RS-232 Serial Cables

Oblomov

Established Member
Reaction score
My Velodyne DD15 requires a RS-232 M/F Serial cable and the manual states that it should be the "mouse extension" rather than the "null modem" type. Can anybody tell me what the difference between the two cables is and how to identify them? I have a serial cable, supplied with my DVDO video processor, which I suspect is the correct type, but how can I tell?

Apologies for the banal questions and thanks for your help.
Regards,
Oblomov

I have worked in serial comms for over 12 years and have never heard of "mouse extension" :D

looking it up on the net my guess is the ME cable is a direct pin to pin cable and also male one end and female at the other

Dognosh,

Thanks for your input. I have found out that a null modem cable is reverse wired, whereas, as you suggest, an extension type cable has to be straight wired. Obvious, when you know! Both types can have a variety of M/F combinations though.

What I still don't know is how to visually identify the two different cables. It is not too important, however, as I have been told by a knowledgeable member that the DVDO cable is straight wired.

Thanks, Oblomov

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom