. The rss315ho-4 can work in that size. It does depend on if you have the eq to shape the response though.
What amplification/eq are you looking at?

Upvote 0

gary3529

Standard Member
Probably either the nx3000d or 6000d depending on what’s needed
just not sure if spending twice the amount or more of the xls10 is going to give me anything extra in such a small box
I really need to sort out a windows laptop so i can have a look at winisd

Upvote 0

Conrad

I have a couple of super cheap laptops in the classifieds if you're interested?

Upvote 0

simonb3665

Again just my preference but I would push my budget with the driver. I know that's always the answer on here :) In this instance, though I have tried two 10 subs (Lyngdorf bw2, nice but expensive) and I was left wanting for the deep stuff in movies compared to, admittedly much bigger subs. For music though, more than enough for me.
Depends on your goals really. If you did get the xls and were disappointed you can always sell them on ebay and cut a bigger hole in the future.
If you get me the below ill do a very basic check in winisd for a few drivers.
A = Qes
B = Qms
C = Fs
D = Re
E = Vas
F = Pe
G = Xmax
H = BL

Upvote 0

gary3529

Standard Member
Ive sorted a laptop but I’m currently isolating till the weekend so can’t get my hands on it till next week
Spent some of today just looking to see what will actually fit depth and volume wise
I think its between these four

dayton rss265ho-4 & rss315ho-4
dayton Um10-22
peerless xls10

Daytons are both double the price of the xls

And i could if really needed fit a 15/18 in the bay window at the back of the room

i will have a go at winisd next week hopefully it will help me understand things a bit more but thanks for offering

Upvote 0

12harry

Distinguished Member
Why two? There is no stereo image at SUB-frequencies.
If you are going the Peerless XLS10 route, then get the Mfr Notes before you design your own cabinet.
Peerless suggest quite a small sealed box.. However, that also means quite a steep LF filter and AFIK Peerless were not suggesting a suitable circuit.... and you need the assistance of someone with electronics ability.
FWIW I think the BK Subs use the 8" version, as it requiring an even smaller enclosure and that appeals to the women. Plus it's lighter, reducing transport costs..

+Let us know what you do - and how well it works...

Upvote 0

gary3529

Standard Member
Reason for two was i can sometimes tell where my sub placed this may be down to poor integration or my current sub M&K KX-10 is to small for my room (4.8m x 3.6m)
I might even build one for now and add a second later on if needed we don’t listen overly loud about -20

Still haven’t got round to looking at winisd to busy trying to finish up a new screen and change of lcr
But I’m leaning more towards the Dayton Rss315ho-4

Upvote 0

gary3529

Standard Member
Had a look at winisd and if I’m honest it went a little over my head so I’ve bit the bullet and ordered a nx6000d and a single Rss315ho-4 these should be with me next week will try and get a box built up over the weekend and will see how it goes

Upvote 0

gary3529

Standard Member
Finally got round to building one then had problems with Behringers NXDirect software and my laptop not playing together anyway just managed to run some tests just wondered if someone could take a qick look and just let me know what i need to be doing next as its going a little over my head

I think i'm right in thinking there not to great these test are done with ypao off and all ive done on the behringer is set a peak limiter

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom