1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rs-232 What Is It And How Does It Work

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by brendank, Dec 24, 2003.

1. brendank

brendank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hello All

still searching for options that will allow me to completely integrate and control all my a/v and lighting via one remote, the bang olufsen beo 4.

:confused:

i bought 2 lutron graffikeye light control units on ebay, and because i purchased some other items from the seller off ebay he threw in the lutron GBO RS-232 for free.

He couldnt tell me exactly what it is or what it does as he had taken it out of a house that they had recently upgraded, and his expertise was in lighting control. The serial on the unit is GBO-RS 232 it also specifically states on the front of this unit that it is for use with bang olufsen equipment.

so now i have 2 graffikeyes and a RS-232 I know i can link the graffikeyes together for light control but if the RS-232 can offer more opportunities to integrate all my av equipment as well i would like to do it.

any help or advise you can offer to point me in the right direction would be most appreciated.

Thanks

:confused: :confused: :confused:

2. applevenus

applevenus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did you google it ?

This is what google threw back - includes manual and other data.

3. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    RS-232 is the name given to the interface which on PCs is implemented as the COM ports, aka 'serial' ports. The RS-232 standard tells you how to connect to pieces of equipment, it doesn't tell you anything about what they will say to each other, IOW you'd need to have documentation telling you what data is sent to and from the device.

4. brendank

brendank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    many thanks for the replies

applevenus thanks for the link just what i neded;) I see your based in dublin aswell, you wouldnt happen to be in the business would you as i need someone to install this for me.

my question now is do you think it is worthwhile installing it or are there any better options out there that i dont know of?:confused:

the small amount of research i have done seems to say that rs232 interface is somewhat dated and that usb devices are the future for integrating all your av and lighting systems is this true?

thanks again

brendan

5. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    RS-232 is indeed an old standard .. which of course means it works and isn't subject to the whims of marketing departments. ;)

It's true however that RS-232 in the form of serial ports are now no longer present in many PCs, and I don't think have been present on Macs for some time .. however A/V equipment still carries them, several current projectors for example use RS-232 to connect service terminals for maintenance and set-up.

As for deciding which technology you want to use, I don't think you have much of a choice, I've not seen any A/V equipment equipped with both. Apart from RS-232 (aka 'serial') and USB another common one is Firewire (aka. 1394), then there's wireless in various guises, etc.

It all depends on what you're looking to do .. IMO there's no one-size-fits-all solution, there are too many vested interests pushing competing, incompatible 'standards' .. so what's new? :)

6. applevenus

applevenus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hiya Brendank - I'm not 'in the business' though I have some knowledge of AV equipment and associated technology. Suggest you contact the manufacturer and ask who their rep in ireland is.

Serial is probably going to be in use for some time. USB will need a current so isn't suitable for long distances.

7. brendank

brendank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    hi again guys,

i trust you all had an enjoyable christmas and are looking forward to the new year celebrations.

so what i have garnered from all your replies is that

RS-232 is old but works.

i do not think that the device which i got is worth installing as it only offers me the opportunity to turn my tv on and off via the light switch, i think my bang olufsen remote is more than adequate for this function, now if somebody can point me in the direction of any other hardware that can be used in conjunction with it i would be interested in exploring it further

As for deciding which technology i should use,i agree with you kragorn "I don't think there is much of a choice", as there is no industrial standard for A/V equipment and consequently each manufacturers appear to be pulling in different directions. from what i have learned you can opt for an RS-232 interface , USB devices, Firewire, infrared transmittors/ receivers and wireless all in various guises, etc.

the most interesting and flexible solution that i have come across appears to be software driven, however unless you are savy with computers and software this option may prove daunting to say the least.I wonder is there anyone on this forum who is set up to write the necessary software/device drivers etc that would be needed

just my two cents worth please feel free to comment/ disect/ tear apart/ridicule my comments as much as you feel necessary. If it helps anybody else in my situation to understand this topic a little bit more it is worth it

Brendan

:confused: