RSA Hornet - Shipping & Cables

Drunkeh

Any shipped one into the UK? Did you get hit by customs:confused: ?

Also, ive read the amp is a little forward in its presentation and a tad aggressive, anyone any experience using silver lineout docks (iPOD), I'm guessing the brightness of the silver cable will exascerbate the forwardness of the amp?

Thanks
Drunkeh

Any shipped one into the UK? Did you get hit by customs:confused: ?

Also, ive read the amp is a little forward in its presentation and a tad aggressive, anyone any experience using silver lineout docks (iPOD), I'm guessing the brightness of the silver cable will exascerbate the forwardness of the amp?

Thanks
Drunkeh

I wasn't hit by customs but there is a risk in what you declare, etc if you declare the value at say $100 then they tend not to hit you but if you do declare the full value say $350 then you most likely will unless they say gift but even so you may. But the risk is that if it's lost thats all you can claim for. I'm not sure about the silver brightness thing (and I have loads of cables of various materials) but I do notice that it has loads of bass which can be very apparent on RnB tracks and the like (which use artifical means mainly to produce low bass) but on say Jazz or classical it's fine.

I personally don't think it has that forward a presentation and thats comparing it to dozens of amps (portable and home)

"This message was written while listening to some Jazz on my 5g ipod, RSA Hornet, Shure e500 with custom foam buds ....:smashin: "

Drunkeh

Ray very kindley said he will tick gift so fingers crossed. It seems wierd, (from my limited reading) most UK people who mention the Hornet, dont complain about forwardness too much, but the US listerners ALWAYS mention it. Wonder if its a transatlantic listening quirk....

hmm got the 5g iPOD, getting the Hornet....e500's, the missus will kill meh!

thanks Reano :rotfl:

It also depends on your headphones too Grado's for example do have a forward sound even soft amps like Marantz can't mask it. The RSA with the combo you have will be outstanding. I like the westone UM2 foamies (black, Grey) or some funny colour ones I got from states ... fantastic ..

For me the states is like there food they have too much variety and then every piece of equipment they have or use 'appears' to have endless variety. Sometimes this is good but like the Japanese AV amps that use to have every kind of tone, dsp, etc it's not always good. Anyway I'm rambling enjoy .... back to my Hornet

pcllau

Standard Member
Hi Drunkeh,

I been looking to source a Ray Samuels Audio Hornet headphone amplifier in the UK, but sadly can only purchase direct from Ray Samuels Audio website. But then I came across this forum and your messages in this thread, and another. I was wondering what your experience was with purchasing direct from the supplier in the USA i.e. do you still get no quibbles 3 yr warranty, what were the postage and packaging charges, and were you charged by customs.

I'd very much appreciate your advice based on your experience shopping at Ray Samuels Audio. Hopefully, I will have an amplifier to match my Grado sr325i headphones in the near future.

many thanks

pcllau :hiya:

Steven

Senior Moderator
I bought a Tomahawk from Ray. What he does is undervalue the amp you order so the customs hit is less. He may well mark it as a gift but all customs have to do is open it and see it is a commercial purchase

Good news is they do not know how expensive headphone amps can be as I was only hit for £10 :p

The warranty is tied to the serial number and not the buyer so Ray gives you the 3 years accordingly

pcllau

Standard Member
That is great news for me. Thanks for that LFC_SL!!!:thumbsup: How long did it take for Ray to deliver the Tomahawk?

pcllau :hiya:

Steven

Senior Moderator
It took Ray 2 days

It took USPS about one working week to get it to the UK I believe. It took customs 3 weeks to release it for some reason :rolleyes:

Then Royal Mail got it to me within 2 days

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom