RSDL Rot

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by bixbarton, Nov 22, 2000.

1. bixbarton

bixbarton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone experienced DVD Rot yet?

I sat down on Saturday to watch my R1 of Matrix and just after Neo had the fight with the agent, it went loopy.

Eventually my Sony player reported the disc was dirty (CH 13 00) so I cleaned the disc, spotless. Put it back in. Same problem. I went through this 4 times, started to get paranoid that the Sony was damaged. So tested some other discs, no problem.

So I decided to check out the Techtronics website to get the instructions for running an Auto Calibration on the Sony, and came across a document on RSDL Rot.

Apparently this can affect Dual Layer DVDs, mainly those from Warner Bros. The discs it mentioned were War Games, Contact, Midnight In The Garden Of Good And Evil, LA Confidential and The Matrix.

Did some more searching on the net and found that it is a problem with the adhesive used on RSDL discs and shoddy manufacture. If the adhesive used is less resilient against moisture and there are hairline cracks at the end of the disc, then moisture gets in, reacts with the adhesive, then all manner of trouble starts with the lower layer.

So my The Matrix is already affected. I'm now worried that my Wargames is next up. Anyone else out there had similar problems?

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just keep your disks in better condition! Nobody lend this guy disks! LOL

------------------
    Richy B

That is a matter of opinion and I don't give a **** about yours!

3. Norman

Norman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +524
    Yes.
    My R1 boxset of "From The Earth to the Moon" suffered this problem.
    It worked fine for the first viewing, but when I tried to watch it a year later, disc 1 had a problem right on the layer change.
    Although the boxset was more than a year old, Amazon still sent me out a new one free of charge (I didn't have to return the old one either).
    I think this problem is a thing of the past and only affected the first wave of RDSL disc's. I think it was caused by the glue holding the layers together breaking down.

4. bixbarton

bixbarton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Grow up Richy B.

I pride myself on the condition I keep my discs in. Although I do worry about one guy I have lent discs, including The Matrix, to in the past.

He had claimed that his Mulan, Tarzan and Heat were all broken. When I looked at the discs they were all covered in greasy fingerprints and dust. I cleaned them and, surprise surprise, they worked 100% again.

He is one of those people who fell for the original CD marketing hype about how you could eat your dinner off or write on a CD and it would still play after giving it a wipe.

So he expected to be able to manhandle DVDs as well.

Soon corrected him on that assumption.

5. GarethH

GarethH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Laser Rot on DVD is usually due to poorly pressed discs. You can usually see it by holding sideways to the light and it appears as a hayze/mist.

If you live in the US, the movie companies will always replace the title free of charge (but thats no help to you).