RS-232 control of LCD TV from PC

s.t.s

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi guys

I have a LG 37" LC2D TV and it has an RS-232 port and I have a list of commands in the manual. I have purchased a USB>RS-232 cable and hooked it up. But I can see no way to "send" the commands over the cable? I have searched and searched and can find all sorts of posts about which commands to send for other devices etc, but none on *how* to send them :(

Anyone know how to do this - I am sure it is pretty basic but not something I have ever done before and I haven't even been able to harness google to help me out :(

All help and advice greatly appreciated.

a quick bump seeing as the forum is nice and busy today hoping someone out there can point me in the right direction??

I know my dealer controls equipment via 232, uses Creston hardware/software. Dunno if that helps.:confused:

thanks ... I think you may mean Crestron? seems a bit "high-end" for me ...

Just a tip on how to send commands is all I need ... I have a feeling it may be possible using a bat file or cammond prompt?

Anyone got any ideas

I am pretty sure a bat file is the way to go but struggling with the syntax ... anyone got any tips on how it should be setout

I am trying to send [k][d][space][1][space][1][carriagereturn]

I have:
Code:
MODE COM3:9600,8,1>NULL
ECHO kd1 1 1
but that doesn't seem to do the trick :(

You need a comms program like hyper terminal if you wanna test it.

If you are sending ascii you should be using quotes around your text and then pipe to the com port.

In DOS:
echo "eric cartman" >com1:

If you can program write it in visual c++ or borland builder that way you can do all sorts of tricks like turn your tv on in the morning with $ky news.

does my tosh 42X3030 have a coms port ?
if yes, anyone has a list of commands ?

I'm on Vista so no hyper-terminal :( I have found a little proggy call "command line terminal" but not sure if it works like hyper-terminal.

I am no programmer but I dont really want anything clever, all I want is for my PC to "wake" my monitor when it is on and make it "sleep" when the PC goes off.

@dognosh ... just had a quick look at your manual and no sign of an rs-232 port in there :(

Download a coms program from the net then you can experiment.

bump

I am struggling here guys :( can anyone recommend a free coms program that will do what I want. the only things I have found don't seem to work as *I* expect them to (which is not to say they don't work, just I don't understand how to use them)

bump

I am struggling here guys :( can anyone recommend a free coms program that will do what I want. the only things I have found don't seem to work as *I* expect them to (which is not to say they don't work, just I don't understand how to use them)

I think you'll find a google search for "Tera Term" will give you what you need.

When connecting to a device which has a serial (RS-232) port, not only should there be instructions relating to the commands it supports, but also the appropriate settings for establishing a connection (baud rate, data bits, parity, stop bits and, on occasion, flow control). These settings will often be presented in a format like this:-

9600-8-n-1, or 9600, 8, n, 1
(9600 baud, 8 data bits, no parity, 1 stop bit)

The terminal client (like Tera Term) will present you with fields to complete for these settings after which there will be a "connect" option (or similar). After you connect to a serial device it is often necessary to "wake it up" - that is when you connect, the terminal client will say that you are connected, but you find yourself staring at a blank screen. Hit the enter key a couple of times and see if anything happens. From there it's a case of entering the commands you have at your disposal to see what happens...

Beyond this, I'm not sure there's any more I can advise you on if the instructions for this TV aren't obvious. Alas, not all devices will give you an positive response to acknowledge what you are doing - or in some cases wont give you a response if the command you are entering is incorrect, it will only acknowledge properly formatted commands. Sometimes this is because the connection settings aren't quite right (in which case you can only experiment, by selecting slower baud rates - though the 8,n,1 settings are pretty consistent), or the RS-232 connection is designed more for engineers and repairers who will know what do do with the connection because they have a service manual.

You can download Hyperterminal Private Edition, which is free for personal use, from:

http://www.hilgraeve.com/htpe/download.html

Not sure if it is Vista compatible, but it's worth a try.

BTW the RS232 ports on some TVs are there to update the digital tuner software and don't have a connection to the rest of the set. I'm not sure if this will apply to your LG though.

Thanks guys ... I just found the HTPE file earlier and tried that.

Yes the LG purportedly allows full set control and provides all the commands and communication parameters in the manual. I have configured HTPE with these settings but still can't seem to make it work .. I only had a very brief tinker before popping out last night though so will have a more in depth play and see how I do. It should give an ACK or ERR response as well but I get nothing which suggests I am missing something still.

Sure I will get there eventually, with a little help from you guys ;) Cheers :)

This is an old thread, but I'm wondering if you got anywhere with control of the TV

I'm planning to attempt serial control of either a 32" LG or a 32" Samsung

Does anyone have any pointers or links to somewhere detailing the control commands? (Using the LG would be my preference)

*if* you didn't get it working and still want to then you might check the RS232 lead is the correct type cross-over or straight. Plus you may/may not need hardware handshaking connections linked or connected.

Hi

I did get there in the end ... but if I recall I couldn't set the input for some reason ... could do things like mute/unmute etc ... I was probably getting the command wrong :(

Unfortunately not long after sussing it out I got three dead pixels and returned it to the shop, but they did not have a suitable LG panel for me to swap for so I had to get a Philips one that doesn't have RS-232 control :(

Good luck with your efforts though

Hi

I did get there in the end ... but if I recall I couldn't set the input for some reason ... could do things like mute/unmute etc ... I was probably getting the command wrong :(

Unfortunately not long after sussing it out I got three dead pixels and returned it to the shop, but they did not have a suitable LG panel for me to swap for so I had to get a Philips one that doesn't have RS-232 control :(

Good luck with your efforts though

Hi S.T.S,

I'm having a problem with entering the Lg Control Codes & was wondering if u remember how u entered them.?

I have tried [k][a] [] [0] & so on, but that does not work, i also tried ka 0 & can't get them to work either, I know that I'm sending them to the correct comport & that the baud setting's & such are the same as in the manual?

I'm trying to input the control codes with a program called lookrs 232, can u suggest another program mate, as i'ts starting to get at me now.lol

There are probably loads of people who have a problem with entering the codes correctly & I can't understand why Lg have not got a good explaination as to how to do it on their web site.?

Thank's in Advance.
Dave

Hi Dave,

So far I appear to have full control over the TV functions (everything I've tried has worked except turning it on via 232)

The instructions supplied with the TV are not that useful and in my case was also incorrect on the baud rate settings. My TV is running at 115200 baud and not at 9600 as shown in the manual.

I've been using Hyperterminal to do the biz - just remember to enable 'Echo typed characters' in the ASCII setup section else whatever you type will not be shown. Make sure you set the TV ID code and don't type the [] characters and hit enter after each command. eg.

kf 1 20

The TV will respond with:-
F 01 OK20x

and the onscreen display will show volume 32

Hope that helps

Bob

Hi Netgap,

Thank's for the prompt reply mate.

don't type the [] characters

Why did they put them in the manual, that leads u down the wrong road for starters.lol

Is Hyperterminal in windows xp or can I download It free, I am not a computer wizkid & don't know about these thing's but learn very fast when told correctly.

Cheers
Dave

By default hyperterminal is supplied with XP. You'll find it at:-

START -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Communications

Hyperterminal allows you to save the configuration, if you get stuck I can send you my config file.

Goodmorning NetGap,

I downloaded hyperterminal private edition V.5 that has now taken over the XP one, i dont know if your config will work with this terminal but would be great to have it, I will try & revert it back to the original one.

I tried entering the codes a few times but I dont know if Im doing it right.?

Thanks Again Mate
Dave

Last edited:
The settings I have used are:-

Baud Rate : 115200
Data Bits : 8
Parity : None
Stop Bits : 1
Flow Control : Hardware

I've also enabled 'Send line feeds with line ends' & 'Echo typed characters locally'

The echo option is only needed if your terminal doesn't display the commands you type.

It's unlikely the newer version will accept the config file and I can't see how to attach a file within the forum. If you do want it then private message me your email.

In the LG manual there is a diagram of the serial lead required. The lead must be a crossover type and if you select hardware flow control (as I did) you will need the full RS232 lead.

Let me know how it goes

Bob

I'm having a similar problem with my LG tv and connecting through RS-232. I'm simply using the correct serial cable and hyper terminal. I have successfully connected to the TV and can control every aspect of it except turning it on. After turning it off i can't do anything. We had another tv that we could turn off and on. This is in a office building so it would be nice to automate turning off and on.

Turn off
ka 0b 00
Ok ACK in return

turn on but nothing happens
ka ob 01

has anyone had success in turning it on after turning it off

Last edited:
Old thread but as I found it earlier whilst looking for a solution, I thought I would update it having got this working.

This worked for me on an LG 32LH3000 so no reason why it would not work for the many other LG panels etc..

All of the codes are in the LG manual right at the back this is available from the LG website and came on a CD rom as packed with the panel itself.

I am using a Null Modem cable ( it is called crossed in the LG manual ) £1.50 delivered from eBay.

The settings for whatever client you use are as follows -

9600 N 8 1

open the terminal window then type the following -

ka 00 00<CR> Turns the panel off

So that is "ka<SpaceBar>ZeroZero<SpaceBar>ZeroZero<CarriageReturn>"

Then

ka 00 01<CR> Turns the panel on

"ka<SpaceBar>ZeroZero<SpaceBar>ZeroNumeral-one<CarriageReturn>"

You can assign Set ID numbers if you have multiple panels but the first 00 tells what ever is connected that ALL sets are to do the following command.

Every commmand that exists on the remote has a code so changing input, volume, mute etc... are all there.

R

Old thread but as I found it earlier whilst looking for a solution, I thought I would update it having got this working.

This worked for me on an LG 32LH3000 so no reason why it would not work for the many other LG panels etc..

All of the codes are in the LG manual right at the back this is available from the LG website and came on a CD rom as packed with the panel itself.

I am using a Null Modem cable ( it is called crossed in the LG manual ) £1.50 delivered from eBay.

The settings for whatever client you use are as follows -

9600 N 8 1

open the terminal window then type the following -

ka 00 00<CR> Turns the panel off

So that is "ka<SpaceBar>ZeroZero<SpaceBar>ZeroZero<CarriageReturn>"

Then

ka 00 01<CR> Turns the panel on

"ka<SpaceBar>ZeroZero<SpaceBar>ZeroNumeral-one<CarriageReturn>"

You can assign Set ID numbers if you have multiple panels but the first 00 tells what ever is connected that ALL sets are to do the following command.

Every commmand that exists on the remote has a code so changing input, volume, mute etc... are all there.

R

This is interesting.

Have you tried different settings? For example tried to connect at 115200. Or sending "ka 0 0<CR>" instead of "ka 00 00<CR>". Just to eliminate different variations.

I can't, for example connect with 9600 but 115200 seems to work, but I on the other hand haven't got the commands to work yet. :/

here is my code for On/Off functions in my AMX codes for a LG LE530C:
BUTTON_EVENT [dvTP,28] //force front LED on
{
Push:
{
send_string dvLED,"'ka 1 01',$0D" //Turn LED "ON"
nLEDPWR = 1
wait 20
{
send_string dvLED,"'xb 1 60',$0D" //set Front LED to RGB
}
}
}

BUTTON_EVENT [dvTP,29] //force front led off
{
Push:
{
send_string dvLED,"'ka 1 00',$0D" //Turn LED "OFF"
nLEDPWR = 0
}

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom